Harvard Business Review's tips for dealing with creative people, and it's appalling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity

A janitor provides service. Pre-production is more creative. Production is more interpretation, but is still more creative than janitors. Creative does not equal innovating, as innovation is creating something unique, whereas creativity also can be based solely on plagiarism.

The final output of janitor is clean stuff, it's nothing new. A concept design is something quite unique, a final unique product, which can be distinguished from other concept design. You can't distinguish one clean plate from another.
Innovators are geniuses, are rare, and not any rules apply to them. So I doubt he spoke about them. Nikola Tesla, wouldn't you mind getting less? What??? Living half a life in the most prestigious hotel? Noo, only this 2 meters room please.

04 April 2013
I don't see how this is a problem. If anything, it's a great window into how "suits" think. Knowledge is power!

Originally Posted by ManuelM: Let's be honest - if some of us 'creative types' would write an article about who to best deal with those 'business types' there's a high chance it would be just as full of generalisations and prejudices - just the other way round.

I thought the same exact thing the whole time I read it. This is just a perfect example of the fact that the perceptions of creatives and "suits" is equally skewed on both sides.

I hate to say it, but I actually agreed with a lot of the things in this article. Some of it was condescending for sure. But then, so are all the hilarious "client from hell" stories we all love to roll our eyes at.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Nikola Tesla, wouldn't you mind getting less? What??? Living half a life in the most prestigious hotel? Noo, only this 2 meters room please.

Horrible choice of example.

Tesla died destitute, poor, crazy, emarginated and unrecognized because he shunned material income in favour or pursuing both sociopolitical and scientifical ideals. And with crazy I mean having a love story with a pigeon crazy.
He's the chief example of a genius not getting any motivation whatsoever from money even when he made it below the threshold of poverty.

He owned some key patents which he could have sued Marconi and other people over at the turning points in scientifical and technological history, and decided never to because they were inventing interesting things too.

If anything, that horrible HBA does apply more to the peculiarly intelligent than it does to Joe averagely creative.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread