IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Week-001: April 15-21- 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Frotze, thanks man. I will definitely think about this. Before animation there's plenty of time, so I will re-think it and re-test it properly. It's true most shorts fail on the story.

04 April 2013
Quote: CONCEPT NAME: NeverEndingPrincessStory CATEGORY: Animation PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Think Harry Potter meets Dallas. An original production with mass appeal. The catch-phrase is "Find Your One True Love" and the concept (IP) includes a fully-functional and state-of-the-art dating website to help you do just that.

Try running an AO pass on everything to give it a softer look.
Also maybe you can look into Kinect Mocap or something to naturalize the animation.
Zigntrack facial capture plus many more if you are using Daz characters.
Maybe go out and take pictures and do IBL instead. These renders are a little harsh.

Here is an animation I did in about an hour and let render overnight. I used Poser characters, IBL and mocap. Just imported it into Vue and hit render. I think you can do something similiar. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/463214

If you are going to develop an IP you need a little higher level of quality or at least some stylization. Work on your renders and if you can't animate fake it.
I know the path you are taking and believe me my first animations looked just like this but there are simple things you can do to make it watchable.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57943 first animations. 2002 had to make em light.

Maybe even do it in vector or something would increase the watchability.
Check it out.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/119403
This is not mine by the way.

You have to up that rendering or at least stylize it a bit to make it watchable.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Frotze: CONCEPT NAME: Le Gouffre

Looks great (as other's projects here). I only want to ask: are eyes occlusion omitted for stylistic choice? because it always catches my eye with being overly crisp, but if it's intended then ok.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Looks great (as other's projects here). I only want to ask: are eyes occlusion omitted for stylistic choice? because it always catches my eye with being overly crisp, but if it's intended then ok.

It's a stylistic choice. But we're aware it looks a little creepy sometimes, especially from up close, so lately we've been working out ways to bring more volume. Hopefully, we'll be able to show it off eventually, once we reach shots that don't contain too many spoilers. Anyway, thanks for your input!

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Definitely she could be omitted, but why she was included? Because in every movie you see that always-present love story. There's always a love story. It's so evident when you pay attention to this it's laughable.
Not in any way trying to defend those choices, but rather explain why it was chosen. I will try to present the storyboard if i have time, and then see what you think. Thank you for help!

Then maybe the GIRL should be the SCIENTIST! By finding her trapped in the wreckage you automatically make one invest in the other. It's like in SPEED. because the cop and the girl are in the bus.. they automatically have a relationship.

When the thing is over.. they can kiss.. and nobody is the wiser!

Note to Rob: At the risk of letting my Day Job influence this thread, we probably need PROJECT CODES and a rule that we use the PROJECT CODE in subject line? I can see a lot of criss-crossing now.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Then maybe the GIRL should be the SCIENTIST! By finding her trapped in the wreckage you automatically make one invest in the other. It's like in SPEED. because the cop and the girl are in the bus.. they automatically have a relationship.

When the thing is over.. they can kiss.. and nobody is the wiser!

That's a good idea!

04 April 2013
I agree it could get very difficult to find and keep up with things in here. This is my first time checking in and 3 pages already?!

Originally Posted by Pyke:
SHOW AND TELL:

The fan art I did:
http://www.stasisgame.com/wp-conten...-INFINITE-B.jpg

So you posted this fan art solely on your own site, and not in any of the popular art portals? That is TRULY an example of going viral. Great stuff!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

04 April 2013
Quote: Originally Posted by Pyke SHOW AND TELL: The fan art I did: http://www.stasisgame.com/wp-conten...-INFINITE-B.jpg

Holy crippity crap. That looks fantabulous

04 April 2013
Emergan-C :30 "Send in The Reinforcements" Spec Commercial

STATUS NUMBER: 1

THE PITCH: A woman is feeling sick. We zoom down her throat into her stomach where green monsters are upsetting her stomach. On the horizon, a group of glowing knights with orange peels for shields/armor. They charge into battle as we zoom out of her mouth where she just finished drinking a glass of Emergan-C.

This spec commercial will be done using Blender, and all assets will be released open source after the spot is online.

