Elysium Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by sk3d: Cant fault new content though. D9 proved this again and I really enjoyed it for what it was. It was also just a relief to get some decent SA accents on screen, the ones before like Di Caprio in Blood Diamond are actually painful to listen to.

Apparently its one of the most difficult accents to master. DiCaprio does a decent job, except when he tries to use slang-but I hate South African slang when South Africans use it.

Matt Damon also does a pretty good accent, and I've heard Ben Affleck do one aswell.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Pyke: Phenomenal. I'm completely in love with Blomkamp's style.

2 of the most original SciFi treatments this year are based on completely original stories created by the directors (Oblvion, and Elysium).

Dig that style, too.

Nah, not original. The story setting of Elysium so obviously from the manga film "Battle angel alita". There is a big city spaceship above the sky where the most valuable people live and down on the devastated earth remains the scum. And a boy desperately illegaly wants to go up.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Fahrija: Dig that style, too.

Nah, not original. The story setting of Elysium so obviously from the manga film "Battle angel alita". There is a big city spaceship above the sky where the most valuable people live and down on the devastated earth remains the scum. And a boy desperately illegaly wants to go up.

That basic story has been done to death. I would hardly attribute it exclusively to Gunnm. You can find stories and myths going back two thousand years where there is always some beautiful place for the happy people and the riffraff live, die and struggle out in the desert. (but they at least have true freedom) Many manga besides Gunnm have played on that theme.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: That basic story has been done to death. I would hardly attribute it exclusively to Gunnm. You can find stories and myths going back two thousand years where there is always some beautiful place for the happy people and the riffraff live, die and struggle out in the desert. (but they at least have true freedom) Many manga besides Gunnm have played on that theme.

The scale has been upped this time as the gap between rich and poor has increased so much. I couldn't think of a better way to illustrate the awful truth. How much is a house on Elysium, is it 100million or something?

04 April 2013
$250 million for a house on Elysium, according to one of the websites.

At any rate, I think the exoskeleton that Damon wears looks really unrealistic/clunky. I like that it's a bit retro/archaic (considering that it's supposed to be 2154... and before you say that it's 'cobbled together out of junk parts', Copley wears a similar one in the film and he's working for Elysium security)... but that doesn't have a great aesthetic to me and I find the profile just looks really 'meh'.

I just think that 150 years from now, suits like that will be biologically integrated, or a skin-tight nanotech styled suit worn under your clothes. Or perhaps even a topical spray that you put directly on your skin. That hardware? Bolted onto him? I don't buy it.

At any rate, I'm really excited for this film. Moreover, I'm really thrilled that scifi seems to have returned for a while. I hope they all really perform well at the box office so that:
1) studios make more and
2) there are more employment opportunities for the artists

And I have zero problem with directors writing their own scripts, as long as they've bothered to learn how to do it, even better if they have a real understanding of VFX.

"Impossible is nothing."

04 April 2013
I love the exoskeleton he wears. Reading the robocop thread, people were complaining that the suit looked too organic and 'man in a suit'...now it's that an augmentation looks too mechanical.

I read that Kawasaki was involved in the design of the exo suit, based on current military technology and projected technology-and I think it shows. Just looking at the design, you can see how it works, without the need for treknobabble and horrid exposition. True, in an actual product it would probably be more refined-but that's not Blomkamps style...he doesn't want to see the bodywork of a car-he wants to see the engine.

One things for sure-it's a unique take on something that could have very easily been a generic 'future SciFi trope'.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Fahrija: Dig that style, too.

As has been said, the setting is hardly unique-but that's my point. If he was making a Battle Angel' movie, it would be years trying to attain the rights. It would probably be a script that's gets the life doctored out of it through 50 rewrites, eventually becoming muddy, and he would be limited visually but what he could do. Actor casting would be criticized, and instead of casting the best actor for the role, fan pressure, and source material would influence one of the most-if not the most-important aspects of filmmaking,

So instead of doing that, why not make original content inspired by something? I loved The Matrix, because it was inspired by GITS. I would probably hate a live action GITS movie, because A) there is already a GITS movie, which is awesome, and B)it's something I've seen already. But take the idea, put a new spin on it, and turn it into something new...THATS exciting.

RAMA would be an awesome series of films-but so would a film inspired by it-but new story, and new characters that aren't constrained by the original source. Movies do things that novels can't, and novels do things that movies can't-I wish filmmakers would embrace that more.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by AJE: At any rate, I think the exoskeleton that Damon wears looks really unrealistic/clunky. I like that it's a bit retro/archaic (considering that it's supposed to be 2154... and before you say that it's 'cobbled together out of junk parts', Copley wears a similar one in the film and he's working for Elysium security)... but that doesn't have a great aesthetic to me and I find the profile just looks really 'meh'.

I just think that 150 years from now, suits like that will be biologically integrated, or a skin-tight nanotech styled suit worn under your clothes. Or perhaps even a topical spray that you put directly on your skin. That hardware? Bolted onto him? I don't buy it.

At any rate, I'm really excited for this film......

Honestly, I hadn't even noticed this. But that's the problem with adapting any sci-fi to the screen: visually representing very complex ideas and objects for a (mostly) lay audience. This looks like a choice they made because Blomkamp likes to show the mechanical workings of things (and roof antennas on buildings, for some reason) and - I'm not kidding here - Matt Damon in minimal clothes, looking greasy and sweaty. Hey, gotta aim for every customer you can get when you spend this kind of cash.

