Percy Jackson : Sea of Monsters Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
The Bartimaeus Trilogy would make a series of films to rival, and in many cases topple, Harry Potter. In terms of pure reading enjoyment, I found them better then Harry Potter (which I absolutely loved).
The summoning scene in the first book, and the battle in the last would be Visual Effects Extravaganzas.

The second lead is a female character, that's cut from a similar cloth to Katniss, but is much more relatable (ie, not a bad ass with a bow and arrow), and the main male lead goes through an incredible journey of self discovery and growth, much of it lead by this strange character, Bartimaeus, and this rebellious girl. Honestly, the three of them make a much more enjoyable trinity to watch then the Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

And Bartimaeus himself is just plain hilarious.

Old 04 April 2013   #17
Originally Posted by leigh: I guess part of me wishes that if they'd wanted to make another series about a kid saving the world, they'd have tried to make it a bit different by making the main character a girl. That would immediately have given it a different angle and avoided the Harry Potter clone feeling, plus it'd be nice for kids to have a strong, kickass female role model for once.

that would not save the hollywood bs behind the plot.
its legal to have us kids as heroes in us films, but olympic gods on new york? that was such a bad joke only hollywood could came around the corner.
harry potter is way more original then the first percy jackson, it misses all the points that made hp so good.

Old 04 April 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Pyke: The Bartimaeus Trilogy would make a series of films to rival, and in many cases topple, Harry Potter. In terms of pure reading enjoyment, I found them better then Harry Potter (which I absolutely loved).
The summoning scene in the first book, and the battle in the last would be Visual Effects Extravaganzas.

The second lead is a female character, that's cut from a similar cloth to Katniss, but is much more relatable (ie, not a bad ass with a bow and arrow), and the main male lead goes through an incredible journey of self discovery and growth, much of it lead by this strange character, Bartimaeus, and this rebellious girl. Honestly, the three of them make a much more enjoyable trinity to watch then the Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Stop that.
You're making me salivate.

Old 04 April 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Pyke: The Bartimaeus Trilogy would make a series of films to rival, and in many cases topple, Harry Potter. In terms of pure reading enjoyment, I found them better then Harry Potter (which I absolutely loved).

At times like this I get all pissed off again at how badly they screwed up The Golden Compass, because the His Dark Materials trilogy could have been absolutely amazing if someone had actually had the balls to do it properly.

Old 04 April 2013   #20
I think a TV series like what Game of thrones has done for the ' A Song of Ice and Fire' series of books could come close to capturing the complexity of the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy of books. I fear a movie would gloss over so much to fit into the 2-3 hour running time of most movies.

I started reading A Game of Thrones and I am amazed at how well they translated it for the small screen. The are changes here and there like the younger characters been significantly aged up, I guess having 13-16 year olds getting pregnant or chopping people's head's off would have been weird.

Old 04 April 2013   #21
Originally Posted by leigh: I did get the distinct feeling when working on it that it was supposed to be like an American Harry Potter.

This. Imagine Harry Potter with whiny American teens and less whimsy and imagination, or to put it another way, imagine a very boring movie. I went to see it with my sister and we both almost fell asleep about 45minutes into it.

Old 04 April 2013   #22
Originally Posted by DoubleSupercool: This. Imagine Harry Potter with whiny American teens and less whimsy and imagination, or to put it another way, imagine a very boring movie. I went to see it with my sister and we both almost fell asleep about 45minutes into it.

It wasn't bad....but it just really wasn't good. Although I think it kinda improved on the books...Which says something about the books.

I dont understand why it was picked up, when honestly there are MUCH more deserving 'teen novels' out there.

Artemis Fowl would also make for some pretty damned good entertainment.

Old 04 April 2013   #23
No, it wasn't terrible but it was just mind-numbingly average, especially when compared to it's obvious competitor, Harry Potter.

Agreed that Golden Compass had potential, but only as much as the books. In my opinion, the books started great, were amazing in the second and by the third Pullman's obvious agenda to create a non-Christian Narnia was so grating that it really took away from the books. I struggled to finish it because his personal bias really dragged down the story.

Given the current religiosity in the USA, I fail to see how they could have stayed true to the third book without "offending" the religious right, and more importantly, risking their profit margin.

Now, something like Dragonlance? That trilogy was *made* to be filmed!

Old 04 April 2013   #24
Originally Posted by DoubleSupercool: Agreed that Golden Compass had potential, but only as much as the books. In my opinion, the books started great, were amazing in the second and by the third Pullman's obvious agenda to create a non-Christian Narnia was so grating that it really took away from the books. I struggled to finish it because his personal bias really dragged down the story.

Given the current religiosity in the USA, I fail to see how they could have stayed true to the third book without "offending" the religious right, and more importantly, risking their profit margin.

The second book, in particular, has some really incredible imagery. Personally, I didn't really notice much of an agenda in the series, but then I'm an atheist so perhaps I'm less sensitive to any hooks in his writing. At any rate, I think it's a good thing that someone wrote something to counteract the Narnia series, as kids should be exposed to all kinds of thinking, so that they can make better choices for themselves.

Old 04 April 2013   #25
I actually found His Dark Materials no less than masterpiece, and yes Golden Compass is such a shameful attempt.
Subtle knife is my personal favorite in series.

Old 04 April 2013   #26
Originally Posted by leigh: The second book, in particular, has some really incredible imagery. Personally, I didn't really notice much of an agenda in the series, but then I'm an atheist so perhaps I'm less sensitive to any hooks in his writing. At any rate, I think it's a good thing that someone wrote something to counteract the Narnia series, as kids should be exposed to all kinds of thinking, so that they can make better choices for themselves.

The second book was amazing. The only books that have excited me like that recently with their imagery are Snow Crash and Perdido Street Station.

Yeah, I had some religious background (am atheist though) and it really grated on me, like listening to Richard Dawkins . . . I might agree with them, but their approach annoys me in that "I know better than them" way that they are supposedly against

I also agree that there is space for something other than Narnia but I still think it would be extremely hard to get the third movie made and be true to the books in "today's America" :\

Old 04 April 2013   #27
Originally Posted by DoubleSupercool: The second book was amazing. The only books that have excited me like that recently with their imagery are Snow Crash and Perdido Street Station.

Both great novels. Snow Crash would be virtually impossible to truly translate into film, but I've always thought Perdido Street Station would make an amazing film or mini series. I love the steampunkish setting.

Quote: Yeah, I had some religious background (am atheist though) and it really grated on me, like listening to Richard Dawkins . . . I might agree with them, but their approach annoys me in that "I know better than them" way that they are supposedly against

Funnily enough, I don't really get that vibe from Dawkins either. I see him as more mischievous and humorous in his approach than arrogant. I particularly enjoy his twitter feed.

Quote: I also agree that there is space for something other than Narnia but I still think it would be extremely hard to get the third movie made and be true to the books in "today's America" :\

That's true. Maybe it's time for the Brits to step up to the plate and make the trilogy instead!

Old 04 April 2013   #28
What I like to do when I see the golden compass is think, "hey, at least it isn't as bad as eragon".
That was a crime what they did with that. It's still my favorite novel series to date.

I also completely agree with Artemus fowl, that would be great.
Maybe another suggestion would be the pendragon series?

Old 04 April 2013   #29
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread