Work in CG: Australia vs Canada

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Work in CG: Australia vs Canada

Hello!

I'm currently studying CG and I plan to take this as a job. Still dont know if I'll focus on games, vfx, whatever.

Well, Ive been doing some research about Canada's scene and Ive heard a lot of people talking about the lack of work options in Canada.

How about Australia? Could I get some work there? Do they have a strong CG over there? I bet not like Canada but could I get a nice job there?

Last edited by technokill : 03 March 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Hey man,

Well considering the growth of the Brazilian economy, who knows where things will be in 3 or 4 years. Apparently the Real is weak vs the USD, and that in some way is good for exports. Plus if the WC and Olympics can clean up Rio, it could be on par with Vancouver or Sydney. Obviously though I haven't been to any of those places, nor am I an economist.

-AJ

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Considering your not even experienced unfortunately I don't fancy your chances in either country. From a film vfx perspective theres not much of a career to be had based in Aus with less than a handful of companies who's work is up and down, with plenty of expereinced Aussies who cannot even get a long term turnover of work. Vancouver has a far bigger industry but as expected is saturated with experienced people a lot of which have moved up from LA as both Sony / DD are encouraging staff to move up north.

B

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Haha it's nice to see your enthusiasm about Brazil AJ1, but to live here for the rest of my life is the last thing I want, I could go into details but just no. I thought about Canada and Australia because they seem to be the easiest places to get visas and immigrate later.

And yes, I have no experience right now, but Im not thinking about doing it right away. I know it will take time for me to be in a competitive level, and only when that happens I would move to one of these countries.

Mr bob, you are talking about vfx specifically right?

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Hey Allan,

No matter where you go your biggest obstacle is going to be not knowing anyone. Even as a student, this industry, more so than most, is all about your network. Whether is be games, tv, or film, people tend to get hired because someone on the inside recommended them.

For example, the studio where I work here in Vancouver hires many of there juniors from 2-3 schools they have a good relationship with. So the profs recommend the students they like, and than those students who get hired recommend their buddies later once their established. Its a cycle I would imagine exists at a lot of studios.

Not trying to discourage you, but if you move to either Canada or Australia, I would prepare for a long job search. Honestly, depending on the timing and luck, it could take years. But, its worth it if this is something your really passionate about.

Also, make sure you have some other marketable job skills to help pay your rent while you look for a cg job. For this reason alone I would recommend Montreal as the rent is much cheaper than Vancouver and Toronto. You can get trapped working fulltime at your temporary just trying to survive in an expensive city and than have very little time to focus on job hunting and maintaining your skills.

Sorry if this all seems negative, but its always best to know what your going up against. I took a similar route and have no regrets. Best of luck.

Matt

PS: sorry did not notice that you said you would want to get a job in that country first before moving. That route is almost tougher with no experience, unless your an absolute rockstar. If I were you I would either stay at home and try and get some experience locally, or roll the dice and move to another country and try to meet people in the industry.

Last edited by Clappy3D : 03 March 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Clappy3D: PS: sorry did not notice that you said you would want to get a job in that country first before moving. That route is almost tougher with no experience, unless your an absolute rockstar. If I were you I would either stay at home and try and get some experience locally, or roll the dice and move to another country and try to meet people in the industry.

I can attest to this. I applied to every studio I could find in North America several times, for close to 2-3 years and never had any luck. Then I moved to Vancouver (without a job) and suddenly two months later I got hired, and largely because I had a friend working at the studio who personally recommended me. If you're looking at entry-level, you pretty much have to be local so they can hire you immediately, and you should ideally know someone in a studio already. It's also good if you are local so you can start networking at events and make those connections / friends in the industry.

Basically, plan to move where you want to live and work at something un-related while working the network and your reel until you get in.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Great post Matt. You totally nailed it.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by technokill: Hello!

I'm currently studying CG and I plan to take this as a job. Still dont know if I'll focus on games, vfx, whatever.

Well, Ive been doing some research about Canada's scene and Ive heard a lot of people talking about the lack of work options in Canada.

How about Australia? Could I get some work there? Do they have a strong CG over there? I bet not like Canada but could I get a nice job there?

I don't know who you heard it from, but Canada right now, as far as work options in film go, is probably the one with the most variety.
A mix of shops originally from all nationalities have offices there siphoning work in from both the previously established UK and USA facilities.

