Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zykras
Wow. Let's change Gru to Hitler.

I knew someone is going to that route. Which is basically one of my point.

It's like its okay to make Rambo shoots everybody else (forgetting the viewpoint of those that get shot, of course), but a movie on 9-11 is always 'too soon'.

My point is that everybody (or, at least, a lot of people) thinks the use of taser in that context is okay, but those who prefer to look at larger frame of mind, realize that is isn't. Its tasteless.

Anyway, you can change 'taser' to 'drones'.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...id-with-drones/

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...dget&id=9779661

Moral or the point? Ha-ha-other people got hurt is funny-ha-ha is not funny if you look at the larger picture.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

I still remember when I saw Sergio Pablos pitch for the first one it looked 100 times better than final.
Humor, characters everything was top notch, then they made everything in the final movie mediocre.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 03-20-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Zykras
Digital Explorer

portfolio
Stanislaw Menschow
3D Artist / Developer
Miysis
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
It's like its okay to make Rambo shoots everybody else (forgetting the viewpoint of those that get shot, of course), but a movie on 9-11 is always 'too soon'.

My point is that everybody (or, at least, a lot of people) thinks the use of taser in that context is okay, but those who prefer to look at larger frame of mind, realize that is isn't. Its tasteless.

It was just to show how random your comparison was.
Things like 9/11, rape, etc. are symbols that only have one specific (bad) meaning. Like Hitler.
A taser however is actually a non-violent weapon (at least that's what it was designed for). That's how it was used in the trailer, and that's the reason it doesn't trigger emotions in most people who watch the trailer.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
grrinc
Expert

Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zykras
It was just to show how random your comparison was.
Things like 9/11, rape, etc. are symbols that only have one specific (bad) meaning. Like Hitler.
A taser however is actually a non-violent weapon (at least that's what it was designed for). That's how it was used in the trailer, and that's the reason it doesn't trigger emotions in most people who watch the trailer.

One last point before I back-off from this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_safety_issues

http://electronicvillage.blogspot.c...ted-states.html

To make a point short, long long time ago, in Korean War, I think, the army found out that whilee draft cause (or actually, force) people to join the military, it doesn't mean they will shoot enemy combatant. I think the rate of people willing to shoot another human being was around 40% or something. Google around. So the army try to find out how to increase it. Human shaped target and other 'tactics' later, the number rose to 80%.

Ever wonder why after Sandy Hook, the NRA complain about 'video games'. Government / army sponsored games are NOT on the list, while some obscure game does.

Ever wonder why kid smoking in movies are bad (even if it legal for kid to do so) but gun totting Kick Ass Girl (what was her name?) is okay?

Long story short, desensitization of violence through movies are bad, specially out of context such as these (the taser used for fun gag, and not because the minion are threatening her). The gender is one issue, the taser is another. People who look at larger viewpoint doesn't like it because someone is trying to make violence via non-fatal weapon is nothing. Its not 'nothing', because its painful, and still could lead to death.

Its like the case of using pepper spray on sitting student last year(?).

Anyway, it seems that people are trying to make the use of non-lethal (so they said) weapon on non aggressive people as fun or okay. Its not. And it wont be long before government came upon 'occupiers' with that supersonic device that heat your body up, and that because the rest of 'other people' has been desensitization on use of such weapon on non aggressive people.

I don't have time for larger rant and I doesn't want to be seen as tin foil hat wearing people. Anyway, there is a lot of people out that that read a lot of deconstruct views or 'framing'. And they don't like this, because its a sign of things to come.

Anyway, I'm backing out from this thread, but feel free to reply, as I still read it. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
Zykras
Digital Explorer

portfolio
Stanislaw Menschow
3D Artist / Developer
Miysis
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:
Anyway, it seems that people are trying to make the use of non-lethal (so they said) weapon on non aggressive people as fun or okay. Its not.

This line bothers me most. I'm pretty sure they didn't use a taser-like device in this trailer to "make the use of non-lethal (so they said) weapon on non aggressive people as fun or okay".