TEAM MEMBERS: 5
Ty Leisher - Director/Lighting/Layout/Animation
Alexis Edelman - Producer
Matias Mendiola - Concept Artist
Maile Cassara - Production Designer
Krišs Bērzkalns - Lead Modelor

START DATE: April 2013

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE : July 2013

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK: We completed some of the concept art for the monsters and are working on the models now. Working on completing the knights and the hero knight concepts.

We brought on Kriss to lead our modeling.

WHAT WENT WRONG: We're progressing slower than I wanted, once we complete storyboards and the concept art I am going to try to recruit additional modelors, riggers and animators using a pitch video I am working on. Once we get our full team we'll kick it into high gear.

SHOW AND TELL:
Will post some of the concept art once I get clearance from the producer.

Last edited by tleisher : 04 April 2013 at 02:36 AM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: I agree it could get very difficult to find and keep up with things in here. This is my first time checking in and 3 pages already?!

So you posted this fan art solely on your own site, and not in any of the popular art portals? That is TRULY an example of going viral. Great stuff!

I will post a summary of the projects on the first page with a link to the first post
by week's end. That should help a bit.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

04 April 2013
Wow! Ton's of responses, that's great! Glad to see Quebec represent !

banman7:

I am glad I inspired you to create something. I know you guys all work at big studios and everything so this stuff is pretty easy. I wonder if it's cool to post an animation of copyrighted characters (Iron Man, Spiderman) on a forum about IP but maybe that's just me; Mr. Cautious...

I just want to re-iterate that for me this is about IP; characters and story development. I'm trying to build a "property" and feel that there is a "hole" or "weakness" in the online dating world.

I think that if there was a website that was for people (ie: WOMEN) who were looking for really "good" guys who were "vetted" by other women then I think it could be a hit. If you get the girls to come then guys will follow of course. I think existing options are targeted towards men and are designed for hookups, not real relationships. I'm a happily married guy and some of our friends want what we have but are not satisfied with the existing options. So I think there's potential there. The movie is just a way to show the "values" and get people interested.

I am not really sold on Mocap, I remember reading about a guy on these boards that tried it and it sounded pretty awful and depressing.

For those who are reading this for insights on the way that I do produce the animation here's the lowdown:

I use DazStudio alot and they have a fantastic program called "puppeteer". Just like you would imagine it. A puppet on a string. Pretty handy.

I create them in Daz and import them into Carrara.

1. I use alot of "canned" poses and what I would call "interpolation"; or a movement that happens within a set period of time. For example: The girls hands are at her sides. Move time slider forward. Raise arm. Rewind timeline. Based on the tweener it will simulate movement.
2. Canned motions. Daz calls them aniblocks or you could call them a series of keyframes. Not bad for walk cycles and more complicated movements but of course they are limited.
3. Motions within motions. Breathing, blinking, hair movement, etc.
4. Keyframe animations for things like lights.
5. When you add vocals there's other options, you can do it automatically or manually keyframe blinks, expressions, etc.

Now I am considering secondary levels of animation on top of individual frames using Photoshop. Could be useful for blood seeping across the floor for example...

I am hoping that in the "new season" you see a substantial upgrade in quality. But alas it's a NeverEndingStory...

I wonder sometimes what the payback is to remaster old episodes. I have all the original files and could of course go back and adjust. Or will the SpeedGrade even it out enough? I have to go back and do subtitles in French and Chinese over the summer and will probably look at this then but you wonder sometimes how much time to spend on fixing old stuff or just making new?

Or how much time do you spend on marketing/promotion? Ha, ha... back to doing something productive

04 April 2013
I am the Antagonist

Milton a member of Protector Force has discovered the secret of his universe. In order to save it he has to become the villain.

Ren has grown up his whole life fascinated by Kaiju. His life's dream is to become the man behind the costume and stomp Tokyo. His favorite Kaiju idol is retiring and he is looking to become his predecessor. The time is right because his favorite Kaiju is going to get a reboot spinoff show of his own!

Joe is a Sasquatch like creature who grew up in a hole, literally. His kind never leave the "hole" except one day, Joe tired of his life in the Hole embarks on a journey that not only injures him but gives him a new life.

Snailo is the Earth's protector and has fought and aided Protector Force. He is blamed for the death of Protector Force but before he can avenge himself his whole world changes and he is rebooted....rebooted?

Carsten is a nice schlub working in at a computer company till the Universe from another dimension opens up to him and gives him super powers. However he cannot use it till the threat arrives and the world changes. HE dons the super hero persona known as Super Sentai MAN! He loved watching Protector Force as a kid.

