IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Week-001: April 15-21- 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #46
Thanks man. Now we need to make one very long movie altogether, sell it, get rich and live on an island.

Old 04 April 2013   #47
Originally Posted by teruchan: So you posted this fan art solely on your own site, and not in any of the popular art portals? That is TRULY an example of going viral. Great stuff!

I did post it on Reddit, and my twitter-and thats when it went a bit moggy.

Old 04 April 2013   #48
Originally Posted by mister3d: Thanks man. Now we need to make one very long movie altogether, sell it, get rich and live on an island.

We will of course have to leave the island when they want sequels.

Old 04 April 2013   #49
Originally Posted by TheCastle: CONCEPT NAME: NeverEndingPrincessStory
CATEGORY: Animation
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Think Harry Potter meets Dallas. An original production with mass appeal. The catch-phrase is "Find Your One True Love" and the concept (IP) includes a fully-functional and state-of-the-art dating website to help you do just that.
STATUS NUMBER: 1 + contractors
...............etc etc etc...

I think the biggest issue with this, from an artistic point of view, is that its not unique enough to look at. It looks like every other poser/DAZ animation ever made.
Not commenting on the actual content, but from the visuals alone I think you need to produce LESS work with a HIGHER QUALITY to really get noticed.

Buy After Effects, get MOJO, or LOOKS, and spend more time in the composting and grading stage. Use ZDepth passes and add in some depth of field. use motion blur,and buy the Video Copilot ACTION ESSENTIALS pack to add in some cool atmosphere to your shots. They really need 'more' to stand out.

Your characters themselves also need work to make the unique. I've never used POSER or DAZ, but I'm assuming you can use morphs and give your characters much stronger silhouettes. Recognizable characters are one of the main cornerstones of a successful IP.

In regards to editing, I would recommend cutting the videos in half. Content online MUST be short. There is a reason movie trailers don't exceed 4 minutes-you have a very short amount of time to hold someones attention. You can still tell the same story-but do it in small bite-sized chunks.

It does not compare to feature film work and I know this.

Im probably going to get flack for this-but you cant have this attitude. You MUST do the ABSOLUTE BEST WORK POSSIBLE. You MUST get as close as you can to the BEST QUALITY you can.
Now, while you aren't going to get to PIXAR, or Beowulf levels, you can certainly aim to the levels set in high-end in game cinematics, like the ones in Star Craft for example. And if you cant get to those levels, you need to use another style that you can push to its absolute pinnacle.

People have come to expect super high quality from digital artists-you need to push yourself as far as possible to stand above the crowd.

Old 04 April 2013   #50
Originally Posted by Pyke:
People have come to expect super high quality from digital artists-you need to push yourself as far as possible to stand above the crowd.

Agreed, but there is an alternative.
You could stylize you artwork to make it more manageable.
Look at this animation by CUBE using STICK FIGURES.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURF2PlIqtE

Right now concentrate in telling your story. You need to mind the most effective method to deliver it.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2013   #51
I agree completely, which is why I also said:

And if you cant get to those levels, you need to use another style that you can push to its absolute pinnacle.

If you use 'straight 3D rendering', unfortunately you are going to be compared to other 3D projects, both amateur and professional.I think that you need to choose a style that you can push to look the best you can possibly make it. If its stick figures, those figures must be the most professional damned stick figures ever!

Cyanide and Happiness is a perfect example of this. As far as simplified, emotive drawings go, they are fantastic-and are at the peak of what a 'simplified, emotive webcomic' can be. If they started to move towards shaded backgrounds, and more complex facial features, they would start to be compared to other-better and more successfully drawn-comics, and lose the edge that they have.

Old 04 April 2013   #52
Hey guys; here's some more information about why I made/make some of the choices I do...

I think to some degree everyone uses models. I was watching a "making of" film on "How to train your dragon" and they were excitedly waiting for the models to come from China. They were being made by toy makers. Interesting. The difference is that by commissioning this model they OWN it. If you own that model you can confidently say "make me 1 million T-shirts please" without having to pay royalties. I could produce digital images based on the models I "rent" without problem but someone could also simply download that character and get them to do strange things, for example. If I want to use that scene or model in a game I have to pay additional royalties.

I also got the feeling when watching Brave that I had already seen that movie; and it was called "How to train your dragon". There must have been a special on crusty Scottish dudes who were missing a limb that month; for example.

I have never had anyone who does not do 3d tell me that they recognize the models. Most girls like the clothes in fact. There's another thread on physical attributes on this board and let me just say that although people SAY they are interested in diversity the reality is that most of the actors on TV are pretty good looking. It's not by accident. And don't forget the expense! It's pretty hard with 8 storylines, at least 2 characters per scene, to make the characters look "unique". You can spend a fortune just on hair props!

I also feel that the new Daz Genesis models will allow me to stretch a bit more as they are rigged differently (ie: better). But alas this figure is not currently supported in the software I use, but should be soon. It's also in some ways a forced upgrade, still waiting for it to mature a bit. I have also been enjoying buying "real" clothes and renovating the house instead of buying the rights to use digital representations of Princess dresses, it can get expensive.

As for the length of the videos when I started out I found it important to keep sending out short clips to keep momentum going. The website was actually designed with this in mind; kind of a flip-book thing. I cringe for sure at some of the images and could do alot better now but that was then, this is now. As a storyteller (and especially in animation) I think it's important for people to look at what's going on and "get it" immediately. Is she scared? It looks like they are lost. Stuff like this. I test it on my kids to see if they're following it for example.