If they'd used some kind of skin-tight nano-suit, he would look like Superman and it would be ridiculous. More realistic to the time period, perhaps, but still ridiculous. But I bought this low-tech, junk shop approach without even thinking about it.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by sk3d: the ones before like Di Caprio in Blood Diamond are actually painful to listen to.

Really? I think his accent in a Blood Diamond was pretty much spot-on.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: If they'd used some kind of skin-tight nano-suit, he would look like Superman and it would be ridiculous. More realistic to the time period, perhaps, but still ridiculous. But I bought this low-tech, junk shop approach without even thinking about it.

You bought it without thinking about it because it's not science fiction, it's science fact:http://www.army-technology.com/feat...tic-exoskeleton

Do we use any machinery from 1860? Why would we be using today's tech in 2154?

I get that it may be design aesthetic, which is fine. I like the nuts and bolts of things too, but this on e just bothers me for some reason. As a scifi fan and futurist, if I can't buy the world that they build for the story, how can I buy the story?

I REALLY want to like this though, so I'm gonna try.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Pyke: As has been said, the setting is hardly unique-but that's my point. If he was making a Battle Angel' movie, it would be years trying to attain the rights. It would probably be a script that's gets the life doctored out of it through 50 rewrites, eventually becoming muddy, and he would be limited visually but what he could do. Actor casting would be criticized, and instead of casting the best actor for the role, fan pressure, and source material would influence one of the most-if not the most-important aspects of filmmaking,

That didn't seem to stop The Last Airbender. ;-)

I'm kidding of course. I totally agree. I don't want to see a live action GITS, Akira or Ninja Scroll, especially done by Hollywood. I would much rather they do a cool, epic, sic-fi, with bikes, inspired by Akira.

Originally Posted by Pyke: RAMA would be an awesome series of films-but so would a film inspired by it-but new story, and new characters that aren't constrained by the original source. Movies do things that novels can't, and novels do things that movies can't-I wish filmmakers would embrace that more.

Perfect example is The DaVinci Code. In the novel they can have the teacher running around doing so many things, including talking, without ever revealing who he is.

Originally Posted by Pixanaut: Do we use any machinery from 1860? Why would we be using today's tech in 2154?

Maybe not the exact machinery, but trains, motorcycles, house phones and cars haven't exactly changed all that much, certainly not as much as a sic-fi fan would like.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

04 April 2013
Yay, a trailer, finally!

Originally Posted by Pixanaut: Do we use any machinery from 1860? Why would we be using today's tech in 2154?

Oh, Matt is doin much harder: It seems he uses a good old soviet AK-47 to fight year 2154 combat robots (Trailer around 1:45+).
A laser pointer, duct tape and other year 2000 adds cant hide that fact, hehe..

Also, the fictional uber-giant super structure in space, as home just for the rich and chilled people, would fit better or feel more "realistic", if the plot would takes place in a time somewhere past year 2300..

But iŽll go into the cinema nevertheless - just for the joy of (i bet) good VFX and Sci-Fi!

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: Maybe not the exact machinery, but trains, motorcycles, house phones and cars haven't exactly changed all that much, certainly not as much as a sic-fi fan would like.

Riding in an 1860s train is a novelty at this point (and has been for many years), while motorcycles came about after 1860, as did house phones and (arguably) cars. Hell, even the first electric toaster didn't show up until the 1890s.

For small things, landline phones (which most of the modern world doesn't use anymore, most are digital) and toasters, which still get plenty of use, sure... but for a species that went from their first 'heavier than air' powered flight to landing on the moon in less than 70 years, I expect that today's exo-skeleton technology will be obsolete within the next 50, especially when you consider that technological development is advancing at an increasing rate.

I think it's a bit of a catch-22 for this film in particular. Had they reduced their timeline and set it only 50 years from now, where I might be able to buy into the exo-skeleton as it's shown, I wouldn't have believed that Elysium itself would exist. The two technologies seem out of step with each other. It's incongruent design that is affecting my 'suspension of disbelief'.

On another note, I've cruised through some of the website stuff and came across the robot images... I gotta say, I like the design of Tetra Vaal's robot a lot more than what I'm seeing here (except maybe for Tetra Vaal's 'ear' antennas). Between these two design elements, I'm a little concerned.

The ships look somewhat decent.

Last edited by Pixanaut : 04 April 2013 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

04 April 2013
For the most part, I agree with you, Pixanaut. But if I refused to let myself get involved in a sci-fi story because the tech seemed implausible or not in line with the depicted time, I'd never watch any sci-fi. Pretty much everything in that trailer is doable right now, given the money and will to do it. At least it's a more realistic timeline than, say, Blade Runner, where we had off-world colonies and hover cars just 45 years from the film's release.

As for the other inventions, I agree with Teruchan that we use "old" inventions all the time. They are just updated iterations or have more extensive infrastructure or whatever. The need to use understandable tech is what drives the design of films like this more than any attempt at realistic extrapolations of future technology. The sad truth is, the world of 150 years in the future will be nothing like we predict, and what is there would be very hard to communicate to an audience who only wants their ten dollars worth of entertainment on a Friday night.

04 April 2013
Yes, I agree that we use updated versions of old inventions all the time, but in the time of the film, that exo-skeleton would be akin to flying the Wright Flyer into a dogfight with fighters circa 2060. It's ridiculous.

At any rate, I don't want to hijack this thread (more than we already have). I am honestly really stoked by the resurgence of scifi. And that overrides any complaints that I might yammer on about.

Thread Closed share thread