How to describe stylistic difference?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Whether you prefer the first or second image is down to taste.
I also find the first one exceedingly boring.

But the original question was "what style are they?". The first is accomplished enough to have one, however dead boring, the second one is so below par it doesn't.

It's got nothing to do with being overly technically focused (which I'm not), it's just that when you're at the level where palette, composition, perspective, texture, spaces and all that are clearly uncharted territory, your "style" is dictated by what you can clobber together, not by a conscious choice of what you're doing.
Something good might come out of it, but it's not effortless and tasteful choice when it does, it's happy coincidence

Yes, this.

I think people are missing the point here about the style thing. As you've said, the lower one is so lacking in ability that style isn't really part of the equation.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by plastic: Uhm the bottom one is the better of the two...

When did this become a beauty contest?

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by leif3d: Am I getting the impression we're doing the OP's homework?

More than anything, this.

Or these are "style choices" for his card game.

Last edited by Artbot : 04 April 2013 at 11:01 PM.

04 April 2013
can we have a 'like' button? I often enjoy reading posts but have nothing to add.

cardgame - harsh Artbot!

simply can't draw or paint - strong assumption there Leigh and potentially carelessly insulting!

I wouldn't be surprised if both images were made by the same artist - quickly.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Gingerhammer: simply can't draw or paint - strong assumption there Leigh and potentially carelessly insulting!

Sorry if it offends your sensibilities but I call it like I see it. I started a while thread a while back about this crazy celebration of mediocrity in the world today, and sadly you're demonstrating that exact phenomenon why praise work that is clearly subpar? Don't prop up ineptitude with platitude, artists grow through critique and sometimes that critique needs to be harsh.

04 April 2013
For anyone who's interested, the artist of the top image is Dave Palumbo.

http://davepalumbo.blogspot.com/200...s-of-alara.html

While I'm not a fan of big fan of fantasy artwork in general, his work has improved quite considerably in the last 5 years http://davepalumbo.blogspot.com.

I couldn't find the artist of the second image, I assume it's because the original is stuck to someone's fridge with alphabet magnets.

04 April 2013
Leigh: I'm not offended. I enjoy your harshness and strong opinions. You have a bee in your bonnet and it is narrowing your vision. That's fine. What you're going through will likely change and at the moment you add interesting feedback here. I pointed out you made an assumption (it could be correct or not but it could also cause upset when there is no need). It doesn't really matter to me whether you offend anybody or not but I do enjoy posts by people with strong opinions so please keep it up.

I'd like to point out that the world is a big place and there is a place for everyone. Particularly in the world of art there is a wide range of skills and often a place for all of it. The vast majority of people who take pleasure in art have no art education and perhaps no interest whatsoever in the opinions of those who do care and who are educated. If they love art based on little knowledge and skill then that's their business.

You attacked having very little information about your victim. By doing so there is a high risk of showing yourself up and/or insulting someone. Perhaps you care little about either potential? Borderline trollish behaviour.

The OP didn't ask whether either image displayed any evidence of skill and in the context of the question there is no need for skill level to enter the conversation. (although by swerving off topic a more interesting conversation has materialised )

Since I'm not great with words and you can't hear my tone nor see my face I'd like to point out that, Leigh, I think you you rock. I've no desire to insult. (although the temptation is there in the sense of taking pleasure from poking a stick at a wild cat).

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Gingerhammer: You have a bee in your bonnet and it is narrowing your vision. That's fine. What you're going through will likely change

Excuse me? That's pretty condescending, not to mention assumptive considering you don't really know me from a bar of soap. I post strong critiques because that's how I learned to develop as an artist myself. I'm 33 years old so I'm hardly some wild kid going through a phase.

Quote: I'd like to point out that the world is a big place and there is a place for everyone. Particularly in the world of art there is a wide range of skills and often a place for all of it. The vast majority of people who take pleasure in art have no art education and perhaps no interest whatsoever in the opinions of those who do care and who are educated. If they love art based on little knowledge and skill then that's their business.

I see a huge difference between the (thankfully) huge variety of styles in the artworld, and having a wide variety of skill levels. Different styles add to art as a whole and make it a richer and more diverse world. Different skill levels though? That doesn't add anything other than diluting the signal with noise.

Suggesting that people shouldn't have to care about skill is not good for society. It's what I mentioned in my previous post about the acceptance and even praise of mediocrity that's so endemic in society today. It's because of outlooks like yours that people boldly go onto The X Factor and make absolutely fools of themselves because it turns out their abilities which were praised by their friends and family were actually rubbish.

Encouraging people to be mediocre is not good. Telling everyone they're special does more harm than good. I'm not saying that people should be banned from drawing or painting if they're not good at it, but why should that mean that everything should be praised too, regardless of whether it's any good or not?

Quote: You attacked having very little information about your victim. By doing so there is a high risk of showing yourself up and/or insulting someone. Perhaps you care little about either potential? Borderline trollish behaviour.

