Elysium Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Elysium Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzilnRyMWE8

This looks utterly phenomenal. And Syd Mead at his absolute best.

WOW!

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Looks like very similar themes and even the "one person becomes special and badass stuff happens" plot, but I don't care, it looks like it will be friggin' AMAZING.

Seeing the ring colony makes me wish they would do a proper adaptation of Ringworld or even the Paratwa Trilogy. Halo has never done it for me for visualizing that sort of thing. BSG and even back to Babylon 5 did as well as they could, but this is a whole other level.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Indeed it is.

And here's a much better quality vid through this link:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/04/f...r-hits-the-web/

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by hypercube: Seeing the ring colony makes me wish they would do a proper adaptation of Ringworld or even the Paratwa Trilogy. Halo has never done it for me for visualizing that sort of thing. BSG and even back to Babylon 5 did as well as they could, but this is a whole other level.

Hell yeah! I loved Ringworld so much as a teenager. The sense of scale in that book is just outrageous. Niven still does it for me--the guy had some amazingly cool ideas.

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Looks like he finally got his realistic humanoid robot soldier in a movie. Wasn't it over ten years ago he first did that in one of his shorts?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by hypercube: Seeing the ring colony makes me wish they would do a proper adaptation of Ringworld or even the Paratwa Trilogy. Halo has never done it for me for visualizing that sort of thing. BSG and even back to Babylon 5 did as well as they could, but this is a whole other level.

Technically a Ringworld would look more like Halo than this because the rim walls are MUCH further away (like planetary distances) and proportionally very low. A ribbon in space. From a design perspective, you get to see more of the cool stuff in every shot when it's a smaller habitat like this one. Some of those shots there really feel like you're walking into a Mead painting. His books always showed visions of a perfect future, and here we have the best embodiment yet of his natural style in one awesome environment and used in context to sharp, dramatic effect.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Nice effects but it looks too familiar. Not enough there to make me interested. Better than the teaser trailer though.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Looks amazing. Cannot wait for this.

Personal rant mode ON: Sad it has to be hosted on Piss-modo, though. Hopefully a better quality version will be available soon, and with less idiotic comments.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
1080p

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Originally Posted by ienrdna: 1080p

Hmm, that 1080p looks a lot like 360p.

720p

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Wow, one more movie to really look forward to. This happens so rarely lately.

I'm also a big fan of Jodie Foster movies, so definitely a must-see here.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: Technically a Ringworld would look more like Halo than this because the rim walls are MUCH further away (like planetary distances) and proportionally very low. A ribbon in space. From a design perspective, you get to see more of the cool stuff in every shot when it's a smaller habitat like this one.

True, and actually the scale of Ringworld makes it even more problematic..a MILLION miles wide is hard to even wrap your head around, let alone illustrate. There's a lot of fantastical features that would be more interesting to see done right though, like the edges, damaged areas, etc.

Maybe something like RAMA would be a better match to this kind of environment. Too bad that seems to be endlessly stuck in rights issues.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Loving it, and looking forward to every minute of it. I have high expectations.

Matt Damon as usual sports his mono-expressive face, but unlike some other unbearable and overrated actors with the same problem (hi James Franco), for some reason he doesn't annoy me at all when he's on screen. Possibly I let myself be conditioned by his reputation as a genuinely nice guy on set.

I'll definitely watch it first week out.

Old 04 April 2013   #14
I guess Sci-Fi is really popular these days...

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Of course it is, these days we can show some of the ages old, mind blowing visions that could never be shown before. Sci-fi stands up much better than high fantasy or medival fantasy on the big screen IMO (with the due exception of Game of Thrones, some mindblowing production design there).

There's very little sci-fi I can stomach reading, it's often overly clever, or self indulgent, frequently genre fan service, but sci-fi movies are great escapism, while for fantasy it's the other way around. For me, at least.

Thread Closed share thread