CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Oblivion: Tom Cruise as WALL-E

Rob Note:
I saw it last night and I liked it a lot. But keep in mind that the film is a homage to scifi from the 50's 70' and 80'. Also the slim has a very deliberate pacing.

Quotes:
This is the sci-fi movie equivalent of a pretty damn good cover band.

April 19, 2013 Full Review

Richard Roeper
Richard Roeper.com

The sly, surprising and visually magnificent Tom Cruise vehicle that has forced me - and many other people, I suspect - to revise my first opinion of director Joseph Kosinski.

April 19, 2013 Full Review

Andrew O'Hehir
Salon.com

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oblivion_2013/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Saw it yesterday, it was a verry nice audio/visual ride. One to add to my bluray collection.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
tuna
|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

I haven't seen the movie yet, but this belongs in this thread: http://vimeo.com/64377100

Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Rob Note:
I saw it last night and I liked it a lot. But keep in mind that the film is a homage to scifi from the 50's 70' and 80'.

Really? I thought it was a prelude of what's to come.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

I haven't seen it yet but am looking forward to it. The local cinema is doing a half price deal on Tuesdays for students (I think €7 instead of the usual €14) and a group of us are going together this coming Tuesday.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Visually it was outstanding. One of the most beautiful SciFi films I've seen since SUNSHINE.
Bravo to everyone who worked on it. It did something really fun and unique with the Post Apocalyptic idea, and it did it very well.
I want that house!

The sound design was incredible, and the soundtrack was awesome. If you liked thee TRON OST (the best part of that movie, IMO), get the Oblivion one.

Story wise, it treaded a little too close to 'cliche' territory, and if you've watched any scifi films in the last 20 years, you'll have the plot pretty much figured out before the halfway point. Its a little sad, because they had such potential, without moving into the territory it did...it should have completely turned away from the SciFi tropes at the halfway mark, and blown my expectations from the story out of the water.

I wont go and see it again at the cinema, but ill definitely pick it up on BluRay.

Last edited by Pyke : 04-21-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

Nearly every frame of this film is beautiful in some way or another, especially in IMAX.

Nearly every page of this script didn't warrant the visual effects efforts or earn the right to have those production dollars spent to make this film.

It's a beautiful disaster.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixanaut
It's a beautiful disaster.

We are all entitled to our opinions obviously, but I think this is a bit harsh.

While it isn't crazy new, story wise it isn't bad at all.
The dialogue is nice, and flowing and the acting is great.
Something very rarely found in those beautiful disasters often seen in cinema, like... well you know what I am talking about. VFX demo reels

I agree that the visuals are the strongest part of the film, but I strongly disagree that story wise it is a disaster. There is a big difference between "could be better, seen before" and "disaster"

Again, this is just my opinion

Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by doffer
We are all entitled to our opinions obviously, but I think this is a bit harsh.

While it isn't crazy new, story wise it isn't bad at all.
The dialogue is nice, and flowing and the acting is great.
Something very rarely found in those beautiful disasters often seen in cinema, like... well you know what I am talking about. VFX demo reels

I agree that the visuals are the strongest part of the film, but I strongly disagree that story wise it is a disaster. There is a big difference between "could be better, seen before" and "disaster"

Again, this is just my opinion

I have a lot of problems with the story because a ton of it didn't make sense to me, even within the logic of the film... (heavy spoilers hidden here):
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

- The TET is supposedly here for our resources, according to what Jack tells us (which means it may or may not be accurate)... I don't believe the TET is here to take our water, simply because an A.I. wouldn't logically go through all the work of cloning an army and killing a species to suck up a planet's worth of water when there are entire moons made of ice floating around Jupiter and Saturn.

So then, what were the hydro-rigs doing? Sucking up sea water to not take it off-world? To what end? To take it as a fuel source? Was it turning the sea water into hydrogen? Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, there has to be less resource intensive sources out there. Maybe they were creating power for the TET so that it go off to another planet somewhere and make more power to go off to another planet somewhere and... pointless 'villain' much?
(On a sidenote, it annoys me when scifi screenwriters make Earth out to be this unique ball of resources to be exploited when all of the elements that make up this planet can be found all over the universe in places with zero resistance from indigenous, sentient lifeforms...)

