Green t-shirt at Iron Man 3 opening week

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Green t-shirt at Iron Man 3 opening week

Hi guys!

When the green profile picture protests began hitting the web, I didn't adhere to them. I won't be exposing my reasons here mainly because this is not the aim of this thread. Anyways, since Iron Man 3 opening week is coming close in my country, I've come up with an idea that could serve as a new way of solidarity and support for the VFX industry. How about we go watch the Iron Man 3 in the movie theaters wearing green t-shirts? It doesn't need to be a t-shirt, it could be anything from sleeveless shirts to hoods. Don't have a green shirt? Alright, make it blue then!! Than we can take (or ask somebody to take) pictures of us wearing green shirts at the movie theater and post it here.

Let me know what you think! Cheers!

Last edited by chrisrezende : 04 April 2013 at 04:18 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
The general public doesn't care and won't even notice. Hell, I doubt I would even attribute any significance to someone wearing a green shirt, and I work in VFX.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
I'm going plaid, as usual.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: I'm going plaid, as usual.

If you check with VFX solidarity they've made an official shirt design, although I do believe some other locations are planning on simply green shirts. Their idea is not to sit and watch the movie with a green shirt but meet people and talk about their issues to people at the theater. I think part of the hope is that like the previous bad idea of all VFX artists simply waiting a week to see the movie hoping to affect the opening weekend draw (yea right there aren't that many of us) that they could educate the general public and get an even greater number to not watch it.

personally if I make it out to a theater to watch a movie there's not much I'm going to listen to somebody deter me form seeing the movie I journeyed there to see, perhaps if there was another movie I was interested in, but then again, we are coming up to may and that means every movie is going to have FX in it so I'd have to skip out on most movies.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Between protests, oscars and facebook green blocks I think getting the info out there has started, adding a trip to a movie in green seems fairly insignificant especially considering everyone has attention to the screen in the pitch black theater. I understand the motivation and desire though the execution seems lacking,

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by leigh: .....I would even attribute any significance to someone wearing a green shirt......

I agree. Unfortunately most of them will probably just think it's Saint Patrick's Day.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: Their idea is not to sit and watch the movie with a green shirt but meet people and talk about their issues to people at the theater.

Seriously? Honestly, that's really cringeworthy. Do they really think that people care? Really? You know, what's going on in the industry at the moment is really shit. I get it. With so many of us out of work or struggling to hold onto gigs, it's a pretty shitty time for us. But accosting people outside a cinema so you can tell them about your problems is so ridiculous that it's embarrassing. News flash: the general public does not care. Nor will they. Not could they even do anything about the industry's problems even if they did care.

When did VFX Solidarity turn into VFX Pity Party?

Old 04 April 2013   #8
I agree with the "it is dumb" folks. I think an effective boycott is the only means to really get people's attention. Unfortunately we are talking about a boycott of the biggest media entertainment things ever in human history.

This has the downside of probably being impossible, at least to reach an effective level because of the generally small scale of the "wrong-doing" and the nature of these marketing behemoths. I think throwing a record breaking premiere to not being a record breaking premiere is about the best that could be hoped for, and even that would probably only get Variety/HWR coverage, LA Times on an outside chance.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Most people don't know or understand anything about genetically modified food and crops, a condition that potentially affects billions of people and their ability to continue to live healthily on this planet, and you want a few people in Iowa to wear a green shirt to a movie?

OP's heart might be in the right place, but if people won't even riot over actual survival, what makes you think they will care if a roto artist can't get a job in the US?

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Originally Posted by leigh: The general public doesn't care and won't even notice. Hell, I doubt I would even attribute any significance to someone wearing a green shirt, and I work in VFX.

I dont know. I listen to a pretty popular podcats called "doug loves movies" with fairly famous american comedians, and the vfx protests get mentioned often. Apparently there is something for superman we arent supposed to see it for a week?

I know most regular people dont care, but most regular people are atleast getting the issue thrown in there face. People usually dont care about things that dont affect them day to day until they hear about the issue so much it does affect them.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Originally Posted by scrawford: I dont know. I listen to a pretty popular podcats called "doug loves movies" with fairly famous american comedians, and the vfx protests get mentioned often. Apparently there is something for superman we arent supposed to see it for a week?

I know most regular people dont care, but most regular people are atleast getting the issue thrown in there face. People usually dont care about things that dont affect them day to day until they hear about the issue so much it does affect them.

Ever since the Facebook green pic protest, many people in the general public are suddenly far more knowledgeable about what I do, and how my industry has been affected by recent events. It's the first time anyone outside of CG genuinely gave a damn, and that's been interesting and nice. But it's little more than that. There's a limit to how much they'll want to hear about this, and we reached it awhile ago. What we need is a solution, and public knowledge will not provide it. Either we change the industry business model or it will change itself (as it is doing now).

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Artbot: Most people don't know or understand anything about genetically modified food and crops, a condition that potentially affects billions of people and their ability to continue to live healthily on this planet, and you want a few people in Iowa to wear a green shirt to a movie?

OP's heart might be in the right place, but if people won't even riot over actual survival, what makes you think they will care if a roto artist can't get a job in the US?

Exactly!!! The public doesn't seem very concerned about fluoride in our water, or chemtrails, which may be an even bigger threat to mankind than GMOs! As you said, Artbot: If the sheeple are too preoccupied to even care about the very survival of our planet, than why would they care at all about the relatively miniscule problems of visual effects artists?

Last edited by webhead : 04 April 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Originally Posted by webhead: Exactly!!! The public doesn't seem very concerned about fluoride in our water, or chemtrails, which may be an even bigger threat to mankind than GMOs! As you said, Artbot: If the sheeple are too preoccupied to even care about the very survival of our planet, than why would they care at all about the relatively miniscule problems of visual effects artists?

Also: Chemtrails aren't real.

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Artbot: Also: Chemtrails aren't real.

See what I mean. Sheep.

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Cannot allow them to dilute our precious VFX fluids. Heck with DD Florida, it's flouridation you need to worry about!

Protests at the Oscars or other public events like the roundtable discussions online, articles in legit news outlets, etc. or yes, even Facebook talk can be useful and all, but attempting stunts based on doing things opening week of a movie, or going to theaters, etc. unless you really cause a riot or do something stupid, (which will just get bad press), no one in the general public is going to notice or care.

Even if every single VFX artist on earth could miraculously somehow boycott a specific movie all at once, out of the total movie-going population, it wouldn't even be a statistical blip.

Need real organization(s) and actual action from the larger parties involved, the other stuff is just pissing in the wind.

Thread Closed share thread