IRON MAN 3 Reviews: An Ironclad Hit That Will Melt Even The Hardest Of Hearts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #31
I saw it last night and thought it was fantastic, expected to roll over here and see moaning and groaning about it and was right. It didn't feel too long or short, the mansion falling shots were incredible along with the harbor scenes. Though fairly short it was nice seeing the various suits in action with unique designs.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
The twist with him being just a clueless druggie actor was awesome and completely unexpected. My friends and I all thought that Stark never really hit bottom like he should of in the film though, I guess in the comic he reaches a point of doing drugs and alcohol with no hope while in the film he just has a kid say you can build stuff and he goes "ok".

Old 05 May 2013   #32
Originally Posted by EricM: Subpar plot with nonsensical parts and "oh-too-convenient" coincidences, cardboard characters and fart jokes... I agree, even the "serious" parts couldn't even be taken seriously.

Even the funny parts couldn't save it. IMHO. Very disappointed. It cannot touch IM1 and was for me even worse than IM2 or about on par.

VFX? The house attack was ok, the rest felt nothing special : same as usual, just more of it...

Head over to imdb and read the user reviews: 90 percent completely disappointed.. Seems like click rating purchases managed to raise the average score to 7.9 though. Don't be fooled..

Old 05 May 2013   #33
Originally Posted by nildoe: Saw it yesterday...loved it !!! Way better than im2...way better

But the 3d sucked..I hated it..This movie imo did not need to be in 3d

Nil

That always seems to be the case with 3D. It's only in rare cases that it's done right and seems like it's actually adding to the film

Old 05 May 2013   #34
One thing I could use a little clarity on though
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Maya (the female botanist doc) threatens to kill herself as though something will happen? she gets shot and nothing of it. What was the significance of this or was it just a mindless moment in the plot?

Old 05 May 2013   #35
Meh it was not the best Iron Man movie. It was the least favorite of the group.

I didn't like seeing a broken down Iron Man costume the whole time. I wanted to see Iron Man at least one part of the movie and not just the different mach suites.

Old 05 May 2013   #36
Originally Posted by banman7: I didn't like seeing a broken down Iron Man costume the whole time. I wanted to see Iron Man at least one part of the movie and not just the different mach suites.
I really felt the movie was built around Robert Downey Jr's. acting talent. What I mean by that is that this movie is really about Tony Stark with Iron Man becoming an accessory to the point where he's only wearing bits and pieces for a good part of the movie. It's not even essential for him to be in it as he can fly the suit remotely like a drone. More face time for RDJ.

Old 05 May 2013   #37
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: One thing I could use a little clarity on though
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like something was cut or it was left open for future films.

Old 05 May 2013   #38
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 2

Guys, it's not Iron man 3.. It's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 2. I mean, the movie had nothing in common with the previous two movies style wise. It's Shane Black, if you like his style you will enjoy it, if not - well, then you'll probably hate it.

the vfx were great, the costumes were cool, the way he got in his suit every time was fun

Old 05 May 2013   #39
I really felt the movie was built around Robert Downey Jr's. acting talent. What I mean by that is that this movie is really about Tony Stark with Iron Man becoming an accessory to the point where he's only wearing bits and pieces for a good part of the movie. It's not even essential for him to be in it as he can fly the suit remotely like a drone. More face time for RDJ.

I mean that is great and all and I love the RDJ effect but at hte same time when it is time to be Iron Man it is time to be Iron Man. The whole time he was Ironman he was in it for 2 seconds, remotely doing it, halfway in the outfit and when it was fully on it was broken.

Like Avengers...I loved the human banter and the time when they are not fighting but at the same time it is a superhero movie and I'd love to see him be full on Superhero.

Also the Mandarin ploy sucked. I mean it was funny and all and was creative but at the end of the day I was hoping it was a decoy not the real deal.

That is the number 1 rogue's gallery villian for Tony Stark. I guess next Fing Fang Foom is a hologram.

Old 05 May 2013   #40
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: One thing I could use a little clarity on though

I think the point where she gets shot is Killians way saying Stark can produce the solution without her as evidenced by his half drunk solution on a napkin from 1999 (and in fact he does come up with a solution by the end of the movie). She essentially botched the plan already and wasn't needed anymore so threatening to kill herself was a dumb tactic.

Old 05 May 2013   #41
Saw it last night, it's in my top 5 for superhero movies already. Really great.

Old 05 May 2013   #42
I liked it a lot, FX were really great and it had a lot of humor.

The only issue I had, was why didn't he call out all the rest of the suits earlier? Obviously, it was needed for the finale, but it seems like a big plot hole.

Old 05 May 2013   #43
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I liked it a lot, FX were really great and it had a lot of humor.

The only issue I had, was why didn't he call out all the rest of the suits earlier? Obviously, it was needed for the finale, but it seems like a big plot hole.

My friend suggested that they didn't have the remote system implemented yet and Jarvis was working on them while he was away investigating the initial blast. Or with his PTSD and freaking out about the situation he might not of thought clearly enough to use them at the time.

Old 05 May 2013   #44
The reason Stark did not summon the suits after the house was destroyed I believe is covered in a quick communication from Jarvis to Stark that the rubble around the labs exit had been cleared enough to allow the suits to escape. I'm not 100% sure but that's the impression I got.

Old 05 May 2013   #45
SPOILERY STUFF (even though everyone's been openly talking about it already)

The suit locker was told to be a combination of trapped and not ready. Seemed like a lot of them weren't 100% great at fighting, but then they need him piloting to be an effective team. I was sad to see so many cool designs go by only to be destroyed, but that's what they're there for.

I enjoyed it, I don't see what people are saying was a shift in tone from the others, it felt every bit an Iron Man movie to me. I do wish he had been in the suit in more continuous scenes, but I thought the scenes where he was dealing with being in and out of partial suits were actually very clever and inventive combat.

I liked that it felt a little more back to basics with Tony doing things on the fly, even with lots of convenient help and a lack of true rock bottoming. But with SO MANY movies following the "lose everything" story arc recently, I thought it was fine, I mean, how down could he ever be, he's Tony Stark.

The twist with the Mandarin was fine in this context IMO, but I agree it was a bit of disservice to so potentially strong a villain. I thought the Extremis plot and associated characters were pretty well utilized. Will have to see what they do next with the series, if they do any more.

I went with a group and all the 2D showings were packed so we gave up and went 3D, wish I had stuck to the original plan, the 3D itself was very serviceable for the most part because so much of the screen content was cg/3d originated, but it was in a regular theater so the brightness drop was ridiculous and there was a lot of strobing in the finale.

I absolutely love well-done 3D but I think Imax/Digital Imax or the elusive laser projection is the only way to truly enjoy watching it.

Thread Closed share thread