CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
webhead
Expert

IRON MAN 3 Reviews: An Ironclad Hit That Will Melt Even The Hardest Of Hearts

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/

"Downey is at his superhero genius best here, rattling off dialogue both clever and boilerplate with non-repetitive aplomb."

"Delivers thrilling action, witty dialogue and genuine emotion, thanks to a cleverly crafted script, state-of-the-art special effects, strong, likeable characters and note-perfect performances."

"Thrilling, great looking and with a refreshingly comical tone, this is everything a summer blockbuster should be."

"It's undeniably entertaining - and worth seeing for Kingsley alone - with the misfires never fully overshadowing the moments of glory."

"This new Iron Man movie is probably the strongest of the series. The emphasis is on flip fun all the way."

"Funny, twisty and thrilling, this is shellhead's most entertaining solo flight to date."

"The perfect superhero movie."

Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
DashCourageous
An OmenSpirit Immortal

Robert Spotted Pony Lee
Drone
OmenSpirits.com
Mastic, USA

Send a message via AIM to DashCourageous Send a message via MSN to DashCourageous Send a message via Yahoo to DashCourageous
I'll see it, but I still hate that armor design.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
webhead
Expert

I'm definitely going to see this, but I'm not a fan of the new armor either. Odd color scheme.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I'm not sure why, but when I see a listing of superlative reviews on RT like this, I just know the movie is going to have big flaws or plotholes that will be very divisive to the audience.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
eliseu gouveia
Engine of Creation

Eliseu Gouveia
Comicbook Artist
Portugal

WOW, this is one jaded crowd.
I was expectng to see 4-5 pages of excited posts commenting on the movie by now, what gives?

I already know there's a spoiler concerning the Mandarin, so please go easy on that for those of us who haven0t seen it yet.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
webhead
Expert

It hasn't come out in my area yet, so I can't comment on it.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia

Jaded? Perhaps. Just seems that the last 2 or 3 times I saw this same grouping of what seem to be positive reviews, the movie was ultimately deemed mediocre and generally failed at the box office.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I think this one will be pretty awesome, just eager for it to come out next week.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Jaded? Perhaps. Just seems that the last 2 or 3 times I saw this same grouping of what seem to be positive reviews, the movie was ultimately deemed mediocre and generally failed at the box office.

Critics do seem to have a habit of overselling a film, but I'm not too worried about this one. After all, we're talking about Iron Man, a well-established franchise, with lots of die-hard fans just chafing at the bit to see it, myself included!

Still, if the film is half what this almost entirely spoiler-free review claims, it should be well worth seeing.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/iron-man-3-review/

Old 04-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Just got back. Decent enough, not quite as good as the first two, great plot twist in the middle I didnt see coming. The suits seem to fall apart easier than a jenga tower, and finally the bonus stuff at the end of the credits is hardly worth waiting for.

Certainly worth going to see, but if you havent seen the first two and avengers, Id hold off until youve seen them first, they refer back to them quite a bit.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

The thing that has me most intrigued about it is Shane Black's involvement.
When I saw his name first mentioned I thought--the guy from Predator telling Billy the jokes??

He's not my favorite 80s-90s screenwriter but I thought that was interesting.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

well , if you are a big comic geek , and a big iron man fan and know everything about the comic , chance are that you are going to be very dispointed with iron man 3. BUT if you are a big Shane Black fan that is to say the best screenwriter for kickass action movie of the 80-90ies , you will love the movie ...

The thing is that Iron Man 3 is not a super hero movie, its more like an action movie of the 90ies with iron man as special guest ! if you love all the stupid jokes , the second degree you will like it , i find some scene quite useless , but i really love the movie ...

But beware its not a Iron Man movie its more a Shane Black movie ...

Ohh and the big FX scene in the middle of the film can justify by itself the 10 bucks tickets !

I was quite disapointed to see that everybody got a 1 column film credit , but when it came to VFX all the weta guys were pack like slice of ham in a Hamburger on 15 column ... That is to say VFX is still the mobile infantery of Entertainment ... The green wave hasn't pay ... yet !

Last edited by SebKaine : 04-27-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
CharlesB
Veteran
Charles Bunnag
Digital Intermediate Colorist
Technicolor
Los Angeles, USA

Regarding WETAs credits:

I could be wrong, and perhpas someone from Weta could chime in on this, but it seems like many of Weta's credits tend to be like that. One large block, or several large blocks as opposed to separate columns of credits. While it makes it harder to isolate individual names, this probably helps them get more credits in. If they had all those names listed in individual columns, many names would probably be slashed from the credits lists as it would cause the credits to run way too long. Studios are very particular about the length of credits. Things like font size, spacing and speed of the crawl are all considered. I have even been in review sessions where the size of an underline in scrutinized.

When deliveries where primarily on film, additional credits would obviously make the film length slightly longer. Multiply that across thousands of prints of prints across the world, the prices went up, hence the desire to shorten credits. These days I think studios just want the credits to be as short as possible for sheer convenience and when you have an additional scene at the very end of the movie, there is a concern of your audience just getting way too bored.

That all being said, I think as many names as possible should be included in the credits. Whats worse is when entire teams are left out and just a compny credit is included. That really bugs me.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #14
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia

Yeah I can imagine many here are going to roll eyes when thinking about sequel 3 million. I always think 'oh no not again' but am also always surprised at the quality. I think it amazing that the writers and producers and crews can come up with a fresh take on something that should have lost its zing ages ago.

I haven't seen it yet but I am sure this one will also be first class.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
danmarell
3D slave monkey

portfolio
Daniel Elliott
FX TD
Weta Digital
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesB
Regarding WETAs credits:

I could be wrong, and perhpas someone from Weta could chime in on this, but it seems like many of Weta's credits tend to be like that.

I'd heard that they had done it as one block to get everyone's name in. If they had had individual titles that means more lines in the credits and some poeple won't get their name in. On previous films, some people didn't get there name credited and it caused some controversy. At least the caterers got there names it! Thanks god for billy the burger boy. The crew that built the green screen need to be fed!

Thread Closed share thread