Descent iPhone Camera app for CG Reference

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Descent iPhone Camera app for CG Reference

for a personal project I thought gathering reference material with my iphone might be a fun challenge.
When I went to grab a decent camera app. I was bewildered to find a hundred of them that did 80% of the same thing and 20% of the functions I was hoping for....none of them under the same app.

I'm looking for a panorama HDR(fake/jpg) camera app, that lets you independently select a focus and metering point with optional locking on both. These features are present in apps out there, just not in one program that I've found, It doesn't have to do the stitching, i can throw the shots into photoshop for that. Any ideas?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
just get a proper camera

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Whilst I don't necessarily have any ideas to aid you, as I just used the iPhones standard camera, I just want to tell you to not let the lack of an app, or features stop you from pursuing your project.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Just use the default camera app. Camera apps are for silly retro effects, etc.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by sinic: just get a proper camera

This.

A mobile phone camera's sensor is teeny tiny and of not much practical use for references, especially since you have no real control over exposure. I rather doubt that any apps with the features you mentioned are actually allowing you control over those functions; they're more than likely just simplified gimmicks.

With DSLRs cheaper than ever, why not simply pick up an entry level kit which will give you so much more functionality than your iPhone?

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Photosynth is very neat if you want to have quick and simple panoramas or even 360 images. it also locks the focus and exposure on first shot so you dont hav eto worry about difference in lighting

Old 04 April 2013   #7
645 Pro lets you lock focus and/or exposure. Never tried it for panos, but I suppose it should work.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by leigh: This.

A mobile phone camera's sensor is teeny tiny and of not much practical use for references, especially since you have no real control over exposure. I rather doubt that any apps with the features you mentioned are actually allowing you control over those functions; they're more than likely just simplified gimmicks.

With DSLRs cheaper than ever, why not simply pick up an entry level kit which will give you so much more functionality than your iPhone?

I agree with your words, though pulling out my DSLR in the middle of an activity can really interrupt everyones thoughts and put them on the "friend with his camera", so keeping it casual with a mobile phone can make capturing the moment easier. Seeing as I already have an iPhone I figure why not see how far I can take this guy.

Most of the "features" are less than interesting in other apps. If you could combine about 6 of the features spread across all the apps I've looked into, into a single app, you would hands-down, have the most useful iPhone app around for someone who's used to using a DSLR and who wants plenty of freedom. Nobody has put the features in one camera app though.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
I use FiLMiC Pro (yes, it's really capitalized that oddly) for shooting video reference for animation as it allows you to record at 24fps vs the standard 30fps. Don't know that I'd use it for any sort of modeling/lighting reference, but it's perfect for animation ref.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread