UE4 -"Infiltration" tech demo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I dont know... Its a verry relative subject. Artists already have to model high poly, model low poly and then bake the maps.
Having a game engine that allows more detail doesnt change that workflow in a way that it makes it more time consuming, for example.

Also, in the early days much more work had to put into lighting, for example, since you were verry limited in that area (maximum amount of lights, primitive shadows, etc...).

The previous gen of games did indeed add allot of work, but i think the upcomming gen is more a step towards an easier way to create content compared to the previous generation.

Having to work with less limited tech allows for a less baking/faking approach and a more brute force/straight forward workflow.

Also, ppl saying CG is dead... how ignorant can you be. Ingame graphics are also CG.

I agree with most of this, except the part about time needed for content creation. Like so many things, it's not like devs will choose to do less, but will expect more assets/levels/etc. in the same amount of time. This has been a constant across every "time saving" tool, proc, or device since computers were invented.

But there are still 2 big mysteries here: How much of what we see here is "out of the box" and how much is massive amounts of lighting tricks, faked fx, LODs and other techniques used to optimize memory, and what sort of ridiculously over-powered or overclocked system is it running on?

I'm not saying this doesn't look fantastic - it does. But there's a lot more to it than that.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Despite how much better things look, there are some things that actually speed up development a lot over the previous version of the engine---like lighting, it's all real-time which means you don't have to wait hours for lighting to build and you can see your results instantly. The changes to the programming side should also speed up development.

There wouldn't really be much more work to make the models higher quality, the difference I think is in how many things you want to put in there. Also, many games spend more time on the main characters which might mean 10 or less high-quality characters and then 20 low detail characters that might not have even had a Zbrush sculpt or anything like that.

I think for the most part, things will even out as far as advancements making things faster to develop and higher game requirements making things take more work. For the most part, if you take a game developed today, you could do a much better result without doing much work. I'm sure the guys doing Bioshock Infinte would have greatly appreciated the new lighting system since that game had large level components that needed to be dynamic.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
This demo runs on a single GTX680, a soon to be middle performance card!? That's great. The original 'Samaritan' UE3 tech demo ran on 3 GTX580s, way beyond your consumer range at the time.

That means every new PC game should be targeted to play levels with the same visual quality as appropriate hardware is not the limitation anymore. It seems to me the software needs to catch up with the hardware and be more quicker and easier to produce loads of high quality assets.

Though I'm not sure what parts of the asset pipeline production bottleneck needs to improve?

Jules

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Nice, but one single button can cause all that chaos?
thanks god Homer Simpson doesn't work there
Not to mention that every single soldier and combat machines
always, always are terrible when aiming at the enemy!

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Looks very similar in detail to the city in Killzone on PS4 which was shown recently, though slightly more "Epic" design-wise with the waterfall set piece. Damn impressive.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
I personally think a lot of the previous generation techniques like normal mapping will be retained but scaled up with dynamic simulations running on top of it, tessellation etc running on key elements. Workflow enhancements will increase scope with extra work on top.

People also expect better designed assets, art styles, characters and environments too these days, so the concepting and design side will be more complex. When you look at the amount of visual development that goes into something like Halo 4 its on a whole other level to how it was a few years back.

I personally hope the market moves further towards tighter more innovative experiences like Journey where the art styles can really shine through along side the big hitters. If anything the barrier of entry will be lower, digital stores are getting far more sophisticated and much less focus on retail outlets.

The current/previous generation had a glut of shallow experiences desperately trying to compete against the top tier titles, a lot of those studios went under. That whole bubble of crappy casual games and Facebook junk "for non gamers" that gobbled up so much of the investment has pretty much burst too.

I'm hopeful smarter more agile studios targeting adults (who grew up with games) will replace them, especially since its all essentially PC hardware now, porting across platforms will be far easier.

Except the WiiU which i think is pretty much going to just be Nintendo games.

Last edited by conbom : 03 March 2013 at 06:08 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Did they say when udk 4 is coming out?

Epic said "2014" at the time UE4 was unveiled.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
They haven't said anything about a UDK version of Unreal Engine 4, other than that it will come at some point. Nothing about any expected release time.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Someone asked Mark Rein yesterday via twitter if a UE4 UDK will be released at some time. His answer simply was: Stay tuned

Too bad that Epic didn't give us at least an ETA, but who knows, maybe in the weeks to come.

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Originally Posted by Artbot: I agree with most of this, except the part about time needed for content creation. Like so many things, it's not like devs will choose to do less, but will expect more assets/levels/etc. in the same amount of time. This has been a constant across every "time saving" tool, proc, or device since computers were invented.

But there are still 2 big mysteries here: How much of what we see here is "out of the box" and how much is massive amounts of lighting tricks, faked fx, LODs and other techniques used to optimize memory, and what sort of ridiculously over-powered or overclocked system is it running on?

I'm not saying this doesn't look fantastic - it does. But there's a lot more to it than that.

fully agree

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by TheDistiller: Someone asked Mark Rein yesterday via twitter if a UE4 UDK will be released at some time. His answer simply was: Stay tuned

Too bad that Epic didn't give us at least an ETA, but who knows, maybe in the weeks to come.

I expect they'll put it out as soon as possible, to their advantage to get as many people using the engine as possible so that they can again have the dominant game engine for the upcoming generation of games.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
The demand for content is always on the rise. Every studio is expected to deliver more, year by year, and to be honest the audiences are quite demanding as well. If you're not at the level of Avatar you'll definitely get criticized and noone will care about the production realities. So you'll have to save time just to keep up.

Deal with it.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
Game engines, which don't have "GI", are already criticized by gamers. After BF3 everybody wants "at least" BF3 quality. If not, "it looks outdated". Which means in upcoming year or two anyone will have to use new engines.
I'm sure new amazing tools will appear, which will skyrocket the speed of development.

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Looks amazing!
I would expect a demo to take everything to max. The rate soft and hard develops I am not sure how you would dumb down a release example to reflect the myriad of setups that will eventually use the product.

Whatever, the demo looks amazing and I can't wait to play all this stuff.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
looks as impressive as it is, I highly doubt it runs off single gtx680 with that framerate, some parts just look too good too smooth to be true, but definitely looking forward to ue4 and whole bunch of other nextgen engines, considering Crysis 3 has already looked damn good

Thread Closed share thread