However, I understand your concerns and don't want to downplay the taser problem in the US. I just think you're defending your cause in the wrong place.
But you're right, we shouldn't derail this thread. You can pm me if you have more thoughts on this subject

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #22
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
I knew someone is going to that route. Which is basically one of my point.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...id-with-drones/

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...dget&id=9779661

Moral or the point? Ha-ha-other people got hurt is funny-ha-ha is not funny if you look at the larger picture.

But.... how else was she going to capture Gru in a way that still implied a "police capture"? And once she does that once.. and the minions come in what was she supposed to use to capture them too?

It's a gag! You need to do SOMETHING once the action set piece falls in a certain way.

Reminds me of all the people who felt TDKR was making a statement about Occupy Wall Street. It "lifts" elements from Occupy Wall Street as a conflict... but is used to tell a story that isn't real.

That's all this is.. I'm not going to taser someone after seeing Despicable Me 2...

Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #23
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Wow, this really took a turn fast.

How is tasering someone any worse than the endless physical abuse from the first movie or a great many of these movies? It's slapstick, I really don't see this is as some sort of sinister agenda.

If she hit him on the head with a giant mallet, would that satisfy you morally? How about saying it's okay for kids to stuff someone in a trunk and drive their car into the ocean?

Did anyone say anything when the guys on Jackass or Youtube taser themselves and each other for giggles? And those are real live people!

Long way to say Lighten Up Francis, but really, not everything is a dark plot or politically charged, and some people can actually see things without being hypnotized.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #24
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Alright, lighten up with the lightening up! I never said anyone was going to replicate the behavior or that they couldn't tell fantasy from reality. People are so quick to get their panties in a bunch when someone suggests that it might be better if we didn't make so much light of potentially dangerous behavior. Yay freedom!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #25
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Alright, lighten up with the lightening up! I never said anyone was going to replicate the behavior or that they couldn't tell fantasy from reality. People are so quick to get their panties in a bunch when someone suggests that it might be better if we didn't make so much light of potentially dangerous behavior. Yay freedom!

My panties are un-twisted just fine, thank you.

My original concern really was: "You don't like tasers? Then what gag would you suggest?"

I always find this interesting.... People don't like this gag?.. Yeah?... well make a suggestion.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #26
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Do those panties in vending machines come out pre-bunched?

For me it's mainly a thing of, if you draw the line at a certain place, that's fine, all I'm getting at is if it starts to be something truly subjective, where do you stop?

It would unravel the whole thing, considering how much zapping and exploding and punching and potential maiming there is in the series. Sharks, missiles, ray guns, exploding carnival games, hell, look at what the Minions do to each other or have done to them.

They picked a general level of crazy cartoon violence for their world, and they seem to be sticking to it, I don't think this suddenly goes too far just because a thing exists. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #27
Marcia58

It's actually a fun! You need to do Some thing after the actions arranged bit is catagorized in a particular approach.

Nevertheless, I understand your own considerations and do not desire to play down the particular taser issue in the Us all. I merely you might be protecting your own cause from the completely wrong location.

However are right, all of us should not derail this kind of thread. You can evening us when you have a lot more applying for grants this kind of issue

Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #28
fletchman
Just another WannaBe

portfolio
Andrew Fletcher
IT INfrastructure Consultant
Singapore, Singapore

Quote:
I can separate it, but I think the person I'm quoting was talking about real life (as in prefer taser than pipe).

But a person must also understand context.

Let's change 'taser' to 'rape'. What if, James Bond, in his mission, instead of consentually sleep with women, he rapes them instead. Do we still think its acceptable because its a movie and not real life?

I think the use of taser and the context in the movie is tasteless. Which is why I agree with ArtBot. And that is my opinion, no harms done

Seriously, dude! Its a cartoon and make believe. What happened to "Taking things with a Pinch of salt"? Look, in real life what ever forms of violence a human is subjected to is a No No. But this was created for entertainment and no Cartoon character was harmed in the making of it.

Moving away from this, the Minions Rock!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #29
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

From teaser soundtrack :
I said, this looks like a job for me
So everybody just follow me
Cause we need a little controversy
Cause it feels so empty without me

Well guys ... we must admit that Eminem song was the right choice for this trailer.
Controversy ... indeed !

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchman
Moving away from this, the Minions Rock!

Yeah I would watch the film just for those little guys,.. and Gru's accent of course.

Thread Closed share thread