Elysium Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by thethule: You say that, but he hasnt done that much...how do yo know he can do much better? I suppose you probably know him personally, all you South Africans know each other right?

I guess you'll be surprised then to know that I certainly have met the guy - he used to work at a studio I worked at too. He'd gone by the time I worked there but visited us a number of times, so I've seen a lot of his work from when he was younger. He's been making short films since he was a teenager, and he's immensely talented.

Quote: I loved D9 by the way. other than the open racism towards other African countries in there, it was very well directed and acted.

I honestly don't understand why people loved that film so much. I thought the first 20 minutes or so was really interesting with its satire of racism and xenophobia, but then it just turned into a boring chase flick. I believe that if Blomkamp had had his way creatively, the satirical vein would have run throughout the film instead of just opening it before turning into an unremarkable Hollywood film. I think that if more trust is given to him as a director and storyteller, his talent will really blossom and his satirical style (which has always been a trademark of his) will shine through more consistently.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I guess you'll be surprised then to know that I certainly have met the guy - he used to work at a studio I worked at too. He'd gone by the time I worked there but visited us a number of times, so I've seen a lot of his work from when he was younger. He's been making short films since he was a teenager, and he's immensely talented.

Thats cool to know. By the way, i was joking, assuming you probably got that all the time.."Oh you are from SA? Do you know xxx?"

I agree he's very talented. I remember watching Alive in Jo'Berg when it came out in the early 2000's and being blown away.

D9 might have been a chase film at heart, but im not sure that distracted from the fact, it looked great, Sharlto was amazing and it was well filmed.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: I guess the problem with a lot of them at this point is probably that they would run into John Carter syndrome, where they are the grandfather of so many other works since, that the old story ends up sounding derivative and unoriginal to the general public.

Agreed. But I'd prefer to to see modern projects with original ideas (and perhaps "borrowing" some of the cooler ideas from classic books or art) than direct adaptations of those books. Most of those stories feel dated and they generally carry too much baggage with fans to please everyone, and movie studios are not interested in catering to "by the book" fanboys.

Also, the comments around the web of "Meh, this looks just like Mass Effect" makes me want to punch those people in the throat. This is exactly what you are talking about, the influences coming full circle, but sadly many viewers are too ignorant (or too young) to see it.

Elysium looks like a nice mash-up of a lot of sci-fi elements that haven't really been done at that level yet, so I'm intrigued. Yes, the story looks old (poor guy - let's call him "Neo" - rises up to challenge rich aristocracy/ruling class/overlords), but if the story's solid and action is good, it could be a winner.

And yeah, D9 is waaay over-rated. I like Blomkamp, but that story was a cool Twilight Zone episode at best.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by thethule: You say that, but he hasnt done that much...how do yo know he can do much better? I suppose you probably know him personally, all you South Africans know each other right?

I loved D9 by the way. other than the open racism towards other African countries in there, it was very well directed and acted.

I know a guy who went to school with him, in SA, and in Vancouver. Does that count? And Leigh knows Sharlto Copley. And I used to live upstairs from a guy who knew Leigh's sister. So I suppose us saffers are more connected than people know.

What open racism towards other African countries?

Last edited by Pyke : 04 April 2013 at 05:55 PM.

04 April 2013
Here's the English version of the trailer-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBtePb-dGY

04 April 2013
I didn't care much for District 9 aside from the amazing alien mech design at the end. Elysium looks pretty awesome from the trailer though can't wait to see it.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by thethule: Didnt they do so preliminary work on Rama about 10 years ago? I remember being excited by it

Yeah, Morgan Freeman was working on an adaption (as producer and he wanted to play Comander Norton), David Fincher was supposed to direct and Moebius did the designs. It's been in development hell from the beginning, the biggest problem was (as far as i remember) getting the screenplay right. I guess they had to add some action & explosions somewhere :-/ Haven't seen any news for 3 years or so. Too sad.

Childhood's End was in production too, but haven't herad anything since the first anouncement.

But if this years SF movies deliver, I can wait for them Clarke-Adaptions. Although these movies turn out worse then hoped for in most cases(look at prometheus) it is nice to see that it seems to be possible to do original SF again in hollywood. I would rather see more slightly flawed but serious SF movies then any of those action/SF thingies like Transformers or GI Joe or the 357th comic book adaption. So I am really exited about Elysium, Gravity and Enders Game. Add Star Trek, Pacific Rim and maybe even the new Tom Cruise vehicle, and you have a nice movie year SF wise, maybe the best since ages.

