Teachers vs. Tutorials

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
Originally Posted by circusboy: This is called context. Its what doing CG is all about. Its where you spend your time finaling a shot in a production environment. Its understanding a tool well enough to know 'what' to tweak to have an effect work for your shot's context. If it were plug and play a monkey could do CG.
And this is why a monkey can't do CG.

Private tutors?! not sure this is an easy find.
-someone who is good with cg.
-who has the time to just sit with you and show you stuff one-on-one
aka why aren't they working?!
- someone who you could convince to do all this for a reasonable cost (by your standards). aka their normal daily rate will likely scare you off.

This is why online or group classes are a more likely available choice for you.

I'm just looking at options that's all. Someone mentioned that some CG artists do do some private tutoring and I imagine it like other tutoring where they are just there maybe an hour or two. In other words it's like a private lesson or consultation to what your problem is. It's not like they would just sit there all day watching you. That's ridiculous! Anyway, from what I've read about the state of the industry I'm sure there would be someone out there that's good enough at what they do and that just because someone isn't working doesn't mean they suck at what they do- hence they are unemployed. At least that's what the tone I get from you is, circusboy.

I hope to be a 3D generalist someday because I like doing different things and not the same thing all the time. I like learning new things. The problem with that is CG is so overwhelming and complex in what it's able to do. This is why I'm trying to find out the best way of learning things for the right price.

Old 04 April 2013   #17
Originally Posted by ebbandflow:
I hope to be a 3D generalist someday because I like doing different things and not the same thing all the time. I like learning new things. The problem with that is CG is so overwhelming and complex in what it's able to do. This is why I'm trying to find out the best way of learning things for the right price.

Old timers like myself picked up and had a read of the manual, no web boards > no online tutorials as they didnt exist. I would also see if you can hook up with a pro in your chosen field to crit your work and point you in the right direction.

B

Old 04 April 2013   #18
There are good and bad tutorials and teachers, as well as books, videos, online workshops, schools, forums, etc. When people talk about these options, it's important to remember that taking an example of something bad and comparing it to something different that's good, would be an unfair comparison. A really good book or video or online workshop can teach a lot, while four years of a bad school can teach you very little, and vice versa. You kind of have to take it case-by-case.

But there's one universal truth that will never change, and that is you only get back what you put in. As a teacher, I have seen too many students who begin a class with passion, and when asked to introduce themselves, they cannot emphasize enough how much they love art and want to be a (fill in the blank--concept artist, animator, illustrator, 3D modeller, etc). But once we're a few weeks into the class, you find out who are the real deal, and who are the ones who only talk the talk but cannot walk the walk due to lack of discipline, patience, willingness to endure series of small failures in order to improve, willingness to make sacrifices (less social life, less sleep, less video games/movies), or lack endurance for any kind of mental or physical challenge/hardship, resulting in the lack of the kind of tenacity that is critical for someone to excel in something that requires long-term dedication.

So regardless of what you choose, at the end of the day, no matter how amazing the learning source is, you are ultimately the one who controls your own future. Even the most amazing teacher can only do so much if the student is not willing to put in the time and effort and manage their time/life/priorities properly. But if a student is amazingly passionate and determined, then no one can stop him--not his family, not a discouraging teacher, not a shitty school, or bad tutorials, or even a freak accident that takes away his dominant hand/arm. If he's willing to fight for what he believes in--something that he cannot live without in his standard for a fulfilling life, then he'll excel no matter what.

Old 05 May 2013   #19
Some of my teachers just used tutorials they googled up the night before as class material. So I paid 10k to do online tutorials I could have done for free!

Old 05 May 2013   #20
Originally Posted by ebbandflow: Anyway, from what I've read about the state of the industry I'm sure there would be someone out there that's good enough at what they do and that just because someone isn't working doesn't mean they suck at what they do- hence they are unemployed. At least that's what the tone I get from you is, circusboy.

That depends. I am not saying they cannot be found.
What I am asking is can you finacialy compensate them enough for them to put that effort in?!
Its not like you call them and they say -"I'll be there in five minutes".
If they have to set up a course for you thats some serious effort (my wife teaches media) on their part. Thats gonna cost you $$$ (and time for them to prep).
Thats why its easier for an instructor to setup a 'class' knowing they are going in as faculty. And thats why it might then be cheaper and easier for you to attend such a course. Or fine something online - same thing- they are already prepared accordingly.

If you are lucky you find an unemployed 3d teacher (who can pilfer their own course ware). But then lightening hast to strike you a good one...

Old 05 May 2013   #21
Originally Posted by ebbandflow: I'm just looking at options that's all. Someone mentioned that some CG artists do do some private tutoring and I imagine it like other tutoring where they are just there maybe an hour or two. In other words it's like a private lesson or consultation to what your problem is. It's not like they would just sit there all day watching you. That's ridiculous! Anyway, from what I've read about the state of the industry I'm sure there would be someone out there that's good enough at what they do and that just because someone isn't working doesn't mean they suck at what they do- hence they are unemployed. At least that's what the tone I get from you is, circusboy.

I don't know how much you have to spend but you should look into the 3 day all day workshops that you can go to. http://www.fmctraining.com/fmc.asp?...CFYFo4AodhEoA6w
http://www.3d1on1.com/ http://www.3d-palace.com/

Last edited by dpendleton : 05 May 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #22
Looking for One on One lessons

I am also looking for a teacher one on one lessons with matte painting. The reason is basically I need to set-up the time and go through my learning process. I am an art teacher at secondary school and sometimes forget to set a time for myself. Please kindly conatct me at tokyopiglet at hotmail dot com. Thank You

Old 11 November 2013   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread