Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
alruggiero
portfolio
Andrew Ruggiero
Canada

Smile An Idea in Rendering

Just as an example say I have a scene and nothing in it moves. The only thing moving in my animation is the camera itself. But for the first 10 frames my camera doesn't move, nothing moves and nothing changes. The next 10 frames the camera dollys in closer to the scene then stops. The next 10 frames it just sits there and once again nothing moves and nothing changes. Totaling an animation of 30 frames.

When rendering this, does anything exists that would tell the software that since the first 10 frames of the animation has nothing changing, it would only render the first frame and then simply "copy and paste" that frame until it hits the frame when something in the scene changes. I'm using 3DS Max and it seems as though it just re-renders the same frame over and over again. Does anything like this exist or has even been talked about in any software. I'm not sure of a name that would would simply explain this idea either without explaining everything. If you have an explanation as to why this can not be possible please do tell! Any comments would be appreciated thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
i-d
Frequenter

portfolio
Igor Dvorski
Zagreb, Croatia

Actually it does exist. It's called editing.
Render your animation from 20 - 30 frames
and hold first frame for 10 frames.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

Best thing to do is to set up multiple scene renders and send them to a que. I routinely render in sections out of a scene.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Along the lines of editing...a comp package too can let you set up what you want. Render only the active frames and you can insert a hold 'anywhen' you want for as long as you want. Done.

What you describe is rather odd scenario that a renderer wouldn't necessarily need as a 'feature' to fix. Smart planning is the fix.

Edit:If you simply must have it as frames on disk I would think a script to copy or even use a tool like XnView to create your 'hold frames'.

Last edited by circusboy : 04-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
mantragora
Old Member

portfolio
To be, or not to be, TD ?
mantragora
hell, Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by alruggiero
Does anything like this exist or has even been talked about in any software. I'm not sure of a name that would would simply explain this idea either without explaining everything. If you have an explanation as to why this can not be possible please do tell! Any comments would be appreciated thanks!

I'm using similar trick to avoid creating additional collision geometry for frames where model(or some part of it) is not moving. Thanks to this I save a lot of disk space and geometry baking time. But I'm using Houdini .

magic happens here... sometimes
go nodeway

Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
mantragora
Old Member

portfolio
To be, or not to be, TD ?
mantragora
hell, Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy
Edit:If you simply must have it as frames on disk I would think a script to copy or even use a tool like XnView to create your 'hold frames'.

Yeah, post-render script should do the trick.

magic happens here... sometimes
go nodeway

Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
alruggiero
portfolio
Andrew Ruggiero
Canada

Thank you guys, my real project contains a bunch of close ups and transparent objects that require average 10minutes to render each frame so this is really needed. I'll check out some solutions with the information you gave. At least I know that I would have to use an alternate editing program if I must (was trying to avoid that, ha) but what must be done will be done! Thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

You should seriously consider implementing post work into anything you do. Like After Effects or Nuke. Nothing straight out of render is as good as when you composite and color correct.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Anthonyy
Expert
portfolio
Anthony Young
Artist
Birmingham, United Kingdom

You can use the batch rendering option to render different cameras which is how I rendered out the different sections of my Lego plane animation.

Alternatively specify the frames in the common panel ie 1, 30 - 200 etc.
Rendering is expensive only do as much as you need by reusing and reducing what you need to render when you can.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

I know the obvious answer is editing and post-work, but it would be pretty cool if the renderer can tell that nothing changes, and can duplicate static frames for you, on the fly. What would have to happen for that to be a possibility?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16
I know the obvious answer is editing and post-work, but it would be pretty cool if the renderer can tell that nothing changes, and can duplicate static frames for you, on the fly. What would have to happen for that to be a possibility?

It could be scripted quite easily.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread