CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
Ahmed Adel Mahmoud
Cairo, Egypt
Send a message via Yahoo to ahmedadel0077
is it worth it?

i am sure you get what i mean, is it worth the pain? , specially with the amount of talent and competition out there?

i am just confused and need some honest answers
Thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
CGSociety Staff
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
I am confused as you are. What exactly are you talking about?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Lars Oomen
3D Technical Artist
Calgary, Canada
Well I don' think he is talking about bodybuilding? If he is talking about CG then I don't understand the pain part. As far as I know no pain is involved with CG, its actually pretty safe if you are worried about being harmed.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Freelance Animator/Rigger
Brian Horgan
Dublin, Ireland
I'm guessing 'pain' is a reference to the personal sacrifice, struggle and effort involved in getting to a level of ability/knowledge that allows you to compete on a professional level. As someone who deals with actual physical pain much of the time I find study and work a good distraction, it's almost a form of therapy for me, so I can't directly agree that that's really the case but I think I get where you are coming from.

To be blunt though, the only person who can really answer that question for you is yourself. Others can give you their opinions and discuss their experiences but that has no real bearing on anybody else as we are all different mentally, culturally, emotionally etc. If the work you do doesn't give you the sense of satisfaction that you need to make up for the late nights etc then maybe you do need to consider other options. Life is short and it's important to do what you enjoy if you can. All pain and no fun is not the way to go.

Just my 2c of course..
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Digital Explorer
Stanislaw Menschow
3D Artist / Developer
Brussels, Belgium
If it is such a pain for you ... no. That simple.
Passion is the key.
Miysis 3D
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Mossi Gudlaugsson
Kopavogur, Iceland
If you can't be in it for the love of it, then: No.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Master of the Bunnies
Alexis Sabatovich
Sendai, Japan
If you are doubting yourself like that, then most likely no.
Oh the pain!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Art Compiler
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
You never stated what you're trying to do. Your post is vague and overly dramatic, which is why we respond the way we do.

Take it easy. Go outside, and when you come back, have a little fun with art. If you're worried that all of your eggs are on one basket... them don't put all of your eggs in one basket! Avoid tunnel vision... just relax and be flexible you never know what niche career you'll end up in. It may not be CG, but on some cases that may work out better for you.... and who knows, maybe you'll be able to use some of that skill set anyway.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
White Zulu
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa
Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Honestly, I sometimes wonder about people getting into this field, and thinking that its anything other than a highly specialized technical profession.

Like any skilled profession, its not easy. Its not supposed to be. If it were easy, it wouldn't be a skilled profession.

Is it worth it? Yes. Being a CG Artist is worth it, because its something that I love doing-and if I didn't love doing it, I would have chosen another career path. And until I stop loving it, it will continue to be worth it.

It has put food on my table, a roof over my head, and petrol in my car. But its a job. Any job is going to be difficult to get to the top of your game. There is as much competition out there for restaurant owners and chefs, for doctors, engineers, teachers, accountants, lawyers, as there is for CG artists.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
J. Schreyer
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany
Posts: 7,983's too painfull. And dangerous. But also dramatic. And never repetitive or boring. Never1!!!1111
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
(212) 555-2368
Robert Angol
Head Of 3D
Orchard Post
London, United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to Airflow Send a message via Yahoo to Airflow
And there are Splosions, so its not good.
*(GOZER)-During the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants, it chose the form of a giant SLOAR...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine
Anything is a technical profession at some point. You become crafty at some point, producing something with less efforts and learning. There is less exploration at that point, but it's what makes life easier. I also agree it's a good field in terms of pay, compared to other fields (for the time being). Maybe I'd choose skiing or something else, but would it pay the bills?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
I think your question would be more interesting if it is about whether it is worth to spend your time with something you really love but is not paid enough to survive while working something you don't like pays for your living and takes away the time to do what you like.

Most of the people will stop doing their jobs if not paid while true artists will still create regardless being paid or not. They can't stop it and this may be devastating for their financial and family situation.

I'm writing this thinking about a friend of mine who is over 50 and have been working as a freelance illustrator and designer most of his career. But in the recent years with the outsourcing wave, company mergers, and falling prices, his clients no longer provide the same amount of work and pay as before and in order to survive he is thinking about changing to entirely different profession like a bus driver for example. It is really sad and I don't know what advice to give him - he seems to be advertising himself well but it is obvious that the available jobs are not enough and the offering is overwhelmingly higher than the demand.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
BoBo ZoBo
Creative Director
Miami, USA
Honestly - only you can answer that.
For many people here, doing what they love is always worth it... considering the alternative.

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine
Originally Posted by RossRoss
Most of the people will stop doing their jobs if not paid while true artists will still create regardless being paid or not. They can't stop it and this may be devastating for their financial and family situation.

Still I think most artists hope earning money, otherwise they are just hobbyists. Market dictates jobs, and what's in demand, gets artists' attention. Most art work was done commercially. Also what matters is the area has future or not. People sometimes indeed work without pay but they still hope making money one day, because the area they choose has a bright future at that moment. I'm not sure we can say a true artist is someone who works even if he doesn't get pay and because he loves it so much. It can be amateur also with this attitude.
Thread Closed share thread