Now I am now low level YouTube partner and their big thing is TV so I made another cut and made 4 x 15 minute "episodes". I will leave them up there and then start to produce new 5 minute clips only to be released on (INSERT SPONSOR'S URL HERE) and the website. That's the plan anyway...

I'm hoping you have not seen anything like my concept; and that's what makes it unique.

Old 04 April 2013   #53
banman7, I really like your Silhouettes for the characters. You have been planning lots of things at the same time (manga,movie,t-shirts etc.) How you planning to manage this alone? I am thinking on similar lines, but my plan is to focus on one thing at a time.

By nature I'm not a great modeler, nor by practice. But one thing I'm good at is coordinating time and speed of things when I get to it.

I would make a good director and hope I get there.

For now for the Tshirts I just think up the designs and get them going with the artists I enlist. I have to pay them a little bit but try to keep the drawings simple. I do some of the drawings myself for other tshirts and keep those simple as well.

While I'm getting modeling and rigging done (which is why I'm selling Tshirts to get some money as 2d artists doing a nice cute like picture cost way less than 3d modeler) I'm working on script. I'll be using Mocap for animation and facial capture for animation.

I find every animation shortcut I can use. From buying stock models in props, sketchup for prop models, Vue for background scenes. My biggest obstacle is finding the right modeler and see if I can get them through at least 3 models. I have had a hard time with that cause even though I pay I don't pay alot and so they get busy and have to go on. So now I have one great model but no one for him to play with. Process starts again. If I could pay them more I can retain them longer and expect more adjustments to get it right.

And I may use Poser for the people characters. You can get a good look out of them if you work them right and not just stick to basics.

TheCastle: Here is something I did in 10 minutes. Just for fun I took the base models, used something from the sketchup forum and rendered it in Vue with no effort. Stock poses!
LIke I said 10 minutes tops. If you want to send me 1 Daz file I can render it for you just to show you how it could look with a few adjustments. Not redoing what you do but future moving forward.

As for the length of the videos when I started out I found it important to keep sending out short clips to keep momentum going. The website was actually designed with this in mind; kind of a flip-book thing. I cringe for sure at some of the images and could do alot better now but that was then, this is now. As a storyteller (and especially in animation) I think it's important for people to look at what's going on and "get it" immediately. Is she scared? It looks like they are lost. Stuff like this. I test it on my kids to see if they're following it for example.

I think you hit the nail on the head too. You have to keep and get people interested by releasing stuff and keep them there. I think that is where some do fail. Long time between updates or at least contact.

Oh and I ran into this. It may interest you. It is a series I followed. Very good stuff.
May inspire you in your work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ki...re=results_main
Attached Images
File Type: jpg run alien.jpg (35.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by banman7 : 04 April 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #54
Roberto, if you haven't done so, you need to get in touch with Kirsty (Kirsty Parkin <kirsty@ballisticmedia.net>) about this whole IP development thing. I already talked to her about his, and she's open to suggestions on how CGSociety can help organize and promote.

Old 04 April 2013   #55
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Roberto, if you haven't done so, you need to get in touch with Kirsty (Kirsty Parkin <kirsty@ballisticmedia.net>) about this whole IP development thing. I already talked to her about his, and she's open to suggestions on how CGSociety can help organize and promote.

Thanks I will.
-R

Old 04 April 2013   #56
Originally Posted by mister3d: Thanks man. Now we need to make one very long movie altogether, sell it, get rich and live on an island.

Tried that. It won't work, too many egos and human frailties kick in.
Have you not seen Lord of the Flies?

Jules

Old 04 April 2013   #57
Concept Name: SCHIRKOA

CGTalk WIP thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1103500

Project Description:
SCHIRKOA is the story (an IP maybe) I will be trying to develop in coming years.
At the moment I am aiming at an animated Short Film. Followed by a graphic novel. And then let's see what else can come out. It's set in a dystopian city, involves bagheads and some other 'creatures'

Status Number: 1

Team Members: 2
Ishan (Writing/Directing/CGI/Graphic Novel/everything else)
Yiming (Rigging/Animation/Simulations)

Start Date : Mid 2010. But it's been mostly off until Summer 2012.

Estimated Completion Date : February 2014 (Short Film)

What went right this week: Basically, things got moving! Yiming (my rigger, animator friend) has come on board. He will be working from Singapore. The site is finally up. It's still pretty empty, but hopefully I will be more consistent with updates. Talked to a music composer and the conversation proved fruitful.

What has gone wrong so far: I was chasing wrong rendering style. And I never locked the story down. These 2 mistakes left the film in a limbo. I am exploring some faster and simpler rendering styles and aiming to lock the story pretty soon.

Show & Tell :
A couple of drawings from my old storyboard. None of these sequences or characters are in the film any more, but these have provided strong foundation to the style of my upcoming graphic novel.

Last edited by redCigarette : 04 April 2013 at 08:05 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #58
Wow Ishan that is fantastic work!
-R

Old 04 April 2013   #59
Originally Posted by redCigarette: Concept Name: SCHIRKOA

Sorry, not getting the story. I must have missed it somewhere?
But it looks great.

Jules

Old 04 April 2013   #60
banman7, I really like your Silhouettes for the characters. You have been planning lots of things at the same time (manga,movie,t-shirts etc.) How you planning to manage this alone? I am thinking on similar lines, but my plan is to focus on one thing at a time.

Also the manga/online comic is just frames cut out and pasted back in as comic book mode to match the storyboard.

So cut and paste the best frame that corresponds to the storyboard. So really just making one movie and doing dailies that look like comics. I might have someone compile it as well.

Thread Closed share thread