I "attacked" a "victim"? What, by saying that the image appears to have been done by someone who can't draw or paint? How is that an attack? It's an opinion. If I'd posted saying "JESUS CHRIST WHAT A PIECE OF GODAWFUL SHIT, WHOEVER PAINTED THAT IS A TALENTLESS MORON WHO SHOULD GO KILL THEMSELVES" (in allcaps like that), then your response here would be justified, because that would be borderline trollish behaviour. But that's not what I posted at all.

Furthermore, why are you appointing yourself the position of a crusader to defend an unknown artist? The person who painted that image isn't even here. Am I never to express a negative opinion about any piece of work then or draw any conclusion about their skill level from their work? Have you truly never looked at a piece of art and said it was bad?

There's a place for constructive criticism, but this isn't it, because this isn't a WIP forum.

Quote: The OP didn't ask whether either image displayed any evidence of skill and in the context of the question there is no need for skill level to enter the conversation.

Well actually there is a need, and it's been mentioned by both myself and The_Jaco. The point being that the second image is so lacking in skill that style isn't a factor. If a toddler roughly dabs paint all over a canvas, we don't call it impressionism, because when a person is unskilled, there is no intentional stylistic motivation. Kinda like how Picasso was a good traditional artist before he went off and started doing really abstract work, style is a conscious choice, not an accident arising from a lack of skill. Picasso is a great example of this - he mastered traditional form before consciously choosing to break all the rules and develop a new and exciting abstract style. Similarly, there are numerous web comics and TV shows that intentionally choose simplicity and sometimes even poor quality as a stylistic choice - South Park is a good example of this. It exploits bad quality imagery for comedic effect. But this is an intentional stylistic choice. Contrast this with someone like Tracey Emin who draws badly not because she's trying to develop a style, but because she can't draw. Unfortunately the art world suffers a lot from The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome which is why her work ends up in galleries.

04 April 2013
Leigh, sorry I haven't read most of that yet but I will. I haven't appointed myself anything, just passed on some thoughts in response to some posts. My assumptions about you were intended to make a point about assumptions. I don't know anything about you so have no right to say such things. Sorry, I was poking the wildcat with a stick partly for some mild entertainment. I don't generally have any strong views because in my experience the world is a mixed bag and people can argue till their faces are blue and I'm sure, in this case, we could go on and on. Today I'm playing minecraft with my eldest son and having a peek on here whilst having a tea-break.

Have a good day!

04 April 2013
Funny I kinda see these two images as potentially related to the same project.

The bottom one looks like a it could be a quick 'mock-up' done say by a director or a client at the beginning of a project. Functional skills but not great 'art'.

The top looks like an evolution of that project - rendering the concept more realistically and re-composed after a few major revisions, time of day, removal of mountains, composition well along into same project. I do agree the composition has now gotten 'boring' unless it serves a function ie. like a book illustration that needs to make room for text or some such...

I am not certain 'style' is really appropriate distinction. But I am simply having fun with this and pulling stuff out of my ass well.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Gingerhammer: cardgame - harsh Artbot!

Why is this harsh? The OP has 4 posts, 3 of which are asking about art styles for his card game. I just made a comment that it might be related to that.

Originally Posted by AJ: I couldn't find the artist of the second image, I assume it's because the original is stuck to someone's fridge with alphabet magnets.

Now that's harsh!

FWIW, I find the first image to be a step above "okay." As for the bottom one, it looks like they were trying to approximate some kind of simplistic graphic style to compensate for the lack of deeper art skills.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: I couldn't find the artist of the second image, I assume it's because the original is stuck to someone's fridge with alphabet magnets.

Please, AJ, do run for whatever position for whatever next elections I'll have voting power in.

04 April 2013
My opinion on the photos as follows:

The top one looks good and professional, but also bland.
The bottom one looks like a five-year old's failed first attempt at Mario Paint.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Gingerhammer: You have a bee in your bonnet and it is narrowing your vision. That's fine. What you're going through will likely change

Originally Posted by leigh: Excuse me? That's pretty condescending, not to mention assumptive considering you don't really know me from a bar of soap. I post strong critiques because that's how I learned to develop as an artist myself. I'm 33 years old so I'm hardly some wild kid going through a phase.

Relax. There's no way a bee in any bonnet can narrow anyone's vision.

04 April 2013
I dunno...

That sure could narrow vision... just add bees...

And Leigh - you're a wild kid. It's all perspective and 'tude From me, that's a compliment.

As for the OP:
"Words to describe styles" (not the images themselves)

Pic 1: realistic (whether they accomplish it or not, is moot), lush & vibrant (choice of color palate), refined (goal, to what degree it's accomplished is subjective)

Pic 2: more abstract, darker (landscape looks dead - again, choice of palate), unrefined

I won't get into which image I like more - unless that's also what's being asked. All you're getting is my opinions, and one's artistic ability is not necessarily related to their ability to view and appraise/critique art. Plus, while I respect Picasso, I love his earlier realistic work, and despise abstract impressionism.

Back on the rails, folks

Thread Closed share thread