Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

Are there any unemployment statistics focused on 3d/vfx?

It would be useful to the conversation if we could know what the unemployment rate in different locales and nations was for vfx/3d because it's hard to develop a relative perspective. Does anyone know of any data on this matter?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I think it's hard to gather, as who would be considered as unemployed? I would consider only those, who worked for some companies for at least a year or two, and then couldn't find jobs. As those who didn't make it cannot be considered unemployed, but rather not skilled enough yet.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
... but rather not skilled enough yet.

I honestly think that is a biased view.. anyone who is not gainfully employed regardless of skill level is.. "unemployed".

Current reported unemployment rate here in the US is 7.6%, but that only includes those who have filed new/concurrent jobless claims and does not include those that no longer qualify for unemployment benefits or those that do not file. There's a myriad of ways to fix the numbers, even the government shows stats to be more like around 14%... but alternative calculation methods go as high as 25%. In reality, just pick a number and run with it for your cause...

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternat...ployment-charts

Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswalk
I honestly think that is a biased view.. anyone who is not gainfully employed regardless of skill level is.. "unemployed".

So how would we consider an employment rate? As all who want to work in this field should be employed? I mean, what such a statistics would show?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
So how would we consider an employment rate? As all who want to work in this field should be employed? I mean, what such a statistics would show?

More inclusive stats would show trends in the industry holistically and not just focus on current numbers of unemployed (who were previously employed as you described). If you include regional data, recent graduates (employed/part-time, etc...), underemployed etc.. it would give a much more clear idea of how this specific industry is performing and/or changing.

How and where we get that data is unknown to me... but based on many threads here recently none of it is good. That does not mean the industry is dieing or anything, it is just (at least to me) a reflection of how all of our economic stagnation has impacted things.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Another point I would like to make is that many economic areas are considered "laggers" and others are called leaders... some stay relatively stagnate (like utilities). It seems to me, that 3d/vfx industry could fall more into the laggers group where other industries are hit very hard by slowing economics.. but the entertainment sector may be slow to be impacted.

just speculation on my part, but would be interesting to see more concrete data.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

tswalk, I see your point. Indeed, if we have pre- and post- statistics of the last 5 years, it would show the outlook.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting TD
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

I actually would tend to have to agree with Mister3D. We can't simply include all graduates, first that still excludes people self trained that are perfectly capable, and second, and I'm speaking about the one city I know well, but Vancouver graduates more 3D artists than the City could ever hope to employ every year. Fact is a large portion of them will never work in the industry, they may not have the aptitude for it, which is a shame that the school let them get so far and took their money, and for others they may have chosen focuses that were far to competitive, and didn't learn the necessary skills for areas that offer far more employment like modeling versus composting.

I studied Traditional animation, all my 3D was self taught, but you'd be making a big mistake considering me in the employment rate of the 2D animation industry as I've only ever done 3D.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

I think it would be hard to figure out for the industry because every month, another few hundred people are being laid off.

Digital Domain, Pixomondo, Rhythm & Hues, Dreamworks, Technicolor, Double Negative, Tippet Studios...

If you want to include games, EA, Junction Point, Disney Interactive, Valve, Sony, Activision, Funcom, THQ, Eurocom, and now LucasArts...

Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
It would be useful to the conversation if we could know what the unemployment rate in different locales and nations was for vfx/3d because it's hard to develop a relative perspective. Does anyone know of any data on this matter?

For VFX right now the industry is in shrink mode .Newer projects that do get landed are being done with less people, meanwhile learning institutions keep churning out people who want a job in the industry.......

b

Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr Bob
meanwhile learning institutions keep churning out people

But hasn't that always been the case with art? Not every artist 'makes it.'

Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsearcher

There were times when most artists in Ukraine were employed due to government sponsorship (making Lenins for decades). You could make a very decent living if you'd follow the soviet regime policy. Today the system functions the same, releasing many "classical" painters no-one needs. No-one buys oil paintings, it's rubbish today.
The same might happen to CG, but I guess in another fashion, as less artists will make much more work, due to technical progress.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsearcher

Making it has nothing to do with it. VFX is a business just like any other, people get employed to do a job. The industry for VFX is contracting right now and will keep going that way. There are lots of highly skilled people who around looking for work.

b

Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread