Does Anyone Have a 3D Model of a Woman With Normal Body Proportions?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #61
Originally Posted by Whirlwind123: Don't know if you will actually come back Leigh but this male on this male-dominated forum greatly appreciates your comments and thinks they are useful and need to be voiced! So don't think you are alone shouting at a wall.

Shes gone to watch some amazing atheist feminism youtube videos.

Old 04 April 2013   #62
Originally Posted by JeroenDStout: The Hawkeye Initiative is an excellent example of how comic books idealise men and women in troubling ways.
Oh man, you have got to warn me before putting up a link like that. That was so funny I nearly busted out laughing at work.

Edit:
These just get funnier and funnier. There goes the rest of my day.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 04 April 2013 at 09:45 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #63
Originally Posted by JeroenDStout: Recently with the new Tomb Raider game I still wonder how much of Lara's behaviour is meant just to appeal to my 'oh you poor woman' instinct; and I would love a mod of the game which would gender-swap her into a man. A man being portrayed that fragile would be unheard of, as far as I know.

Yeah you are right I doubt it would sell. Although there are plenty of games where you start off as a weakling and develop I dont think a touchy feely guy hero would fly just yet. I dont know how I would feel if my Brutus character went off to have a quiet cry in the corner. I guess I am just too bent out of shape by conditioning.

Old 04 April 2013   #64
Originally Posted by Kanga: Yeah you are right I doubt it would sell.

The first games weren't about her being a whiner, and that was great. Honestly, the art direction just doesn't match to Core studio. Though, whatever sells. TR series ended for me with TRIII.

Old 04 April 2013   #65
Originally Posted by mister3d: The first games weren't about her being a whiner, and that was great. Honestly, the art direction just doesn't match to Core studio. Though, whatever sells. TR series ended for me with TRIII.

Eh, I always thought Tomb Raider was a crappy version of Mario 64 with a busty lead. What was Toby Gard's take on it. To paraphrase him, "I'd much rather look at a girl's bum than a guys". The controls were finally decent enough to play after TRIII, I thought.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #66
I gave up on Tomb Raider because you have these two big guns, and you're fighting a normal human being that you have to shoot 57 times to see him fall down, and then he still somehow manages to get away so he can come back and fight you again later.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04 April 2013   #67
since this threads been sidetracked, ill go one step further. someone mentioned how our faces and bodies arent symmetrically perfect. the other day i came across something called the "true mirror" (google it, i dont want to advertise). but they put them on display at burning man. its basically two mirrors at a 90 angle with the center aligned perfectly so as to appear flat like a regular mirror. but it shows the reverse image of your face. and its the only time you will see your face in 3d as other people see it. its supposed to be quite an interesting experience and a lot of people are mesmerized by it. web cam flips arent the same because its still only a 2d image..

carry on...

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 04 April 2013   #68
I've been working with researchers who are developing a cloth sim app for fashion design. My job has been giving them a better model. Anyway, there have been lots of "discussions" about measurements. Basically, the measurements they've been giving me have literally been inhuman, even just the size of the head. Two books that I've been able to reference to argue for a normal sized head have been Wilkinson's Forensic Facial Reconstruction and Face It which just came out from Focal Press. Those I needed because I needed to prove the head measurements I was using were human, regardless of ethnicity.

Anyway, the experience has been interesting in just how distorted the idea of not just beauty proportions are, but what's normal. There's a lot of delusional thinking out there which goes beyond just huge, gravity defying boobs.

Old 04 April 2013   #69
Originally Posted by mister3d: The first games weren't about her being a whiner, and that was great. Honestly, the art direction just doesn't match to Core studio. Though, whatever sells. TR series ended for me with TRIII.

I was using that example to say how there would be a negative reaction to a man showing a more innocent reaction to hyper-violence but you sort-of show a negative reaction to a woman showing a more innocent reaction, too

(Not that I am zealously preaching the virtues of Tomb Raider. Probably the game would have been better if they had just not called it Tomb Raider but let it be new IP, comparing it to the other Tomb Raider games is not really useful if it is Tomb Raider in name only.)

Old 04 April 2013   #70
Originally Posted by flipnap: "true mirror"
Sounds like a cool idea. May need to try this.
Originally Posted by JeroenDStout: I was using that example to say how there would be a negative reaction to a man showing a more innocent reaction to hyper-violence but you sort-of show a negative reaction to a woman showing a more innocent reaction, too

Oh I don't know. I've played games in the past that were hyper-violent (not cartoony) using a man but it didn't really seem to matter. Though the huge graphics gap probably makes a big difference (SNES era). These characters while animated well didn't talk or react as much. I'm sure that makes a difference.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 04 April 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #71
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Oh I don't know. I've played games in the past that were hyper-violent (not cartoony) using a man but it didn't really seem to matter. Though the huge graphics gap probably makes a big difference (SNES era). These characters while animated well didn't talk or react as much. I'm sure that makes a difference.

I meant the character's innocent reaction to the violence; as opposed to Uncharted or Bioshock Infinite's protagonists.

Old 04 April 2013   #72
Ah I see.
Lara is young and inexperienced in this one isn't she? That would fit with the story. I'm playing through Far Cry 3 at the moment and Jason has similar reactions to being thrown into violence after a mundane life. First Person mode takes a bit away though because you only hear his reactions. But I find it interesting how the other npcs (his friends) react to him becoming a psycho. But to address your original point, it's hard to say if that was done intentionally just for the "you poor girl" effect (didn't realize that was a thing ) or just that Lara has been done to death and this is what they came up with to inject some freshness into the character. Maybe it's an experiment to see how gamers react to an avatar that isn't all powerful or rock solid all of the time.

I was thinking of "Out of this World" earlier when that character got killed in dozens of different ways. The first time the worms stung me or the floor teeth chomped my legs I remember getting a bit freaked out by it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #73
Originally Posted by Zarathustra: I've been working with researchers who are developing a cloth sim app for fashion design. My job has been giving them a better model. Anyway, there have been lots of "discussions" about measurements. Basically, the measurements they've been giving me have literally been inhuman, even just the size of the head. Two books that I've been able to reference to argue for a normal sized head have been Wilkinson's Forensic Facial Reconstruction and Face It which just came out from Focal Press. Those I needed because I needed to prove the head measurements I was using were human, regardless of ethnicity.

Anyway, the experience has been interesting in just how distorted the idea of not just beauty proportions are, but what's normal. There's a lot of delusional thinking out there which goes beyond just huge, gravity defying boobs.

Well if you are doing the job and it needs to look a certain way then that is what you use. That was the reason I mentioned medical models, there is no room for marketing or trends unless the product has to be made attractive and mostly that is for the general public or non doctors/researchers. Many people think that accurate anatomy is correct whereas it is only correct depending on the context. We are used to seeing retouched photos where proportions are altered for market reasons. I dont believe doctors and surgeons would accept commercial proportions over real ones because if the body is being mapped then cosmetics are irrelevant. Consumers though will accept nothing less than an altered representation.

You didnt say what the job was so there is no way to know who is right in your case. Correctly proportioned models look very odd in the wrong place.

Old 04 April 2013   #74
Somehow I knew this honest-to-goodness "research question" would eventually jump down a rabbit hole.

Old 04 April 2013   #75
Talking

Originally Posted by imashination: Shes gone to watch some amazing atheist feminism youtube videos.

The Amazing Atheist hates (radical) feminists, though :-p

Back on topic, the current version of DAZ|Studio includes Genesis, which is like a better-modeled MakeHuman. Unfortunately, getting the more realistic body options will require a few purchases.

Thread Closed share thread