- The TET goes offline for 12 hours per day... meaning that Vika can't communicate with it for half the day. If the TET only works for line-of-sight communication (which is stupid), then how does it control the drones when it's beyond the horizon? Do the drones just leave the 'hydro-rigs' unguarded for 12 hours per day? As seen at the end, they fall out of the sky when the TET loses its connection with them.

- How is it that the Odyssey's black box is recovered in the delta-sleep module, when Jack and Vika are still recording to it as the command module enters the TET?

- How did the A.I. come to the conclusion that it is easier to build a million clones, fight a ground war, then retask some clones to become repairmen for weaponized drones rather than just build drones that fix drones? The weaponized drones are very effective killing machines, clearly far more effective than any human, so it would make far more sense to send them in first and forget about clones altogether.

- Why didn't Sally just send more drones from the TET when the one Jack was working on needed more armor, rather than leave one of the ever-so-imperative hydro-rigs compromised? There were hundreds clearly visible, chillin' in the walls of the TET, when Jack 49 enters.

- Commander Harper says that the delta module is programmed to head back to Earth if it is ejected from the command module... so, in the last 60 years, the TET just left the Odyssey to make its way back to Earth? Why does the TET ignore it? Why does the Odyssey take 60 years to get back to Earth when it only took a little over a month to get to the TET? Has Odyssey been sitting in Earth's orbit for the last 60 years waiting for Beech to trigger a beacon signal?

- How did Beech know about the beacon signal (Beech says he was in the military for just a year before the TET showed up... was he a signals or communications officer?)? And isn't it extremely convenient/coincidental that Beech is operating in/around New York, where Jack happened to propose to Julia? Of all of the buildings in the world (or remnants of buildings), Beech uses the Empire State Building - the exact spot where Jack and Julia got engaged - as an antenna to bring the Odyssey in... but at this point in the film, he doesn't know that a) Jack is seeing her in his dreams and b) she's even still on the Odyssey or c) if she is, that she'll survive reentry. In fact, until she says her name later on, Beech doesn't even know who she is! So it just so happens that he brings down the Odyssey and Julia happens to be on board, and happens to be the one who survives the attack at the crash and happens to have been brought down by a guy who used the spot of her engagement as a beacon to get her back to Earth...

- Beech's whole plan is to bring in the Odyssey for its nuclear core. When Sykes is about to shoot Jack at the crash site, Beech stops him because he sees Jack get between the drone and Julia's pod... find, I get that... but, what was Beech's plan beyond that if Jack didn't get in the way of the drone? Sure, he'd have a nuclear core, but the Scavs still need one of the Jacks to deal with the drone-as-a-delivery-system for their Independence Day grand finale

- When Jack 49 stopped by Tower Station 52 for the medical equipment to fix up Julia, how did Vika 52 not see Jack 49's jacket, with the blatant blue 49 written on his chest? It was right in front of her face for *&$#'s sake!

- When Beech has Jack 49 tied to the chair, he speaks to him from the darkness, reciting a bit of the poem in the book that Jack collected from the library where he was hunting for a missing drone. Beech recites the exact portion of the passage that Jack read to himself earlier. It's as if there are no other words on the pages that he looks at! I can accept that their *might* be a ribbon-bookmark on that page, but how does Beech know which book it was, did he happen to know that specific book by heart, or did he happen to catch the name of the book from the other side of the library (in the dark) and happen to find another copy of said book amongst the chaos of the library and happen to guess that Jack 49 would look at that exact passage and remember it in the event that he actually managed to capture Jack 49, he could dramatically recite that portion of the text to his captive? Tittie sprinkes!

I could go on, but I'm so disappointed that the story for this just fell apart in so many places and used every cliche in the book as a crutch that it'd take me many, many posts to highlight all of the problems.

Like I said, the visuals are fantastic. The designs are elegant in every respect. Most of them were very congruent (though the motorbike was a bit angular, considering the shapes of the Bubbleship and the Tower Station), but that is nitpicking.

The music is epic, haunting and beautiful. There are hints of the Tron:Legacy OST in it, but they've stolen the best parts of that soundtrack and added so much more. 'StarWaves' is worth the price of the album itself IMO.

