Which is the most practical way to integrate 2D and 3D?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Smile Which is the most practical way to integrate 2D and 3D?

Time ago it was said that the use of 2D, it was proper for the organics, for those things that have life, and that the use of 3D was parallel to its rigidity as digital program. However the elapsed time and different tools begin to appear and getting artists achieve the opposite with these techniques, the 3D becoming more human, and more mechanical to 2D. Nevertheless, why did you think that is still built using 2D for the things that have life, and 3D mechanical things?

Doing some fun conversation
Salutes.

P.S: I speak spanish, so... please sorry for any grammar issues.
P.S: Highly recommend to read Tina O'Hailey's "Hybrid Animation" book.

04 April 2013
The foundry nuke.

Use nuke to composite 2d and 3d.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by gauranga108: The foundry nuke.

Use nuke to composite 2d and 3d.

Indeed, as you say, with Nuke it's possible to achieve stunning looks. There are tons of ways to make both techniques look good. But, why did you think that is still built using 2D for the things that have life, and 3D mechanical things?

I believe, in a majority of the industry that uses 2D and 3D the way was described above, in order to get the cheapper-best result. If we're making some scifi mecha series with the lowest money, probably the most functional way to make it, would be by using 3D on those mechs and any other thing in 2D. By doing good choices in the integration process, we could end up with some really strong looks. (ex. majority of animes, The Simpsons, Futurama, Lion King, Titan A.E., Atlantis, and more)
But, by looking at the same theme with a more artistic perspective, we could see tons of animations that don't use the 2D and 3D techniques the way I said. Why could that be?
Assumming what I've said is the most practical way. (ex. Metamorphosis, Colorful, Oban-Star Racer, Eclipse, Asura, Paperman, etc)

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread