Ender's Game: First look at the Battle Room

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Ender's Game: First look at the Battle Room

The old threads seem to be dead, so trying a new one for this.

So, a spherical Battle Room, sure, but with windows? Seeing space outside could be very disorienting/distracting, but wouldn't it also inherently give an "up" and "down" to the room, which was part of the point of it being blank? Maybe the rotation of the school will throw things around a bit?

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...-155338510.html

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Interesting to see the poster!

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Originally Posted by hypercube: Seeing space outside could be very disorienting/distracting, but wouldn't it also inherently give an "up" and "down" to the room, which was part of the point of it being blank?

Maybe it was just hammed up to be a bit more epic, since it's a movie poster.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the liberties they took in changing the design. It seems like a way to try and make it visually "cooler" without thinking about the effect it has on the concept of the game itself.

As written, Battle School should feel completely enclosed and a bit claustrophobic - obviously the idea of how orientation in the battle room is perceived is really important too. It seems like these things are compromised by opening it up like this.

The flash suit design is cool though. I'm really apprehensive about this project, but I also just re-read the book this week so my emotional investment in it not sucking has been renewed to some extent.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Not a big fan of muscular brutes showcased in so many games nowadays, but that dude looks like you could fart him out in space through that window.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by McNistor: Not a big fan of muscular brutes showcased in so many games nowadays, but that dude looks like you could fart him out in space through that window.

The character is very, very, young. I think Ender starts the book at like 6 ish... I'm sure they'll age him a bit for the film, but still... the character on the poster is probably no older than 10-13.

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Last edited by Jussslic : 03 March 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
He's a lot older and taller than he's supposed to be. I get that they were never going to cast a bunch of 6 year olds, but they cast a lot more liberally on the older side than I think they should have. The story fundamentally changes when you make them teenagers.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Honestly, I never thought 'This would make an awesome movie!" when reading Enders Game. The others in the Ender series have much more potential for film-but the first novel is so cerebral. So much of it takes place through the characters inner thoughts and how he personally, as a child, processes whats going on.

That, and I don't know how they are going to handle the ending. It works in the book, because you see it from Enders point of view. In a film, that ending would be pretty boring, so you know (or assume...) they are going to 'Hollywood it up', and therefore remove the punch it had.

Ill definitely watch this, because I loved the book-but I would much rather see The Forever Wars, or the Foundation series on the screen. But still, if this goes well, I can see those other books being picked up! And who knows, perhaps we will even get a more seriously toned Starship Troopers out of it?

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Originally Posted by McNistor: Not a big fan of muscular brutes showcased in so many games nowadays, but that dude looks like you could fart him out in space through that window.

Thats the point of Ender. He is smaller and weaker than everyone else, but because of that he has to rely on strategy and his wits.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Originally Posted by hypercube:
So, a spherical Battle Room, sure, but with windows? Seeing space outside could be very disorienting/distracting, but wouldn't it also inherently give an "up" and "down" to the room, which was part of the point of it being blank? Maybe the rotation of the school will throw things around a bit?

It's the "wrong" down, though.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Pyke: Honestly, I never thought 'This would make an awesome movie!" when reading Enders Game. The others in the Ender series have much more potential for film-but the first novel is so cerebral. So much of it takes place through the characters inner thoughts and how he personally, as a child, processes whats going on.

That, and I don't know how they are going to handle the ending. It works in the book, because you see it from Enders point of view. In a film, that ending would be pretty boring, so you know (or assume...) they are going to 'Hollywood it up', and therefore remove the punch it had.

Ill definitely watch this, because I loved the book-but I would much rather see The Forever Wars, or the Foundation series on the screen. But still, if this goes well, I can see those other books being picked up! And who knows, perhaps we will even get a more seriously toned Starship Troopers out of it?

After listening to the audiobook, the author said something about not being able to soley tell the story of Ender on screen, without having to tell the story of Ender's shadow as well.
So if I understand it correctly, the movie will incorporate 2 books (he also talked at great length about how important it was for him to have Ender be the age of 6, and not older, wich is funny after seeing who is actually playing him )

Old 03 March 2013   #12
In fairness, child actors are generally terrible, and the guy playing Ender does look very young for his age.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Yeah, it's almost impossible to find great child actors, especially one that has to portray the range of emotion that Ender will be going through.

As for the battle room, doesn't bother me all that much, remember that the audience needs to be able to immediately recognize what is happening. It is Ender who should be struggling, not us.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Pyke: Honestly, I never thought 'This would make an awesome movie!" when reading Enders Game. The others in the Ender series have much more potential for film-but the first novel is so cerebral.

I couldn't disagree more
The first book is the only one with action scenes at all - the Formic invasion scenes, the Battle Room scenes, and depending on the visual direction, even the simulated space battles are ideal for a blockbuster movie. That's the reason they've made the Battle Room like this, try to imagine how it will look like with a free moving camera and kids floating all around in an IMAX theater.

Speaker for the Dead, now that's different, and then it only gets more and more philosophical.

Bean's series may have more action but I haven't read those, got somewhat bored by the endless stream of less and less interesting sequels.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
Originally Posted by hypercube: So, a spherical Battle Room, sure, but with windows? Seeing space outside could be very disorienting/distracting, but wouldn't it also inherently give an "up" and "down" to the room, which was part of the point of it being blank? Maybe the rotation of the school will throw things around a bit?

Windows are to make it more spectacular in 3D, I'd guess.

But don't be too worried about this part, the production blog has Gavin Hood quoting the book a lot:
"On November 1 – the enemy’s gate is down."
"Until then, keep your “knees up” and thank you for all your support so far."

Either he's shamelessly misguiding all the fans, or he does pay attention to these things.

I'd be a little more worried about the movie format's necessities, like compressing several years' worth of events into a few months at most or changing Gaff to such a much older character. It also looks like the kid playing Bonzo is quite ugly.
Then there's Card talking about not keeping the big twist at the end hidden from the audience, as in his opinion it would create more tension, seeing how Ender has no idea. Not sure if that'd work, in the book that scene (actually, both scenes) were quite powerful.

Thread Closed share thread