IRON MAN 3 Reviews: An Ironclad Hit That Will Melt Even The Hardest Of Hearts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #46
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I liked it a lot, FX were really great and it had a lot of humor.

The only issue I had, was why didn't he call out all the rest of the suits earlier? Obviously, it was needed for the finale, but it seems like a big plot hole.

B/c there was part of a house covering the door they needed to fly out of.

Old 05 May 2013   #47
Saw it last night in 2d.
Pretty weak, No real drama here, all action and comedy, and its really left behind the slightly more natural first film to become a real fantasy film, which is a shame.

Some good performances from RDJ and Ben Kingsley, but they had to work hard to make up for the poor script...

The best thing about this utterly fogettable movie was the inevitable jaw-dropping vfx reel that ILM will release, hopefully very soon!

I feel for the first time that Marvel are losing the average audience now and only really keeping the loyal comic book fans. I see this continuing from here, in fact im surprised it's lasted even this long...

Old 05 May 2013   #48
Originally Posted by nickmarshallvfx: The best thing about this utterly fogettable movie was the inevitable jaw-dropping vfx reel that ILM will release, hopefully very soon!

I feel for the first time that Marvel are losing the average audience now and only really keeping the loyal comic book fans. I see this continuing from here, in fact im surprised it's lasted even this long...

Thought it was a Weta production? plus all the other studios of course.

I doubt Marvel has lost the average audience, looking at the box office

Old 05 May 2013   #49
ILM was not involved with this movie. I believe WETA was given the highest shot count with DD close behind and the usual suspects with the Marvel shows helping out, like Trixter, Fuel Lola and some others that escape me at the moment.

Old 05 May 2013   #50
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: WOW, this is one jaded crowd.
I was expectng to see 4-5 pages of excited posts commenting on the movie by now, what gives?

I already know there's a spoiler concerning the Mandarin, so please go easy on that for those of us who haven0t seen it yet.

I know, anyone's who's seen the last two Iron Man movies really shouldn't be expecting a thought provoking masterpiece.

It's an action film, and a damned good one at that. These guys (and gals) did a good job on it.

Old 05 May 2013   #51
Hypercube,

Sorry to hear about the luminance levels in your theater. When properly displayed, the 3D for this was surprisingly bright. I still prefer 2D in general. Then again, what can you expect from 3.5foot Lambert? We're lucky if a general theater will even get that bright.

Strangely, the IMAX 3D presentation I saw was far too bright. It was completely washed out everything and looked awful.

Old 05 May 2013   #52
Originally Posted by doffer: Thought it was a Weta production? plus all the other studios of course.

I doubt Marvel has lost the average audience, looking at the box office

You are right, my mistake, hopefully Weta will do a breakdowns reel then...

Old 05 May 2013   #53
I liked Iron Man 1 better on repeat viewing. First time I was left underwhelmed mainly because of the music. Didnt have a thematic score I could remember.
One thing I particularly liked about Iron Man (and Captain America) is how they managed to get the various costumes into the movies (especially in the case of CA using the WW2 propaganda bits with the early costume versions).

I wonder --do they use any stand ins for Iron Man where they get someone skinny enough to fit into the costume to match the shape of the computer version? It doesnt work for RDJ-he looks bloated when he has the costume on.
Is every scene with Iron Man in full costume a computer model?

Old 05 May 2013   #54
Originally Posted by kelgy: I wonder --do they use any stand ins for Iron Man where they get someone skinny enough to fit into the costume to match the shape of the computer version? It doesnt work for RDJ-he looks bloated when he has the costume on.
Is every scene with Iron Man in full costume a computer model?

At this point they have some torso (waist-up) pieces for close up inserts and dialog scenes, or full sized empty prop suits, but 99% of the time you see the entire suit walking around or doing much of anything it's all CG.

I think the worst example of chubby suit syndrome were some of the instances in Iron Man 2 where he had the whole or mostly whole suit on like at the donut shop or in the drunken party scene, it reminded me of when my friend who is not quite built like a scottish bodybuilder would wear his otherwise very nicely made Darth Vader outfit.

It's amazing in the few years since the first one how they've gone from trouble rendering brushed metal surfaces to insanely dense photoreal interchangeable everything. Aside from a couple of odd animation moments or random shots, everything looked so damned seamless in this movie. Well, much like Avengers. Way to keep that bar up, guys.

Old 05 May 2013   #55
I wouldn't call the IM2 suits chubby, although they did look more masculine, especially with the more anatomical lines and silhouettes. Also, if we ignore the tech in the movies to be impossible, there should be at least an inch of space for the inner mechanical elements all around the wearer, with those flaps and weapons and such, and then the armor plating on top of it all.

But the most important reason for that look was that while Downey was a good fit for Stark, he is quite short for Iron Man. So the CG characters are all a good 15-20cm taller and so his head looks smaller relative to the rest in any shots where he wears the armor. Especially when the helmet is on, flattening out his hair. Or when you don't see his entire height and assume he's still just about ~174cm tall. But whenever you see the complete armor, the proportions are not so off any longer.

Old 05 May 2013   #56
Not talking about the overall designs being chubby, but the practical vs. the CG being chubby. I liked the IM2 armors just as much as any. I was surprised how I even ended up liking the mk.42 in this, after not liking it through all the pre-press for the movie.

And yes they have talked in many articles about Iron Man's heroic proportions of course being impossible for anyone to actually be, 8 heads tall, huge shoulders, wasp waisted, etc. so naturally it's going to feel a little clunky when they have to fit someone inside, it just was a little unintentionally funny when you switch scenes and suddenly Iron Man is this tiny thick self-colliding guy. Don Cheadle is crazy short too, but I guess that works for he and Tony being the same sizes as Iron Men.

It's kinda odd sometimes too when they have the facemask pop open on the all-cg suit and have an actor's face floating inside of it, since they don't have the body you're used to seeing the actor have either.

I think overall they handled it much better in this movie through whatever means, and especially the scenes where he is hopping in and out of suits or in partial armor I didn't find myself thinking about that at all.

Old 05 May 2013   #57
Saw it today and liked it a lot.

Old 05 May 2013   #58
Ehh....the hopping in and out of suits was cool at first, but then it got repetitive. This Iron Man was okay overall, but I prefer the last two Iron Man movies.

Old 05 May 2013   #59

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...pening-weekend/

175 Million.

Guess notso much.

Old 05 May 2013   #60
Originally Posted by banman7: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...pening-weekend/

175 Million.

Guess notso much.

Yeah everybody on the internet is a box office prognosticator for some reason. Always making projections about what audience reactions will be and failing miserably.

Thread Closed share thread