Hey, Highschooler needs insight for the future..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
If you're still in high school, above learning about 3D animation, I would seriously consider learning some Mandarin and a bit about Chinese culture because by the time you're good enough to enter the workforce, you'll likely need to relocate to China for a career (if you're looking at doing film animation).

04 April 2013
Probably true, but also short sighted. I think there will always be a place for animation in the North America, might not be paid the same as in the past, but it'll be here. Besides, if you've ever worked in China, you'd know, they all speak English to each other most of the time. Too many dialects, its easier to speak English unless you're buddies, but really its improbable.

I know I'll get flack for this, but skip the traditional media in college, its over priced. Doodle on your own time. ..or do courses at Art centers that don't charge for "accreditation" that means nothing these days ...just saying, 20k to learn how to draw on paper when you need to be doing it on a Wacom seems like a rip in 2013. OK HATE ME. I'm ignorant I guess.

Last edited by pipdixel : 04 April 2013 at 11:55 PM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by pipdixel: ... there will always be a place for animation in the North America, might not be paid the same as in the past, but it'll be here.

True, but there will be more people NOT willing to go work in China that WILLING to go work in China, and those who stay will likely be very experienced, and fighting for very few jobs. Someone just starting isn't going to have a chance when going up against someone with even a few credits behind them, especially if they're willing to work for the same price as the new guy.

The only chance I see is if the VFX houses somehow manage to become participants in the grosses. And I can't see the studios jumping at that for any significant amount. Plus that puts even more risk on the VFX houses because they'll budget for lower bids and hope for higher returns. It's the best of many bad options, and it's still really dicey.

Originally Posted by pipdixel: I know I'll get flack for this, but skip the traditional media in college, its over priced. Doodle on your own time. ..or do courses at Art centers that don't charge for "accreditation" that means nothing these days ...just saying, 20k to learn how to draw on paper when you need to be doing it on a Wacom seems like a rip in 2013. OK HATE ME. I'm ignorant I guess.

Nope. At this point, I'd agree. I got a great 3D modeling job using Max and basically learned it over a weekend thanks to cramming some YouTube tutorials. I knew 3D modeling from Lightwave and Maya already, but getting up to speed in Max was easy because of online tutorials.

If the Internet had existed in its current form when I was going to school, I probably would have just gone the self-taught route. The only real thing that school is good for now is networking and the fact that its specific time set aside for learning. But is that worth $60k+? I'm not convinced anymore. Especially considering the industry outlook.

China or New Zealand (if they can hold out). That's where the future of CG lies IMO.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by pipdixel: I know I'll get flack for this, but skip the traditional media in college, its over priced. Doodle on your own time. ..or do courses at Art centers that don't charge for "accreditation" that means nothing these days ...just saying, 20k to learn how to draw on paper when you need to be doing it on a Wacom seems like a rip in 2013. OK HATE ME. I'm ignorant I guess.

I tell the same thing to my College Prep students all the time. Students these days should learn fundamentals on the (relative) cheap, at community colleges, prep programs, private studios, etc., prior to college. There is no reason to spend thousands of dollars to learn how to draw and paint, since these fundamentals take years to learn and can eat up an entire art education. The more a student knows these days prior to going to college, the better. A better prepared traditionally trained artist will be in a much better position to then tackle digital subjects at the art college or university level.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2013
Having a strong portfolio is what it's about. I personally would look for teachers who's work you like. Fundamentals are best learned in person not online. Having a instructor looking over your shoulder as you draw/painting is the better way to go. The teachers here look really good.
http://laafa.org/gallery/instructors/

It seems to me when it comes to software, that is a little more conducive to an online education.

If your taking the college path, something to think about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNM7nvcVm-0

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by rownd:
If your taking the college path, something to think about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNM7nvcVm-0

Reposted for emphasis. Excellent link rownd.
Suzie talks about the initial loan being $40k at one point... if you didn't spend that on institutionalized education, you could spend that money on hardware, software and living expenses for a year+ and take the time to learn. You could probably even afford a private tutor to get you rolling.

Beyond that, I'm not sure of many 3D schools that are $40k. Even Vancouver Film School is well beyond that now.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread