OtaKing77077 presents: STAR WARS TIE Fighters

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
OtaKing77077 presents: STAR WARS TIE Fighters

Thought this looked interesting with flashes of style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-tBM2ZfncoU#!

Can't help thinking though this is the same guy who did that "Dr. Who" anime not so long ago.
Seems like a similar style.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Not bad at all

Old 04 April 2013   #3
I swear there was a thread or two for this a long time ago. Can't find it in a search because it's too far back. But it is the same guy who did the Dr. Who piece.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Back when Clone Wars first came out I was really hoping for something more like this! Today I love Clone Wars as is, though.

Looks like a good mi of 2D and cel shaded 3D with a good NPR system handling the lines. Some of the walks loot rotoscoped, not that I have anything against that. I love it in fact. I wouldn't mind seeing a series like this.

Must have been a LOT of work, though, that could have been invested in his own IP.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by teruchan: Must have been a LOT of work, though, that could have been invested in his own IP.

I get the feeling that he needs to be paired with a writer for that to happen. Even this TIE Fighter piece is really the SAME context played over and over again with different TIE pilots.

Only hints of context or personality. I think though if he managed to get his hands on a script and was "sold" on it, he could do something ground-breaking.. but both this and the "Dr. Who" production seem to demonstrate he's more a visual person than a storytelling person.

And he only seems to "come alive" for action sequences.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
You do realize that both those pieces were carefully crafted to follow the style and production choices of old school anime shows, where there's a lot of standing around talking and then all the animation budget goes into the action sequences, which still recycle as much material as possible. I really wouldn't use it to judge how he would create entirely new material.

Jeez I wish I could find the original thread for this thing, I swear I have had this conversation before.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I get the feeling that he needs to be paired with a writer for that to happen. Even this TIE Fighter piece is really the SAME context played over and over again with different TIE pilots.

Only hints of context or personality. I think though if he managed to get his hands on a script and was "sold" on it, he could do something ground-breaking.. but both this and the "Dr. Who" production seem to demonstrate he's more a visual person than a storytelling person.

And he only seems to "come alive" for action sequences.

From what I could research on the guy he seems to be quite young, a skilled artist, with not much interest in creating his own characters or IP. He works a 9 to 5 as an animator in a small studio. He himself said he gets in the morning, goes in and draws what they tell him everyday. He mostly does backgrounds, FX and bits of animation here and there.

Originally Posted by hypercube: You do realize that both those pieces were carefully crafted to follow the style and production choices of old school anime shows, where there's a lot of standing around talking and then all the animation budget goes into the action sequences, which still recycle as much material as possible. I really wouldn't use it to judge how he would create entirely new material.

Jeez I wish I could find the original thread for this thing, I swear I have had this conversation before.

I am not entirely sure that's the case. It seems his favorite show is Legend of Galactic Heroes, and old school anime is a huge influence on him. Every bit of art I could find from him, all his stills, paintings and anything else, look exactly like that. I think that is just the way he draws, likely because he grew up on this stuff and loves it so much.

Either way, I would love to see him do more of his own stuff. Based on his own blog posts, though, it doesn't seem likely.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by hypercube: Jeez I wish I could find the original thread for this thing, I swear I have had this conversation before.

Yeah, I was experiencing déjà vu too, so I looked it up, and sure enough, here it is: "Anime inspired animations by Paul Johnson (Star Wars/DR WHO)" from September 2012.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Isn't it weird how much conversation this guy has generated... and yet... he doesn't seem to be on this forum?

It's like he's some urban legend.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread