UE4 -"Infiltration" tech demo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  03 March 2013
UE4 -"Infiltration" tech demo

It looks astonishing!


Last edited by TheDistiller : 03 March 2013 at 04:47 PM.
 
  03 March 2013
Did they say when udk 4 is coming out?
 
  03 March 2013
Looks nice. Wondering what that demo would have looked like with day-light settings though.
__________________
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex & more violent..." Einstein
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Did they say when udk 4 is coming out?


Not yet, but I dearly hope it's not too far off. It's such a pain to know that this awesome piece of tech is ready for use, but simply not made available.
 
  03 March 2013
It looks very good. Better than everything I saw until now made with Unreal engine. And it seems to have everything. I'm not sure from the video if it has the type of raytrace-like dof and mblur from my cryengine tools, but it looks very cinematic and rendered-like.

Last edited by sebastian___ : 03 March 2013 at 06:03 PM.
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by TheDistiller: Not yet, but I dearly hope it's not too far off. It's such a pain to know that this awesome piece of tech is ready for use, but simply not made available.


If I remember correctly, unlike previous tech (where there is always current build each month) this one is NOT easily available to smaller studios and indies.

I think maybe the bigger studios wanted more exclusiveness, just like ID Software own engine. Where they (ID) released it for free after a few generation out.

I can't remember if what I remember is right, but I think at that time they do have a point. Remember the old days of bragging the awesomeness of your engine (instead of the gameplay) is hard to do when indies and internet team are releasing games using the same engine for cheap or free.

Can't find old article, but here it is:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...t-indies-sooner

“Should we have done that from day one with UE3? Yeah, maybe,” he added.
“I’m not sure if we’re going to do it straight away with Unreal Engine 4"

For what it worth... too early to say.

edit:

in googling the articles, I found out that it already available for licensing by studios. there was in "indie" studio, but it mention flagship product or something, so i guess its a high powered indie.

http://gamingbolt.com/spec-ops-the-...ounced-aaa-game

http://www.develop-online.net/featu...Unreal-Engine-4

Last edited by fablefox : 03 March 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: more info
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by fablefox:
edit:

in googling the articles, I found out that it already available for licensing by studios. there was in "indie" studio, but it mention flagship product or something, so i guess its a high powered indie.

http://gamingbolt.com/spec-ops-the-...ounced-aaa-game

http://www.develop-online.net/featu...Unreal-Engine-4


It has been given to smaller companies already, like Phosphor Games Studios with their "Project Awakened" or Zombie Studios "Daylight". One can only hope.
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by fablefox: If I remember correctly, unlike previous tech (where there is always current build each month) this one is NOT easily available to smaller studios and indies.

Epic may have licensed itself too thinly for proper support with UE3 which caught the ire of some developers claiming preferential treatment/support for big studios - one resulting in a lawsuit.

I think the stakes are bigger this generation and Epic may want to back key titles across a range of devices. Quality over Quantity given the inroads more affordable game engines have made in recent years.
__________________
Richard Cabrera
Twitter - Flickr
 
  03 March 2013
Omg, that was incredible.
Much better than their first UE4 demo (which i found quite dissapointing).
 
  03 March 2013
Wow, chromatic aberration curse now hits games.
For some reason, those new game engines look better in night scenes (isn't it strange? As dark scene light interaction seems harder to mimic).
Definitely looks impressive technologically. What will they bring to the table next generation? Poor developers...

Last edited by mister3d : 03 March 2013 at 07:31 PM.
 
  03 March 2013
Quite, quite good, better realtime cinematic that I see so far.
__________________
www.josemlazaro.com
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Definitely looks impressive technologically. What will they bring to the table next generation? Poor developers...


While it's an impressive demo, it still has the same shortcomings of other tech demos: It's highly optimized to a specific environment and hides a lot behind the night/dark interior lighting. More importantly, the amount of work that goes into a demo like this is far greater than most studios could afford to spend on making a whole game look like this. If people realized this, they could appreciate it for the tech demo it is instead of making stupid comments (seen elsewhere) like "CG is dead!" or "Battlefield 9 is gonna ROCK!!!"

TL,DR - It's like going to the boat show and checking out a hundred foot luxury yacht, then realizing you will have to settle for an 16' outboard, maybe with a windscreen if you're lucky.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
  03 March 2013
Looks very nice.
I just don`t know was it smart to press that button? haha
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: While it's an impressive demo, it still has the same shortcomings of other tech demos: It's highly optimized to a specific environment and hides a lot behind the night/dark interior lighting. More importantly, the amount of work that goes into a demo like this is far greater than most studios could afford to spend on making a whole game look like this. If people realized this, they could appreciate it for the tech demo it is instead of making stupid comments (seen elsewhere) like "CG is dead!" or "Battlefield 9 is gonna ROCK!!!"

TL,DR - It's like going to the boat show and checking out a hundred foot luxury yacht, then realizing you will have to settle for an 16' outboard, maybe with a windscreen if you're lucky.


I dont know... Its a verry relative subject. Artists already have to model high poly, model low poly and then bake the maps.
Having a game engine that allows more detail doesnt change that workflow in a way that it makes it more time consuming, for example.

Also, in the early days much more work had to put into lighting, for example, since you were verry limited in that area (maximum amount of lights, primitive shadows, etc...).

The previous gen of games did indeed add allot of work, but i think the upcomming gen is more a step towards an easier way to create content compared to the previous generation.

Having to work with less limited tech allows for a less baking/faking approach and a more brute force/straight forward workflow.

Also, ppl saying CG is dead... how ignorant can you be. Ingame graphics are also CG.
 
  03 March 2013
Games still don't look as good as some tech demos from years ago.

Seriously, while these are neat to watch, they don't do anything for me...
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.