Man of Steel - Trailer #3 .

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
The more I see of it... The more I think they WILL go with this concept of Krypton having either a hostile faction, falling to a coup setup by Zod or simply being an Imperialist planet with Kal'El as a non-conformist.

Imperialist Krypton is something that supports this idea. I always felt that it was a great way forward and it really seems like this is what will happen.

But also more and more the close association of Superman and Dragonbill Z grow closer with each succeeding new chapter.

Old 04 April 2013   #17
Originally Posted by unclebob: well the breathing in space bothers me, does coming to Earth change his physics? can he breath in space in his home world?

Mind.Blown.
Thanks for ruining Superman.
It turns out kryptonite isn't his only weakness... Logic is just as deadly.

Old 04 April 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Pixanaut: Mind.Blown.
Thanks for ruining Superman.
It turns out kryptonite isn't his only weakness... Logic is just as deadly.

I think if I was doing Man Of Steel? And presuming that creators of films these days can come from a standpoint that they only need "casuals" to get into the film?

I'd not only allow Superman to breathe in space... I'd even get rid of Kryptonite. Instead, I'd go with "over-balancing".... the universe can have all manner of Super-Races and Super-Enemies and Superman is the only one who can fight them all.

Lex Luthor will just have to be SMARTER to be his nemesis.

Why? From a writing standpoint, Yellow Sun, Kryptonite, and placing limitations on Superman just uses up minutes that is better spent on the "Ideal for all Earth to Aspire For" and the concept that Zod or others are either Imperial Kryptonians or "another race of super beings" which is enough balancing.

Kryptonite is useless and I'd actually move to get rid of it altogether for this continuity.

Old 04 April 2013   #19
Originally Posted by unclebob: well the breathing in space bothers me, does coming to Earth change his physics? can he breath in space in his home world?

I don' t think I saw anyone breathing in space in that trailer.

Old 04 April 2013   #20
Out of all the things Supes can do, holding his breath for a long time in space or anywhere is definitely not high on my list of things that strain credibility. Hell, the way he flies is completely ridiculous, but who cares, it's cool.

Unless they do something to break any rules they themselves have set up, I can pretty much let myself buy into almost any kind of completely silly "super" happenings, as long as they make it look cool and have some kind of consistency. (Within one movie or series, obviously the rules for superheroes in general and each superhero have changed dozens of times between comics and movies and animated shows and whatever else.)

Old 04 April 2013   #21
Nick Nolte was up for the Donner film and he remarked in one of those actor studios things that if he had got the part he would have played Superman as insane. The audience laughed. He replied that he wasnt joking.

I think if Superman came to earth as a baby he would have seriously hurt or killed someone or several people by his teen years and been exposed to the world or at least government agencies. hard to imagine if he had such powers as a child that he wouldnt exercising them by accident or intent.

Kryptonite was well used in the 78 movie. Its dramatic purpose was to give him a weakness when he least expected it (as well as show that he was a bit naive revealing his vulnerability to lead).. If everyone has super powers and no weaknesses then Superman is so removed from mortal identification he might as well be Apollo.

Old 04 April 2013   #22
I think Smallville overdid the kryptonite thing, but I am not against having it, just against using it as a crutch. I am also not necessarily for constantly having super villains thrown at him. There are still things Superman can't do. I thought the 1978 movie did a good job of that, particularly with the two missiles on opposite sides of the country and he can only stop one. A genius bad guy like Lex Luthor should be able to dream up scenarios that stretch Superman's powers.

Why not time a scheme based on a natural disaster? On a global scale, natural disasters are quite frequent, and Superman would be expected to help with each one. Luthor could completely get away with something while Superman is saving a whole city from something he had nothing to do with.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04 April 2013   #23
Theres alot you can do with Superman you dont even need villains. If he's not perfect he's failing.

As cheesy as Smallville is. Superman is his own worst enemy, his ego.

I hope at least half of the film is his origin of before he became superman. No ones really explained, that or come up with a good way of how he became superman.

Old 04 April 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Calabi:
I hope at least half of the film is his origin of before he became superman. No ones really explained, that or come up with a good way of how he became superman.

That's the one thing I thought Smallville did well. Over the course of ten years, bit by bit you see him gaining the puzzle pieces that allow him to become the Clark Kent we know, mild mannered, glasses wearing reporter, and Superman, the costume, the colors and the symbol.

Old 04 April 2013   #25
Originally Posted by teruchan: I think Smallville overdid the kryptonite thing, but I am not against having it, just against using it as a crutch. I am also not necessarily for constantly having super villains thrown at him. There are still things Superman can't do. I thought the 1978 movie did a good job of that, particularly with the two missiles on opposite sides of the country and he can only stop one. A genius bad guy like Lex Luthor should be able to dream up scenarios that stretch Superman's powers.

Why not time a scheme based on a natural disaster? On a global scale, natural disasters are quite frequent, and Superman would be expected to help with each one. Luthor could completely get away with something while Superman is saving a whole city from something he had nothing to do with.

There are many modern ways in which Luthor can be a match for Superman without Kryptonite ever being used. There's the internet, there's technology, there's manipulation, Status Quo VS Disenfranchised....

And as for not throwing Supervillains at Superman all the time, gee... I dunno it worked for Dragonball Z (where each enemy was just stronger than the last).... They don't have Kryptonite either.

Again, I'm kinda guessing here they will go with either Zod representing the Kryptonian Empire, or that Zod is proof that there are actually many powerful races in the universe (ala: Dragonball Z).

Without Justice League that makes the value of Superman as a hero the highest it has been ever in any medium. Whether such a setup validates Justice League is another issue.

Originally Posted by kelgy: If everyone has super powers and no weaknesses then Superman is so removed from mortal identification he might as well be Apollo.

Although it was a short-lived "valley" in the plotline, I was really struck be the scene where Superman discovers (for even just a short time) that even with all his powers he couldn't stop Lois Lane from dying.

I think THAT is weakness enough - and much worse than "Green Crystal..... can't use... powers...." I mean.. that kind of stuff is only really good now for Supergirl films, and not for the right reasons.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 04 April 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #26

Old 04 April 2013   #27
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: The more I see of it... The more I think they WILL go with this concept of Krypton having either a hostile faction, falling to a coup setup by Zod or simply being an Imperialist planet with Kal'El as a non-conformist.

I think Zod will be revealed to be the leader of a Kryptonian terrorist organization called "Black Zero"

This organization plants the seed that leads to the destruction of the Planet.

More on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Zero

And about Superman Weaknesses...
He can be killed by Magic, and he is in effect a living solar battery that needs a constant recharge from the sun.

Also he cares deeply about his set of Morals and people. Bad guys tend to use that against him.

What I always found cool is that the main bad guy in Superman's life is his exact opposite.
A human with no powers whatsoever, but makes it up with an amazing intellect.

Luthor is a human that has picked up a fight with a living God, simply because the mere idea of someone like a Sun God existing at all disgusts him.

That is freaking cool.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 04 April 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #28
I think I have to agree with Luthor, Superman is a bad idea really.

Old 04 April 2013   #29
Originally Posted by ice-boy:

This is strangely like an adventure game from the 90's.

Old 04 April 2013   #30
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: And as for not throwing Supervillains at Superman all the time, gee... I dunno it worked for Dragonball Z (where each enemy was just stronger than the last).... They don't have Kryptonite either.

But Superman doesn't have 25 half hour episodes to spend on fighting a single villain.

Thread Closed share thread