Anyone found a HD version of the trailer?

ps: Just stumbled about some interesting news on aintitcool: Ringworld and Childhood's End are beeing developedby SyFy into mini series
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61912

Last edited by christianS : 04 April 2013 at 09:16 PM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Pyke:
What open racism towards other African countries?

Off the top of my head, the way that Nigerians are portrayed. there was something else, but i cant remember it to be honest

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Yes, the story looks old (poor guy - let's call him "Neo" - rises up to challenge rich aristocracy/ruling class/overlords)...

Neo was a seemingly successful software developer. "You don't think the rules apply to you...", his boss said. I am guessing he must have been pretty hot stuff in that company to receive that kind of treatment. (Considering the fact that he also writes stuff on the side people are crazy for) I am guessing he was not poor.

This seems more like Upside Down, the movie with Kirsten Dunst, but with a big VFX action twist.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: Neo was a seemingly successful software developer. "You don't think the rules apply to you...", his boss said. I am guessing he must have been pretty hot stuff in that company to receive that kind of treatment. (Considering the fact that he also writes stuff on the side people are crazy for) I am guessing he was not poor.

This seems more like Upside Down, the movie with Kirsten Dunst, but with a big VFX action twist.

No... it looks more like if Agent 47 from the Hitman games wore Whiplash's costume and stepped into a re-write of Zardoz or In Time but with Oblivion's set designer.

Oh and between Elysium and Oblivion's Sky Tower... I'd rather live in Elysium's resort world.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by thethule: Off the top of my head, the way that Nigerians are portrayed. there was something else, but i cant remember it to be honest

So because the bad guy was a Nigerian, its a movie with racist undertones to Nigerians? Was Die Hard racist towards Germans?

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Pyke: I know a guy who went to school with him, in SA, and in Vancouver. Does that count? And Leigh knows Sharlto Copley. And I used to live upstairs from a guy who knew Leigh's sister. So I suppose us saffers are more connected than people know.

Wierd, I have found this too. The Saffer cg community is very small and we are often aware of each other. Leigh was my lecturer in collage and found my work when I was doing random scetches on a illustration site long ago. I have also me Sharlto, but just on the town when out for drinks...random, but places like Cape Town are very small and cliquey.

On the subject of converting sci fi novels to films, I think it guarantees an audience to some extent and can be easier to make a film from with that reference. I would love to see Speaker for the Dead or one of Banks's culture storys on the big screen (Player of games). Just as a fanboy, nothing more I guess.
Cant fault new content though. D9 proved this again and I really enjoyed it for what it was. It was also just a relief to get some decent SA accents on screen, the ones before like Di Caprio in Blood Diamond are actually painful to listen to.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Also, the comments around the web of "Meh, this looks just like Mass Effect"

Yeah sorry about that link, it's hard to believe how ill-informed they are with videogames as their only sphere of reference.

Hmmm, Rama is cool though inevitably the second book would be made as a film and freak out all the people (including me) who got used to the peaceful vibe and wanted more of that. Of all the books with habitats, I'd be torn between Ringworld, Look to Winward and the Night's Dawn Trilogy. Each one has its fair share of ultra cool visual punch that could elevate a film to classic status.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I honestly don't understand why people loved that film so much.
I'm sure you've said before that you worked with/for Sharlto Copley before his acting career took off and you weren't exactly his number one fan. Do you think this could have influenced your opinion on District 9 at all?

I'm not saying you should love it - I think your criticism of it turning into a generic chase film is completely valid, I'm just curious because I know it would definitely affect my enjoyment of a film if I personally knew/disliked the lead actor.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: I'm sure you've said before that you worked with/for Sharlto Copley before his acting career took off and you weren't exactly his number one fan. Do you think this could have influenced your opinion on District 9 at all?

Not really, no. You're right that I don't like Sharlto as a person, but I'm a big fan of Blomkamp, I love his style and that dispelled my negative feelings about Sharlto, as a performer that is. I don't find Sharlto particularly funny at all, but I enjoyed the first bit of the film where he was banging on alien's doors. The script and writing during those bits was good enough for me to put aside my personal dislike of the guy.

Thread Closed share thread