These characters collide tale spanning several dimensions, galaxies and universes. It is Neverending Story mixed with everything I found fun as a kid! Giant Monsters, Bigfoot, Sentai Warriors, mechas, super heroes, aliens, video games, time travel, alternate dimensions etc. Your head will explode.

Delivery method: This will be a cross media IP. Everything will be recycled and reused. A frame of animation will turn into a comic book panel. Animations will turn into interactive pieces.

Delivery is for print in manga format, full animated movie, cinematic comic app, online comic.
Like I said recycle and reuse.

Team Members: Me...with voice actors.

Goal this week: finish first draft.

Goals met: Tshirt designs. Yes I'm creating this series to advertise my Tshirt designs. Not necessarily based on the show. I've finished about 8 different designs. I'm getting permission to use use some known properties to sell.
These shirts are not for sale but just gives you an idea of what I'm doing.

Here are a few more.

I'm not advertising right now so please don't think that. These shirts are not available they are WIPs for shirts to come but to find out where they are sold you'll have to wait till the show and slightly before.

So this week I'm finishing up a few more and getting a few more done. Trying to sell a few here and there to earn money to build some assets. I'm not a good modeler. Teruchan if you are reading this - everytime you've told me to do the Anigen method I tried and all it does is make me think of another story and then bamm! 5,000 more characters that need to be done. Sorry I make monsters .... This idea is the result of trying to do more humanoid characters that could fit in the Anigen method. Then it exploded. Hahaha!

This Weeks Goals:
Finish up designs and find modeler. Sell comic collection and toys to get more money to find modelers, want to start on Snailo and Sasquatch named Joe. Get blog website drawn up and find voice actors.
Finish script.

But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Roberto is doing this. I think this will help me be motivated to keep going and maybe garner interest.
As far as the Tshirts I've been hiring differant artists. I hope to be able to share the wealth with them. 50% of all tshirt profits will go to them. Whether I make 1 dollar or 1 million. Most of them don't know that part of the deal yet but I believe in share the wealth.

Quote: I am not really sold on Mocap, I remember reading about a guy on these boards that tried it and it sounded pretty awful and depressing.

To The Castle:

I found it to be a lot of fun. Like I said I did that one animation with the dancing guys in less than an hour. At about 1:52 it changes and you can see a little bit of the gesturing work.

PS here is the silouette of some of the characters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snailo.jpg (42.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by banman7 : 04 April 2013 at 04:25 AM.

04 April 2013
Quote: CONCEPT NAME: NeverEndingPrincessStory
CATEGORY: Animation
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Think Harry Potter meets Dallas. An original production with mass appeal. The catch-phrase is "Find Your One True Love" and the concept (IP) includes a fully-functional and state-of-the-art dating website to help you do just that.
STATUS NUMBER: 1 + contractors
TEAM MEMBERS: CEO/Head Dishwasher - Chris Cowan. I hire contractors from time to time depending on need. I .

TheCastle,
you got some budget to hire animators? IMHO, if possible you should try to hire 1-2 CG artists to polish/re-create your animated videos. If not perhaps you can look into some cheap motion capture solutions. Or turn the whole thing into stylized mograph. At the moment CG looks little dated. But interesting project nonetheless. Good luck.

04 April 2013
Quote: Top secret project
I will try helping others if I have time. Thank you Roberto, I already started forgetting about this dream of mine.
What's collecting dust on the harddrive...

Though it started as a group of 5 people, currently it's me and my friend, who does particle and simulation effects, Sasha Kharchenko. No experience, no money, people needed to live, so they left.

The length: 6 minutes.

mister3d,
Wow you have been working on this for a long time! Hope this thread makes you finish this.

04 April 2013
Quote: I am the Antagonist
Milton a member of Protector Force has discovered the secret of his universe. In order to save it he has to become the villain.

Quote: Delivery is for print in manga format, full animated movie, cinematic comic app, online comic.
Like I said recycle and reuse.

Team Members: Me...with voice actors.

banman7,
I really like your Silhouettes for the characters. You have been planning lots of things at the same time (manga,movie,t-shirts etc.) How you planning to manage this alone? I am thinking on similar lines, but my plan is to focus on one thing at a time.

Thread Closed share thread