Elysium Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Phenomenal. I'm completely in love with Blomkamp's style.

But I dont understand this obsession people have with using existing franchises as bases for movies.

2 of the most original SciFi treatments this year are based on completely original stories created by the directors (Oblvion, and Elysium).

3 of the most successful films of the past few years were also based on completely original stories created by the directors (District 9, Avatar, and Inception).

Stop haggling for the rights to 30 year old Science Fiction concepts! Use that money in the preproduction of awesome ORIGINAL CONTENT. For shits sake, these people are FILM DIRECTORS. They are PAID to be creative. And honestly, I think that directors that have control over their original content will create a BETTER MOVIE because its their own investment-their own ideas. They will care more, and not be bound by outraged nerdgasms and fanboys-not be too scared to change things.

04 April 2013
Well, when you talk about things like the books in question here, it's hard not to wish for something you might have loved so much (as a book) to become a fully realized visual project as well. Re-evoking the feelings of the early read and all.

I think there's space for both.
There are some books I'd kill to see movied-up, even if potentially re-envisioned (some I'd actually want to be). I'm of course just as open to see Blomkamp's original work on the screen, and I will when this is out

04 April 2013
Yes, make no mistake, I am immensely happy that there are entirely original movies coming out this year inspired by classic sci-fi instead of merely translating it. I hope they do well and encourage more of this.

At the same time there are existing stories that would also make great movies, that have been passed over for a long time, and would still be interesting and exciting to new audiences, and not another sequel or prequel.

A lot of what has kept these things from being unfilmable were budgets and/or technology, and many of them would definitely be possible now, at even less-than-blockbuster level budgets.

I guess the problem with a lot of them at this point is probably that they would run into John Carter syndrome, where they are the grandfather of so many other works since, that the old story ends up sounding derivative and unoriginal to the general public.

04 April 2013
District 9 reminded me of Alien Nation and Enemy Mine and Architects of Fear thrown in so it didnt feel all that original to me. The characters werent appealing enough to stand out as interesting in their own right.

I found Inception was incredibly weak story wise. I liked the buildings folding on itself sequence but for a film about the dream world it was very conservative in imagination and it amazes me that it is praised the way it is when the characters were so dull.

At least with Avatar one can see how the visual experience would be novel enough to draw in audiences-I didnt find the story and characters interesting and saw it on a small tv but the visuals were very impressive. District 9 came out when the competition was Transformers and Gi Joe. Its minimal approach was refreshing.

Inception I cant understand the praise at all.

At one point I might see a movie for effects or a thrill ride but I would much rather see professional screenwriters do the scripts like in the old days then directors do double duty.
Most of the movies I really like did not have the director writing the script, or at least not solo.
If a screenwriter said they were going to do the fx for the movie or star in it, many people would laugh at the audacity.
But if a director or actor or anyone else decides to take up screenwriting suddenly its something anyone can do and people dont blink about it.
Anyone can write, but good writing is a professional skill. Or at least it used to be.

04 April 2013
OK, that looks awesome

04 April 2013
From all the recent scifis that will come I look most forward to Star Trek and Elysium. Oblivion and After Earth are kinda meh for me. But that has to do with Tom Cruise and Will Smith.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: From all the recent scifis that will come I look most forward to Star Trek and Elysium. Oblivion and After Earth are kinda meh for me. But that has to do with Tom Cruise and Will Smith.

I agree. The thing making Oblivion very "meh" for me is Tom. He should have stopped making films after Magnolia. He will never be better and frankly im sick of seeing him play the same role in every sci fi film

04 April 2013
I'm looking forward to see more scifi movies, but almost all of then follow the same plot right now. I mean, rich guys exploit poor guys. I know this kind of plot has an actual meaning, but still there is more scifi sub genres that somebody should explore.

Oblivion bye, bye, Elysium wins.

04 April 2013
Cool trailer, and great designs and VFX work. I just hope this is better than District 9, which I found incredibly disappointing and overrated. Blomkamp can do so much better than what he did with that, so I'm hoping Elysium will be a chance for him to shine.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: (with the due exception of Game of Thrones, some mindblowing production design there).

Off, but I agree, the new season has some utterly amazing imagery in the first two episodes. Can't wait to see some of the more monumental and memorable scenes.

As for Elysium, I'm also getting a little Neuromancer vibe here, which is good.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Pyke: Stop haggling for the rights to 30 year old Science Fiction concepts! Use that money in the preproduction of awesome ORIGINAL CONTENT.

Principally I agree.

But I'd really like to see Forever War, Neuromancer, and maybe even Foundation, on the big screen.
Yeah I know Asimov is too hard to adapt, but the other two examples would make for some pretty good movies.

04 April 2013
+Rendezvous with Rama

04 April 2013
+ Rendevouz with Rama (and use the other 3 books for a TV show)
+ Childhood's End

But I guess this will never happen

Trailer looks great, for me this is also the most interesting movie this year together with The Wrath of Sherlock

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by christianS: + Rendevouz with Rama (and use the other 3 books for a TV show)
+ Childhood's End

But I guess this will never happen

Trailer looks great, for me this is also the most interesting movie this year together with The Wrath of Sherlock

Didnt they do so preliminary work on Rama about 10 years ago? I remember being excited by it

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: Blomkamp can do so much better than what he did with that, so I'm hoping Elysium will be a chance for him to shine.

You say that, but he hasnt done that much...how do yo know he can do much better? I suppose you probably know him personally, all you South Africans know each other right?

I loved D9 by the way. other than the open racism towards other African countries in there, it was very well directed and acted.

Thread Closed share thread