CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
-SD-
Frequenter

Just passing by...
Fiji

Activision R&D: Real-time human head demo (GDC 2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6R6N4Vy0nE

GDC 2013 slides: http://www.iryoku.com/stare-into-the-future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activision R&D
Note: Yes, this is the same source data from ICT used by Nvidia at GTC, but rendered using a completely different tech.

Blog post of Jorge Jimenez who works at Activision Blizzard R&D: http://www.iryoku.com/next-generation-life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Jimenez
We believe this technology will bring current generation characters, into next generation life. At 180 fps in a Geforce GTX 680.

Last edited by -SD- : 08-23-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Am I the only one that just sees this as having asset production for games skyrocket in terms of cost, therefore having developers taking less risks with the games that can actually use this tech?

I mean don't get me wrong, its amazing. Mind blowing in fact...but I somehow don't think this is going to push games forward, but actually have the opposite effect.

Or perhaps I'm just being the annoying kid at the party?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

You're completely right.... There are also the limitations that they now have to cast each character through a modeling agency or such. And this tech can't really be used for non-photoreal art styles and anything non-human.

Very impressive none the less, especially compared to the similar approach from Nvidia which does not look this good.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I don't think animation is really important here. What I like is skin shader, this is what's missing in announced next-gen titles. It's very obvious, as the rest looks ok, but not the skin. And animated clothes would be nice.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
hotknife
Expert

Andrew Whitney
Nottingham,

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/4...ring-tech-demo/

This head was used in the Nvidia demo.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
What I like is skin shader, this is what's missing in announced next-gen titles.

Next gen titles need to display a few more things, they can't afford to spend all their computing power on a single head. They also need to run on much weaker hardware (the consoles) that fits in a ~200W power envelope.

Some of this tech is probably only going to be used many years from now on the PS5 level hardware. Although this one might be more optimized, Jorge's stuff has been making the rounds for a while...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
scrawford
Frequenter
Sarah
Orlado, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
Am I the only one that just sees this as having asset production for games skyrocket in terms of cost, therefore having developers taking less risks with the games that can actually use this tech?

I mean don't get me wrong, its amazing. Mind blowing in fact...but I somehow don't think this is going to push games forward, but actually have the opposite effect.

Or perhaps I'm just being the annoying kid at the party?

Im either becoming crotchety and old, or tech has been put over game play for quite a few years now. That new battlefield demo looks so beautiful, but I sure hope they spent as much time making it an actual fun new experience.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

@scrawford: Wrong Thread?

On the tech : I'm speechless at the quality of this rendering... even the eyes, which were a letdone on the nvidia are much better, and it seems to work on something more "normal" than a couple of titans.

Achieving that level of realism for humans though, will ask for real actors scanning in the future. You can Zbrush them a little for prosthetics etc... but unless you go for a non-human character, I can't see how you could achieve that level of perfection in a decent amount of time : The base mesh + all the FACS...

Good for the actors though...

On the other hand, it's true that AAA games look more and more like a film... and also plays more and more like one too ! (scripted and on rail...).

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotknife
http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/4...ring-tech-demo/

This head was used in the Nvidia demo.

Yes and it's a pity they didn't use the female one instead. To my eyes it looks more natural and realistic than the one they used.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
tuomask
Veteran
portfolio
Tuomas Kankola
Tampere, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke

Same here. While the tech demos we've seen in the last few days have been amazing, all I can think of is the staggering amount of assets each of them requires.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

I think we will probably see the formation of a new company and new form of business model where actors will probably finance the cost of digitizing themselves in some format. Then when a game company, or other, needs an actor for a game, they will go to an agency and pay for a digital actor, which will come with their digital form and the real actor to voice it.

So then it won't be like for every single game coming out, you have to hire a new actor, digitize them, animate them and whatnot. But rather, we will see alot of the same digital actors be used in different games, across different companies, the way film works with actors.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Ballo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Joe Tuscany
Character Development/Senior Character Modeler
United Kingdom

Awesome tech. The female is highly perfect. Could be expensive/slower if you get scan data from actors, but bioware or konami is actually doing it. Yes, of course, the tech is for top notch companies and hyper realistic games, but like other tech that we usually see in actual games.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
Jules123
Expert
portfolio
Julian Bushell
Non-Multiplex Cinema
Croydon, United Kingdom

So in games, I'll be soon running around with my big uzi blowing their heads off. I'm gonna suffer from PTSD!

It's just as well most game storylines suck and I don't become too emotionally involved with the characters.

Jules

Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmage
I think we will probably see the formation of a new company and new form of business model where actors will probably finance the cost of digitizing themselves in some format. Then when a game company, or other, needs an actor for a game, they will go to an agency and pay for a digital actor, which will come with their digital form and the real actor to voice it..

I wonder will they update them digital version as the real actors get older, or would they keep the digital ones looking young forever. Would we get tired of say James Bond looking the same in movies every year?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
That looked amazing!
Yeah I loved the look of the skin. The animation looked very careful, would have been nice to see a more expressive performance. Looks like valley crossing is on the way.

Thread Closed share thread