A new Fox Engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
A new Fox Engine

I'm glad MGS series gets such a boost in graphics. This should really help Kojima tell stories with even a deeper impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6R...player_embedded

03 March 2013
Awesome. And from the first screen shot (robot arm smoking) I guess this talk is after the trailer. Which contains an awesome song by Garbage.

03 March 2013
Wow that is the best cloth I have seen. Check out the flowing coat of the guy at the end. Incredible.

03 March 2013
It looks like it has realtime "GI", based on cubemaps. It's the same as frostbite does, but in realtime, rather than precalculated (as I understand it).

03 March 2013
So basically it's psuedo-IBL lighting?

I am amazed it runs on the ps3. Graphically it matches modern PC titles aside from the particle effects. Very impressive.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: It looks like it has realtime "GI", based on cubemaps. It's the same as frostbite does, but in realtime, rather than precalculated (as I understand it).

it seems like it took a couple seconds for the gi to generate so it might not be quite real time, but interpolated between those few seconds' frames to give the illusion of real time

03 March 2013
There is something quite special about that demo. I cant put my finger it on it but it impresses me far more than the recent UE4, Dice and Crysis demonstrations. It must be a subtle thing.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by grrinc: There is something quite special about that demo. I cant put my finger it on it but it impresses me far more than the recent UE4, Dice and Crysis demonstrations. It must be a subtle thing.

It's very naturalistic & down to earth compared to something like the UE4 demo, which really shows more of a stylized reality than a photo-realistic one. Maybe that has something to do with it? I kinda like the over-the-topness of some of the other demos though .

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

03 March 2013
i think the best way to show off an engine is to show specific features happening in realtime in a laid back scene vs a fast paced action trailer with everything flying by

here's their full presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MR6KhOX7I

04 April 2013
The full presentation in better image quality (up to 720p).

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-...-panel-6406092/

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by -SD-: The full presentation in better image quality (up to 720p).

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-...-panel-6406092/

Well done. you are my lifesaver.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by grrinc: There is something quite special about that demo. I cant put my finger it on it but it impresses me far more than the recent UE4, Dice and Crysis demonstrations. It must be a subtle thing.

Even if you look at first MGS PS1-PS2 games, they look very realistic. They shot reference material, and they never overdo textures with dirt, tear and wear, as it happens to most other games.
MGS team does results not many companies can achieve artistically, maybe Konami and few others.
American games look different, though it's hard to explain the difference, but they look more as "to sell". Russian (and Ukrainian) games lack this sophistication as well. Maybe it's due to art direction.
Though character design is pretty poor, as in most Japanese and Chinese game studios. They are Japanese and they make outstanding quality, but also too "traditional". Despite this, they are still one of the best studios.

04 April 2013
i watched the full video and thought that the day time lighting is so much better than the night one. Looks really good, hope the game will be out for pc..

04 April 2013
graphically very impressive, considering it runs on PS3, I have no idea what they are gonna pull off on PS4; artistically even more impressive than Cryengine 3 games and UE4 demo in terms of realism.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by ganz: graphically very impressive, considering it runs on PS3, I have no idea what they are gonna pull off on PS4; artistically even more impressive than Cryengine 3 games and UE4 demo in terms of realism.

Are you usre it runs of PS3? It seems they said it runs of PC.

Thread Closed share thread