IGN: Oblivion VFX (How they used In camera FX to avoid Green Screen)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
IGN: Oblivion VFX (How they used In camera FX to avoid Green Screen)

Quote:
"Go behind-the-scenes in this exclusive featurette to discover the Sky Tower - a home built at 3,000 feet above the ground. "

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/2...YWDwWw.facebook
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Love that video, it's so cool. Bringing front projection back!

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Thats a pretty neat idea! Wouldn't surprise me if one day our homes all had this sort of thing around them. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03 March 2013   #4
I posted that link in the older Oblivion thread, too.

Thought it was a really smart and cool way to do it, and it gets so much richer of a look for the effort. While I'm all for more VFX, I wouldn't envy anyone having to deal with all those beautiful surfaces in a composite (which I'm sure they did in many shots anyway).

As I said in the other thread, they may have completely spoiled the movie for me, but I have to go just to sit and stare at it.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
I have always felt that people get so caught up in CG that they forget that other technologies continue to advance also. The quality of screens and projectors today should make front projection, or just have any real digital screen behind them, look seamless. It's better for the actors too, I would imagine. FX artists still get to create everything that goes on those screens, so it is not like work would be lost.

Robotics is another one. Imagine when the monsters are really there with the actors (and don't have to look like dudes in rubber suits)
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by teruchan: Robotics is another one. Imagine when the monsters are really there with the actors (and don't have to look like dudes in rubber suits)

I think Del Toro's approach of digitally augmented suits and animatronics is definitely a cool one. I think when a creature gets beyond the range of movement possible, go full CG, but if you can otherwise get something in front of the camera and then add to it, it gives it a great flavor.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
That.
Was.
AWESOME!!!.

A little olde school mixed with some new.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
It's a great look, but to be able to do front projection you need to:

1/ lock what goes on the screens in advance of the shoot which means agreeing designs/content up front and (in the case of Oblivion) mount a plate unit shoot ahead of production start
2/ design the set around the placement of projectors and allow for joins in the screens
3/ have a DP who is on board with the restrictions in lighting that the exposure in the screens will impose - even the best digital projectors don't get that bright - certainly nowhere near as bright as real daylight - so it'll be that much harder to get the stop on the FG. Digital cameras like the Alexa make this a lot easier, but even so, it's not that easy
4/ maintain an on-set playback crew that's totally integrated with the rest of the shoot crew
5/ agree not to change stuff after the fact - I've lost count of the number of times that we've had to fix/replace translights that turned out to not be right in editorial. Would have been easier just to go blue.

Oblivion is the ideal case as the view out the window is pretty uniform (sky at diff times of day) throughout. More difficult with something like a cityscape. Looking forwards to seeing the finished result.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Ok, yeah sure, cool vid bro, what-evs...

The real story is the dudes STACHE!

Old 03 March 2013   #10
This is beautiful! I love how it uses 'natural' light to light the interiors. I have always had a keen interest in Joseph Kosinski's style. I think I remember reading that he came from an arch Viz background.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Yeah, I don't buy it.

When I hear that the set is lit with the natural light being projected from the panoramic video my mind goes back to all those LOTR featurettes that suggest with their performance capture pipeline, you just film Andy Serkis with dots on his face, push a button, and a film-ready Gollum comes out of the computer.

The video light might help, but I have a feeling there is a team of lighters doing most of the hard work to make it seem like the panoramic display is affecting the lighting in the scene. And they probably don't appreciate being dismissed so flippantly.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
"...a quality that just can't be faked."

That's funny on so many levels.

The other choice one was from Cruise saying it helps an actor not having to act. Brilliant!

Old 03 March 2013   #13
I wonder, could scotchlite reflect back all the light from a modern laser projector? They're on the order of 5-10 times brighter than current projectors, it could make something like this work even better.

Also I don't doubt that the process has been simplified for a 3 minute video, but I don't see why it's invalid..of course there will still be post work and other things involved, but whatever you can get in-camera or even get you "closer" to the final in-camera is always a plus, IMO.

When used well I don't see why this technique can't work. The front projection scenes from 2001 still hold up, I think.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
huh, I knew something was different and more "natural" looking about this film's lighting. of course part of that is color grading choices, but over all it feels much more appealing to my eyes.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Zarathustra: "...a quality that just can't be faked."

That's funny on so many levels.

The other choice one was from Cruise saying it helps an actor not having to act. Brilliant!

I honestly see nothing wrong with Cruise's comment. I would assume that any visual aid an actor can get will only help immerse themselves into the role and setting. To that end it would become less about acting, and more about REacting to the scenes unfolding around you.

I also agree with what hypercube said. Anything is better than nothing imo, especially when the merits of a great movie should be judged on the acting and not the effects.

Thread Closed share thread