CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Belmont, USA
Sculpting/Modeling General & Software Question

Hi guys,

What is the best software for Sculpting/Modeling?

I've always been pretty good at traditional drawing - though i've never really been trained nor am I a professional artist and have not really studied human anatomy (though it's hard for me to draw something out of nothing, however, i'm pretty good if i have a reference to look at)... does sculpting/modeling require you of being a top notch traditional artist? or can one get better by simply practicing to sculpt/model with a software? my goal is character sculpting/modeling (but not for professional purposes; more for personal enjoyment and as a hobby)

I'm currently getting into Poser since it's a nice gateway and a quick way of being able to come up with something decent... while learning modeling/sculpting character from a higher end software.

What are some of the better software for sculpting/modeling? Something that is high end, but also easy to use.

I know the gnomon school uses zbrush and i have seen glimpses of the software through google. Its clay platform seems like a more natural way of modeling/sculpting... but i've also heard a lot about mudbox.... for character modeling/sculpting, what software would you guys recommend? and i know these days, a lot of your work can be imported/exported to other software to do other jobs, so i'm asking purely from the modeling and sculpting aspect.

Is it true that it's better to model/sculpt the character in zbrush, and do the texture in mudbox? or how about software such as maya and 3dstudiomax?

And which software is better for animation? which has a better workflow and easier mechanics?

sorry if this is too much questions all at once and thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Always Learning
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland
Lots of questions there. I've used Mudbox and ZBrush for sculpting. Mud is a bit faster to learn, but ZBrush does a lot more which is one reason it takes longer to learn. ZBrush is also cheaper with free updates (usually at least two upgrades a year) and isn't neglected by the developers. They constantly raise the bar with some great additions to the program.
Either program will allow you to export your work to May, Max etc.
I like to learn.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Since Zbrush works differently than any of the other 3d software, if you are new but have a traditional art background, I'd start there. It'll be far easier for you to learn it before you learn the rest of it. I've heard people who don't really know how the other software does stuff, have an oddly easier time working in Zbrush. Not sure if that is a general consensus, but I'd seen it to be true.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
James Wayne
Quebec, Canada
I'm with pipdixel. Coming from a traditional modelling program like Max or Maya, ZBrush might take getting used to. If on the other hand you are starting with ZBrush, you should find it easier/quicker to pick up.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
CGSociety Member
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia
Please read the sticky in this same forum. We don't allow SW vs SW for a very good, long proven set of reasons.
"As an online CG discussion grows longer, the probability of the topic being shifted to subsidies approaches 1"

Free Maya Nodes
Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
True, but I kinda feel like that sort of stuff has died down in the last few years. I might just not care what I'm using anymore
Thread Closed share thread