That said, work is a bit thin on the ground everywhere right now, and looks like it will be for most of the year, meaning there's a lot of competition with much better credits and background than yours right now, a fair chunk of it local, which means no visa troubles for the employer and a notch to reach quota of locals for rebates and subsidies. They are preferred before it even comes to merit.

Australia is a much smaller market with only three or four prominent names that could bother sponsoring a visa, and the sky high dollar combined with NSW being tighter than before on the rebates means work is thin on the ground here too.
Same as above, experienced mid and junior level locals will always have precedence over you, and there are plenty floating around right now and for the foreseeable future.

I strongly suggest you start focusing hard on your reel and on getting local experience ASAP to build at least the stub of a CV and a decent reel. Being sponsored and brought over by a facility doing top tier work for someone with no experience is possible, but extremely rare.

The smaller places usually try to avoid visa issues/import like the plague and would rather pick from a selected pre-existing talent pool they already know, or pick up after larger shops moving staff during the lulls.

All in all, you're putting the cart in front of the horses if without having even decided what you want to do you're already hoping to pick where

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Originally Posted by Panupat: Great post Matt. You totally nailed it.

+1. Certainly reflects the realities in Canada.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Alright guys, Ill take all of that into consideration.

Thanks a lot for the insights.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Originally Posted by technokill: Hello!

A good idea even if you really want to move out of brazil, is to start working there to gain LOCAL contact + pro XP and build yourself a portfolio. There are very good Print CG companies in south america (Brazil, Chile, Argentina ...). In those companies you will probably met people who know people that work at DD or MPC in vancouver , they will give you their mail etc ... and if your portfolio is really good and show pro skills in one or 2 area ... you will multiply your chance by 50* to get a job there.

Again south america is one of the most growing CG place, and it would be a shame to not take advantage of this ...

And if you're dream is to work on a big blockbuster , well you will maybe realise that your job in a small companies was far more excitting than doing the same task for 6 month in a big one ( hey mumy look at this tiny smoke in the background , its me !!! )

this is one of the best print company in the world its in chile but you have many companies like this one in Brazil
http://www.salamagica.com/

check what they do and i assure you that you can build a good modeling / texture / lighting portfolio with this kind of work !

Cheers

E

Last edited by SebKaine : 04 April 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Good advices thanks.

But there's something im wondering here. I see that I might have a chance to study CG in a college/university in either countries. Comparing to the idea of getting experience previously here in Brazil and then going abroad, would that be a better way to establish myself over there? More contacts, networking, opportunities, internships. What do you think?

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Originally Posted by technokill: Good advices thanks.

But there's something im wondering here. I see that I might have a chance to study CG in a college/university in either countries. Comparing to the idea of getting experience previously here in Brazil and then going abroad, would that be a better way to establish myself over there? More contacts, networking, opportunities, internships. What do you think?

There are 2 centres of education that always turn out quality students .Bournmouth in the UK and Vancouver Fim School . Normally the top couple of students walk straight into jobs as junior artists or TA's

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Add to this you might see if say the VFS program provide intern-ships which might be useful for your local networking as well.
I believe this is an option for foreign students as well. But you should *confirm* this as a fact with the VFS before counting on it.

Also the main reason studios are less likely to want to go go through visa sponsorship with junior artists is the time, effort and expense usually isn't worth the effort compared to hiring a local. Only seniors with something
*unique* to offer are worth the hassle.
The intern-ship might get you some local experience (while you attend VFS) but it doesn't mean its enough for a studio to then turnaround and sponsor you for a work visa as well (after you graduate VFS) unless you *really* make yourself invaluable somehow. Its a possible path-but life really has to fall into place for you.

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Originally Posted by circusboy: Add to this you might see if say the VFS program provide intern-ships which might be useful for your local networking as well.
I believe this is an option for foreign students as well. But you should *confirm* this as a fact with the VFS before counting on it.

Also the main reason studios are less likely to want to go go through visa sponsorship with junior artists is the time, effort and expense usually isn't worth the effort compared to hiring a local. Only seniors with something
*unique* to offer are worth the hassle.
The intern-ship might get you some local experience (while you attend VFS) but it doesn't mean its enough for a studio to then turnaround and sponsor you for a work visa as well (after you graduate VFS) unless you *really* make yourself invaluable somehow. Its a possible path-but life really has to fall into place for you.

So all in all you think the best option would still be to acquire local experience before taking my chances abroad?

ps: Since you are from Montreal, how do you anything about Centre NAD? And how are the job opportunities for juniors over there?

Thread Closed share thread