Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
amerie100
portfolio
USA

Compositing Advice

Hi All,

I'd like to find out how relevant it is to learn Katana for a compositor? Is it something that most compositors have also learnt alongside other packages like Nuke, Flame, Combustion and Flame? I understand the package was originally a 2D compositing software however, I understand now that it's mainly used for lighting.

Also, I'd like to find out if any compositors have diverged into matte painting. Is this a common now?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

It's better to concentrate on learning Nuke.

While Katana does have some basic compositing tools, it's mainly designed for lighting and lookdev.

At the moment, Katana is more for mid-to-large scale pipelines and requires a bit of integration and development in order to get the most out of it.

If you do get work at a company which is starting to use Katana and you need to use it - they are likely to train you up in using it as there aren't a huge amount of lighters who know how to use it at the moment.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
beaker
Meep!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Deke Kincaid
VR Pipeline Supervisor
DD
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to beaker Send a message via AIM to beaker Send a message via MSN to beaker Send a message via Yahoo to beaker
It really depends the job. Sony has a unified Lighter/Compositor role in the company. They have a lot more 2d nodes in their version then we do (we took many of them out except merges, 2d transforms and CC). Though the compositing in Katana is really not much different then Nuke or Shake and in the future we will probably make it even more like Nuke.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to find out if any compositors have diverged into matte painting. Is this a common now?
At many places Compositors do a lot of Matte painting work. You will have the "matte painter" is just doing 2d photoshop work and the Nuke artist breaking up the layers, putting things on geo and cards, adding a camera move and adding live action or other elements to make it come alive. Some places "Matte Painter Compositor" is the actual job title. Then others like ILM, viewpainter or digimatte is a department all to it's own and they do 2d, 3d, compositing is all one person per shot and they hand the compositor a finished element.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread