Oblivion: Tom Cruise as WALL-E

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
Hmmm... Good point. The only thing that I can think of is:

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
that perhaps the clone army was having the same memory flashbacks and that's how the TET came upon the 5 year life cycle of the clones.

But yeah, the clone army would have had to have been a bunch of zombie-Jacks in order to slaughter all of civilization. Why not just use the same zombie-Jacks as the repairmen?

Loose alright. Loose like a sweater made of boiled spaghetti worn while you're jumping on a trampoline!

Old 04 April 2013   #17
Good.. except if that was the story:

Spoiler:

And the army of Jack Harpers had this Memory of Julia issue...

The movie would be instead about how ONE Jack Harper can convince 100 million Jack Harpers to fight against TET. The Finale would have been 100 million Bubble Ships attacking the TET pyramid or something.

Let's also not think about what would happen to Julia at nights when she accepts all these Jack Harpers as her lovers.

Old 04 April 2013   #18
If Jack was a real hero, he would have

Spoiler:
forced the TET to clone a Julia for each Jack on the planet. It would have been the right thing to do.

Old 04 April 2013   #19
Alright I just got back from watching the film, I actually thought it was magnificent as a whole as long as it isn't over thought. The shots are immensely gorgeous and serious kudos to the design from drones to towers to the marvelous bubble ships. It was delightful watching the machinery work, especially the flying combat scenes where he is rotating and fighting the drones with the ship going in a different direction than his rotating cockpit. I was a huge fan of the Tron soundtrack so hearing this film's score left me just as happy in that aspect as well.

Spoiler:
I wondered about the creatures seen at the beginning, if those were actually alien, the aliens or something the AI was projecting onto the screens to make them think there were aliens.

Old 04 April 2013   #20
Beech (Morgan Freeman) explains that:

Spoiler:

The Human Resistance adopted gear, suits, and vocoders to confuse the Drone's ability to identify them for Termination. This tactic makes many of them appear inhuman.

So yes.. that was a severed human head in the library.... :P

Old 04 April 2013   #21
I think the question was more related to what Vika sees on her screens from the guncam footage, or footage downloaded from the TET.

Old 04 April 2013   #22
I did mean the footage.
Spoiler:
Exactly, I know he explained how they were hiding, the thought I was wondering was the footage shown early on. They clearly look dog like and large so if that is a getup made by the humans it is quite elaborate .

Old 04 April 2013   #23
I concur with the rest : Kosinski proved once again he's got a great eye for production design, visual style and the music is top notch, overall a very good craftsman, but when it comes to the story... it's plot-hole galore.

It only holds if you try to not think of it... a la Transformers/Avengers... except that the film pretends to be smart, emotional, contemplative, subtle... which suggests that you SHOULD engage your brain and leaves you plenty of time to analyze everything and ask the right questions about the characters motivations etc...

Had it been a mindless action flick, Michael Bay style, it wouldn't have mattered. You get what you pay for. It's dumb, but you asked for it. But here it tried to be a good intelligent movie and not only a good VFX showreel, hence the backlash.

Overall it's only "decent experience" when it could have been awsome.

Last edited by EricM : 04 April 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #24
Good grief, do you guys really analyze a movie that much while you're watching it. How would you find time to possible enjoy it?

I thought it was pretty good, beautiful to look at for sure and that house. I wants it! It was a neat little puzzle to figure out but you'll have the plot figured out pretty quick. The pacing was way long, my brother said he nodded off 3 times during the first half which I could definitely understand. We had just finished a big meal so that didn't help.

I was making my wife laugh the whole time with Maud'dib and Wall-E jokes. There was a point at which I had to say, "For he is the Kwisatz Haderach." You'll know it when you see it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #25
Well I used to be able to just enjoy any movie without a second though, the problem with dwelling in cinematography, storytelling and other similar areas of interest is that everything is a learning tool and merits to be nit picked hah. I wasn't cutting down the film though, I strongly feel it was money well spent to enjoy it on the big screen and it is very likely it will jump onto my home shelf when it comes out.

Old 04 April 2013   #26
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Good grief, do you guys really analyze a movie that much while you're watching it. How would you find time to possible enjoy it?

If a "thinking" film is done well, the analyzing is how you enjoy it, and is rewarding,

Unfortunately most sci-fi these days (I'm looking at you Prometheus and Looper) ask you to "think" but then fall apart the second you do.

Haven't seen this yet though, so don't have an opinion on its plot. And thanks for all the spoiler tags, appreciate it!

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 04 April 2013   #27
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Good grief, do you guys really analyze a movie that much while you're watching it. How would you find time to possible enjoy it?

I've seen it twice. I'm also a writer, so I study the storycraft used in specific films, to find out if it works or not, and find out how to elevate my writing. This film is an example of how to not build your story.

Old 04 April 2013   #28
Originally Posted by Pixanaut: I've seen it twice. I'm also a writer, so I study the storycraft used in specific films, to find out if it works or not, and find out how to elevate my writing. This film is an example of how to not build your story.

Ah, that makes sense then. After that mile long post from you earlier I thought about my analysis of the film and it consisted of about 5-10 min. on the ride back with the 5 of us who went. After that I put it out of my mind because as you guys have said, there wasn't much there to dwell on.

I will say, the flight sequences made it worth seeing on the big screen. I like to feel (aurally, tactiley) a movie as much as see it and that was pretty good.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: I did mean the footage.

I think that
Spoiler:
the TET was altering the footage that was shown because the video feed of one of the Scavs running came from Sally and was clearly not human according to how it was running

Old 04 April 2013   #30
I also think that:
Spoiler:

"Creature" looking parts with the Human Resistance is just Joseph Kosinski "cheating" the audience so that the Scav alien thingee seems to hold up with external evidence visible to the audience.

@WyattHarris: The issue I had was that the film betrayed itself and its "agreement" with the audience for details it lays out quite a few times. The examples cited above actually bothered me too. Some things you just can't ignore like:

Spoiler:

Why TET seemed to ignore the Odyssey's sleep chamber section for 60 years or something when it was ejected just a few kilometres from TET when it captured Jack and Vika.

Also, how the Odyssey's Flight Recorder managed to keep recording voice data from the cockpit when it was actually located with the Sleep Chambers - and it continues recording from the cockpit long after the cockpit has been ejected! This is like you're watching a film and suddenly people walk on the ceiling... It's THAT bad for me even if I don't think about it... It leaps at me.

Still, it was sort of good for the big screen. It was spectacular and everything, and I actually still enjoyed it. Somewhere in there was a GREAT movie that would have "rung all the three bells"... But it didn't quite come out this time.

My parents came out of the cinema today saying GI JOE Retaliation was better than Oblivion - *shrug*...

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 04 April 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Thread Closed share thread