Last edited by Pixanaut : 04-21-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

Haha fair enough. That is quite a list.
I understand your points. None of that bothered me while seeing it though

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira
Architecture, Engine, Germany

I swear that this was the first movie with a twist that I figured out COMPLETELY from the trailers.

And all the major coincidences another poster listed above...totally absurd.

Very very weak movie.

Last edited by CB_3D : 04-21-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Well thanks for the spoilers

Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_3D
I swear that this was the first movie with a twist that I figured out COMPLETELY from the trailers.

Ditto. Like Pyke said, if you've seen any scifi films in the last 20 years and you've seen the trailers for Oblivion, nothing in it should surprise you.

Last edited by Pixanaut : 04-21-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #14
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixanaut
I have a lot of problems with the story because a ton of it didn't make sense to me, even within the logic of the film... (heavy spoilers hidden here):

Like I said, the visuals are fantastic. The designs are elegant in every respect. Most of them were very congruent (though the motorbike was a bit angular, considering the shapes of the Bubbleship and the Tower Station), but that is nitpicking.

The music is epic, haunting and beautiful. There are hints of the Tron:Legacy OST in it, but they've stolen the best parts of that soundtrack and added so much more. 'StarWaves' is worth the price of the album itself IMO.

All true! But you missed one:

Spoiler:

When TET captured Jack Harper and Vika (never mind that TET completely ignored the detached Odyssey section that seemed like it was only a few kilometres away).... It cloned Jack Harper and used millions of him standing shoulder-to-shoulder in dropship craft to invade the Earth.

Now.. from linking this revelation to the earliest part in the film, we learn that TET relies on the clones being setup with an ingrained Cover Story complete with a "Sally Imitation" and convinces each of them that they live ALONE. 49 and 52 are obviously startled to see each other on Earth.

The question is, how did TET manage the Jack Harper invasion in the first place? If it needed a "Cover Story" for the invasion that successfully justified Jack Harper being multiplied so many times.. then why not carry that story over for the Resource Sucking Mop-Up?
If TET actually managed all the clones WITHOUT an elaborate Cover Story, then why use one in the Mop-Up? It can all go faster with many Jack Harpers working together than separate.

It seems like Oblivion needed about 2 or 3 more drafts to really become tight enough... too many plot holes I won't even repeat here, but that one above was the one that nagged me.

A few things I would have suggested off the bat:
Spoiler:

0) Get rid of Titan... It wasn't useful to the story, except as a symbol for the "New Life" that awaits them. Maybe it should have been the reverse. The Cover Story is that Jack and Vika are helping to prepare the Earth for the return of people from Titan. (which is WALL-E... yes.. but that was actually tighter than leaving the Earth).

1) Maybe the TET's objective Post-War should be changed from "eating the planet's resources and leaving" to "rebuilding the planet for its own 'pet human race' or something.. the Jack Harpers and Vikas being setup as pairs to figure out which of them would breed the proper "starting race" for TET. This doesn't change the existence of the Human Resistance or the plan against TET.... it just means that TET has a reason for isolating Jack and Vika clones on Earth living in a posh setting. (Because it can claim later for example that "Titan was destroyed".. which means the Jack and Vika it chooses will be the Adam and Eve of the New Earth.)

2) That maybe Jack and his crew encountered TET far away from Earth... and that first contact with TET led TET to the Earth.

3) To state that Millions of Jack Harpers attacked the Earth is not necessary, maybe it just makes more sense that TET attacked the earth with Drones instead while it mulled over its curiosity of Jack and Vika.

Not saying I have all the answers, but just demonstrating that too much of Oblivion was "loose".. and definitely a lot could still be switched out or patched up in drafts and you can still maintain most of what was already in there - because it's too "loose".

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 04-22-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #15
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

The soundtrack was very good in this, I wonder if Joe Kosinski will be using M83 for TRON3 or will be bringing back Daft Punk?

Personally, I always wondered what Nine Inch Nails might have done with it (gritty, hard, industrial electronica mirroring the darkness of the world of the grid).

Thread Closed share thread