Ender's Game: First look at the Battle Room

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Oh and the suit is a bit Tron-styled, but then again it's Ben Procter and probably Neville Page on the design team, can't wait to see all their stuff.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Bean's series may have more action but I haven't read those, got somewhat bored by the endless stream of less and less interesting sequels.

Bean's first book is along the same timeline as Ender's Game so there's a fair amount of action, it's the events you know plus some interesting bits happening behind the scenes. Very worth the read IMO.

At one point Card talked about making the film more of a "buddy pic", combining Ender's and Bean's stories into one film. It doesn't sound like that's the way they've ended up going, however.

There's definitely a lot of places this could go wrong but with Card actively involved I'm hoping it makes more good choices than bad ones.

Old 05 May 2013   #18
First actual trailer arrives:

HD: http://youtu.be/vP0cUBi4hwE

embed:

Hey..

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Did they just show what I think they showed?

Old 05 May 2013   #19
Probably, but unless you read the books you don't know what it is until you see the movie

Though stuff does get pretty spoilery in trailers these days. For Oblivion there were TV spots shown all the time that had the shot of the space station thing blowing up, which seemed like a spoiler before I even saw the movie.

Old 05 May 2013   #20
Oblivion trailers did not show

Spoiler:
the inside of the Tet; and while it was a pretty obvious thing to do, I was still saying to myself in the theater, "don't you dare skip this"

Also, this movie's been in the making for like 20+ years altogether. Maybe we'll see Forever War someday, too?

Old 05 May 2013   #21
Spoiler:
The worst thing the Oblivion trailers did was show Morgan Freeman and well, any of those folks. Even if it was pretty well telegraphed in the movie itself, I mean, come on. I guessed from the trailers and then in about the first 10 mins of the movie it became pretty obvious, especially how ham handed the whole thing with Sally being SO cheerful. AAaaannyway.

It's funny, after Ender being such a staple for so long, I kind of wonder if any of the plot twists can be as surprising, even if you haven't read the book, is some of this stuff just super obvious nowadays, or will people still be like "whoa"?

Old 05 May 2013   #22
Spoiler:
There's nothing in Oblivion any half-assed SF fan can not guess 10 minutes in advance of it happening... It's still an enjoyable movie for the visuals and some of the acting and the music and such, but there's nothing new story wise in there and thus nothing to spoil

Originally Posted by hypercube: It's funny, after Ender being such a staple for so long, I kind of wonder if any of the plot twists can be as surprising

It's a very old book, the target demographic wasn't even born when it was released and talked about. Today's teenage to 20some movie goers probably haven't even heard about it, although of course anyone can open wikipedia to read it all...

Old 05 May 2013   #23
Editing this post so it no longer contains any spoilers.

Last edited by Michael32766 : 05 May 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Michael32766: ...

Do you really need to post spoilers?

Old 05 May 2013   #25
Oh look, it only took 15 producers to make this. Jus' sayin'.

Old 05 May 2013   #26
Originally Posted by Artbot: Oh look, it only took 15 producers to make this. Jus' sayin'.

Well Transformers took 14 producers, but I know for a fact that in the beginning there were only two going door-to-door for the pitches (neither of them was Steven Spielberg, or there would have been only one pitch required. lol.)

What's also true though is that the Producer line up these days is almost like a game of Magic the Gathering... you "tap" a producer to get certain things.

For starters, you tap the card labelled "Steven Spielberg" to automatically get Paramount or Universal backing. You also get the enhancement called "Tightened Vision".

You tap another card named "Michael Bay" to get bonus to cost reduction and deductions in production time while getting the enhancement called Digital Domain (or at least that was true back then). Also adds +50% live action content and real explosions for all VFX. If Michael Bay is in play, he also serves as a 50/50 director with Critic-proof ability.

And so on...

So while it may seem odd, or maybe a bit off-putting to see so many Producers on a film, they are kinda important. Obviously not ALL important. But 10 - 15 seems par for the course on major pictures.

Of course they get certain share of the pie, and one can argue the size of that, but that's another story.

Old 05 May 2013   #27
15 is still excessive. Half of them are executive producers though, just meaning "people getting a cut", but still, sheesh guys.

At least there's only one writer, that's usually much more troubling when that count gets too high. (His involvement with X-Men Origins: Wolverine is more frightening)

Old 05 May 2013   #28
The trailer looks really cool. I love that we get Kingsley as well, should be a treat if the script is up to it.

Old 05 May 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: It's a very old book, the target demographic wasn't even born when it was released and talked about. Today's teenage to 20some movie goers probably haven't even heard about it, although of course anyone can open wikipedia to read it all...

Whaaa? I dunno about that. I was under the impression that this was one of the most widely read science fiction novels of the past 25 years, if not the most. I'm a 20 something and Ender was still on summer reading lists when I was in school. I think a lot of people that don't even read genre fiction are aware of it.

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Last edited by Jussslic : 05 May 2013 at 01:36 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #30
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Do you really need to post spoilers?

Sorry. I have no idea where the spoiler thingy button is.
I have a feeling they haven't followed the book very closely anyway.

Thread Closed share thread