what music do you listen to when working on CG stuff?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #46
Usually game or film soundtracks. Not the singy stuff. The orchestral stuff.

Right now Im listening to Inceptions OST.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam ,,,,

Old 03 March 2013   #47
Oh god and how could I forget THIS PLAYLIST, it's a HUGE playlist of various game themes and soundtracks from every era and some remixed versions.
It's so nice when you finish a project and suddenly the Final Fantasy Victory Theme comes up

Old 03 March 2013   #48
Originally Posted by Zykras: Oh god and how could I forget THIS PLAYLIST, it's a HUGE playlist of various game themes and soundtracks from every era and some remixed versions.
It's so nice when you finish a project and suddenly the Final Fantasy Victory Theme comes up

Great music, thank you. Games have amazing music sometimes.

Old 03 March 2013   #49
Nothing, haven't listened to music while working for at least 4+ years now, never crosses my mind while working.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 03 March 2013   #50
Quote: Oh god and how could I forget THIS PLAYLIST

Thanks a lot for this. Some real gems there.

Old 03 March 2013   #51
I heard this song today, and probably listened to it at least 50 times. I know some of your here will like it too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nzGfMla-k

Old 03 March 2013   #52
Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Bachman Turner Overdrive........

It's all good.

Old 03 March 2013   #53
for some reason I work best to Baroque opera [preferably Philippe Jaroussky] + soundtracks and musicals

Old 03 March 2013   #54
When working on critical aspects that require creative thought, it's actually detrimental to listen to music that has a distinct melody/rhythm/lyrics, because those elements will distract your brain. A lot of respected artists (such as Craig Mullins, Sparth, and others) have publicly stated that they no longer listen to music when working on anything that's important.

Music can inspire, but once you start working on something (meaning you already have a good idea to execute), it's better to not listen to music, or only listen to music that don't disrupt your thoughts, such as soft ambient music. There are lots of great ambient washes/drones of music used in video games and films, and there are also musical artists that specialize in ambient music.

If you need inspiration for ideas, listen to music to get inspired when you are in the conceptual stage of your idea. Once an idea is established, allow your brain its full bandwidth to execute your ideas.

Some people tune out the music when they are concentrating on something, because their brains are trying to shut down all distractions, and when that happens, why bother listen to music that is disruptive when doing important work--your brain will just tune it out. But often, because the music is constantly disrupting your brain, you can't even build up enough momentum in your thoughts so you can really focus. This is why ambient music is great for when you are working--it provides a stimulating soundscape that is evolving, but doesn't disrupt your thoughts.

But if you're working on non-mission critical elements, then go wild and listen to whatever. Essentially, when you are working on critical elements that will make or break your image (the creative aspects), is when you need to be careful about distracting your brain.

Last edited by Lunatique : 03 March 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #55
I think it depends on the individual.
They say Charles Dickens used to write with a room full of noisy kids.

I dont have trouble concentrating with music in the background.

Talking is a different matter.

Too much silence can be distracting as well.

Old 03 March 2013   #56
drink down like 2 tablespoons of good quality green tea

then put this on

http://kindzadza.bandcamp.com/album/nano-ninja

lots of shit done

Old 03 March 2013   #57
Originally Posted by Lunatique: When working on critical aspects that require creative thought, it's actually detrimental to listen to music ... etc

I actually agree with your post. I find that when I really have to think about something, IE research specific workflows, or troubleshoot technical issues, I turn my music off entirely. Menial tasks however, texturing, modelling (after the base has been set up), etc, I prefer to listen to some music, helps pass the time.

Old 03 March 2013   #58
Usually I like to listen roots reggae
also stuff like rock ska, there's this band pepper I really like, if you like sublime's stuff you'll surely like it too...

Last edited by manuqc : 03 March 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #59
Emile Waldteufel is my new passion.

Old 03 March 2013   #60
http://rain.simplynoise.com/

or my own stuff
https://soundcloud.com/mathiasmarkovits

Thread Closed share thread