vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Ghibli's "Giant God Warrior" live action Nausicaa back story

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/...sis-evangelion/

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/04/watch...s-in-tokyo.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics Alliance

Whether you're an avid fan of Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind manga, its 1984 Studio Ghibli anime adaptation, Neon Genesis Evangelion or... just awesome things in general... you may want to sit down before watching the recently released Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo short. Commissioned by former Nausicaš animator and Evangelion writer/director Hideaki Anno for The Museum of Contemporary Art in Tokyo in 2012 as part of a special Tokusatsu exhibition, the short was produced by Studio Ghibli (a live action first for the studio) and directed by Shinji Higuchi, known for his work as a writer and storyboard artist of the Evangelion anime and its related movies, and special effects director of numerous live action kaiju films.

Fascinating and ultimately bizarre combination of suits, puppetry, miniatures, and the kitchen sink. There's no real subtitles, so you can skip the first minute or so if you don't want to wait for the buildup.

Link: http://youtu.be/Hy0M1MxShAI

embed:

Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
neuk
Dr. Strangelove
portfolio
ognjen vukovic
london, United Kingdom

Amazing piece. I got that magical feeling like i was watching eva again for the first time...

Last edited by neuk : 04-25-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

I'm sure some will call it cheesy, but I was pleased to see modern technology, such as particles and compositing, combined with old school practical FX. I get sick of the everything must be CGI mentality. It had a very different and refreshing look to it, and, as already mentioned, it really captured that EVA feel. I'd gladly watch a whole movie like that.

Of course, in typical kaiju movie fashion, we'd have to sit through an hour and a half of talking to get to the same amount of destruction at the end.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Maybe it's because I had no clue what that chick was saying, but I found this to be extremely boring ...

Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
banman7
Frequenter
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Absolutely awesome!

I'm sorry but I can watch those visuals all day long. That is how you do it! A mix of things just makes it feel so organic.

I love FX but fact of the matter is it feels digital. Digital is how a computer sees the world. 1 and 0s. I know our eyes can tell the miniatures are fake as well because of the weight on them but still so much fun.

Nothing beats getting your hands on something and making something with your hands. CG is awesome and covers so many things we cannot but CG Yoda vs puppet yoda no comparison.

Giant Kaiju like this awesome. Love practical fx mixed with digital fx. It just feels different.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve
Maybe it's because I had no clue what that chick was saying, but I found this to be extremely boring ...

.... but GIANT ROBOTS@!$#@$@!%!!!
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 04-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
This is a good evolution of the old Kaiju/Tokusatsu special Effects...

Where I think they can start to move ahead though is:

1) Use of projection screens to "light" the environment like with the Oblivion Sky Tower.
2) Special Cameras that can force a depth of field that can improve the depth and scale of shots. Some of the shots don't feel like they are really happening because although the God Warrior is far away, he seems too close to camera (which reveals the buildings are too small).

I like it that they appeared to be using that miniatures filming trick of shooting at high speed and then playing back at normal speed which just slightly slows down everything and makes it seem more "weighted"... but to get that last bit you need Manipulated Depth of Field and lighting tricks.

I also probably would have suggested CG humans and other additional CGI "Stitching FX" to really sell the shots.

The result is very good though... definitely a step-up from the last Ultraman/Godzilla thing.

P.S.: Don't like how the God Warrior design reminds me too much of Gainax's EVA robots... they really could dig deeper in that category.... feel a bit disappointed that a bunch of Evangelion rip-offs are responsible for the 7 Days of Fire before the much lauded Nausicaa....

Old 04-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
Ian31R
Expert
portfolio
Ian Adams
Freelancer
Kent, USA

Video deleted.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian31R
Video deleted.

Damn, I guess it wasn't an official release yet even almost a year old? That's pretty crappy of them.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

I feel that this short has some nice VFX but I don't see this being that original. The Japanese have been doing this sort of thing for years with TV shows such as Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Sentai series in the past decade. I believe that Japanese shows just don't get much coverage or even seen outside of Japan, and that's probably why people feel that it's really new to them when they see the mixture of CG, practical effects and miniatures. Personally I've seen this sort of thing hundreds of times and this doesn't really stand out, apart from the design being slightly EVA and Ghibli like.

Another reason people may not watch this sort of thing is because they usually find the concept too child like as they usually aimed at kids. Adults just feel believe it to be silly with gaint mosters and costume heroes. Also in my opinion a lot of this has be influenced by the Americanised version of Power Rangers, stereotyping these shows as being of children's content.

In terms of Depth of Field, I believe that it's just their style to make the buildings look toy like. I believe that they can do depth of field but I think it's just meant to look that way.

The most interesting series in my opinion has be the Garo TV series that has a costume hero but the concept and story are aimed at mature audiences.

Plus I found something very similar already compared to this short, the first 8mins of a Ultraman Saga movie in March 2012 (hopefully I'm allowed to post this link, if not please feel free to remove it admin)-

Last edited by Darkherow : 04-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
derOesi
Expert

portfolio
Stephan Haidacher
Hamburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
Plus I found something very similar already compared to this short, the first 8mins of a Ultraman Saga movie in March 2012 (hopefully I'm allowed to post this link, if not please feel free to remove it admin)

haha, the "mech" runcycle starting at 4:30 is just gorgeous! love it gotta have to watch this sometime

my portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
indie project - moldgame.wordpress.com

Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #12
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
I feel that this short has some nice VFX but I don't see this being that original.

It wasn't meant to be original. It was commissioned for a museum and directed by a veteran of numerous kaiju (giant monster) films.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
JoshBowman
Life's More Than What U C

portfolio
Joshua Bowman
Animation Lecturer/Student
Sydney, Australia

link....

download!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
banman7
Frequenter
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

It is so awesome how this event is part of Nausicaa. Very cool stuff.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
bjoern
pling

b balu
bad boy
Digital dong dong ;)
Vancouver,

@aeh... Ghibli's fanboys...?

The only thing I see here are bad effect's. Don't care if it is CG or practical. But it's just done bad...

Thread Closed share thread