Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead
Still, if the film is half what this almost entirely spoiler-free review claims, it should be well worth seeing.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/iron-man-3-review/

Notice how that guy did not like the first Iron Man the same way he didn't like the sequel.

I personally thought this was better than IM2 but not as good as IM1.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #17
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh

That'll do! Count me in!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Jules123
Expert
portfolio
Julian Bushell
Non-Multiplex Cinema
Croydon, United Kingdom

I always complain that modern films (I think since watching Transformers) have a tendency for CG action to move so fast that my brain attributes it to a firework display.

*** gentle spoiler alert coming ***

In Iron Man 3, the robot drones even exploded into fireworks, just to prove my point!

Any way still enjoyed the entertainment in the movie.

Jules

Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #19
nildoe
Frequenter
portfolio
Nildo Essa
Architect/Animator
FX
Maputo, Mozambique

Send a message via MSN to nildoe
Saw it yesterday...loved it !!! Way better than im2...way better

But the 3d sucked..I hated it..This movie imo did not need to be in 3d

Nil

Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #20
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh

Same feeling I got.

All in all it was ok, not memorable, but very good fun, with two respectable dots of script writing that, sadly, get suffocated by a totally overdone humor pass that completely shadows every other aspect even the moments you're supposed to take events seriously.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
seriously, anxiety/panic attacks? I mean, bad enough as a plot/character point to balance his ego and strength to begin with, but he laughs and jokes on the phone through every single one, they might as well have removed it altogether.
Same with the "humble" bits, he's still a dick throughout every single apology, contrast is completely missing from his character, even more so than previous movies

It works because RDJ delivers every single line so incredibly well, anybody else and it would have been a disaster, so bear that in mind.
If you like the guy and his comedic delivery, you will most likely enjoy it, if you're one of the few that finds him annoying, you might get irritated and start noticing the completely one dimensional characters and story there to barely prop VFX and RDJ's performance up.

VFX was overall pretty damn good and worth the show on its own merit, design was good but possibly not quite as strong as the previous movies, probably they had to come up with too much stuff and it feels diluted.
Saw it in 2D, anything with that much fast panning and explosions is too painful in heavily post-ed 3D.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

I don't know, I've grown quite fond of the Mark 42 since the day of its public introduction. There are also a few really good ones within the 36 or so other armors, particularly the suborbital suit and the stealth one (although that was recycled from the abandoned designs made for IM1 by Phil Saunders, but it is still cool).

As for the rest, well, you couldn't honestly expect to have another armored bad guy after Obadiah and Venko

Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Don't get me wrong, there were a few great pieces in there, just there was so much of it, and by its nature it could only have that much variety, that it felt watered down.
I was hoping for more action for the hulk buster honestly

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Yeah, not to mention it was called 'Igor' and had like, 2 shots altogether?

But the first one, with both the camera angle and the animation, was straight from Avengers when the Hulk ran through the office building to jump out of the window.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
Mr.Tyler Durden
Know-it-All
Tyler Durden

Was pretty disappointed actually.. No tension, clumsy moral topics and flat characters. Imho 1st was best and it went to the bottom after that...

Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

Loved it and it's worth watching in the cinema! I think they delivered a well-rounded action film, with good pacing, a nice balance between fun, drama and good old explosions. The actors really helped making this movie great. I think the general audience will love it.

If I would have to compain , (possible spoiler?) the weakest part in the movie is the part with the kid in the old town, it felt disconnected with characters popping up out of seemingly nowhere.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

Two things:

- This is THE best superhero film. Even better than the Avengers. Incredibly entertaining film and Downey Jr is at his best. The cgi is so phenomenal that anything i say wont do it justice

-How much weight has Jon Favreau put on??...holy cheeeze

Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Quote:
Was pretty disappointed actually.. No tension, clumsy moral topics and flat characters. Imho 1st was best and it went to the bottom after that...

Subpar plot with nonsensical parts and "oh-too-convenient" coincidences, cardboard characters and fart jokes... I agree, even the "serious" parts couldn't even be taken seriously.

Even the funny parts couldn't save it. IMHO. Very disappointed. It cannot touch IM1 and was for me even worse than IM2 or about on par.

VFX? The house attack was ok, the rest felt nothing special : same as usual, just more of it...

Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #28
Ablion
portfolio
Australia

It is the fantastic movie , i recently watched it and i think it will break all the records of the Hollywood movies. The movie is full of action , thrill and suspense.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
grrinc
Expert

I am so gutted how disappointed I was. The humour was bordering on slapstick and too overdone and misplaced. Yeah RDJ can be funny, we get it. The tech was too OTT as well and reminded me of James Bond's invisible car fiasco. It needed dialing back.

And then there is the fact that it was just plain weird in parts. I am also unsure of how the girlfriend of the bad guy was playing out.

The good parts -
Ben Kingsley and everything about how that character played out.
Pepper Potts more involved role. We all saw the end coming but it played out so well on screen and she did great I thought.

6/10

After credits scene 0/10 ( I hate waiting around in case I miss something - stick it in the pissin' film ffs )

Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #30
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

Mixed opinion about the movie.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

Why couldn't he just do "operation House Party" at the beginning, when his house is attacked?

Iron man armor seems indestructible at times (survives a fall from the sky, etc.) and very flimsy at other times (breaks when hit by a truck, or even by Tony in the bedroom scene).

Gaping plot holes took me out of it at the end, but prior to that it was a good ride. I realize this is the same universe where they just defeated aliens through a warm hole, with the help of a god, but still...

Thread Closed share thread