Google Glasses? Yes or Hell to the NO!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Pyke: So...so what do you read when you are on the toilet?

He must be one of those people who only uses his tablet.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: When dealing with a personal device's input, you need the means, and fallbacks for when the first tier means don't succeed, to hit absolutely 100%.

I don't unterstand why this doesn't exist in smartphones or even google glasses, I've been using voice recognition software for my computer for some years and you can train it to your voice and it's just INCREDIBLE how well it performs. You can write whole books with autocorrect, punctuation, etc. just by speaking. And of course manage everything from emails to google search and web navigation. After one year it works 100% even when you speak fast and don't care about pronunciation.
I'm not going to name the brand because I'm sure there many other programs who can do the same, I just don't get why this doesn't exist in smartphones yet (or is their processing-power really not enough for personal voice recognition?)

Old 03 March 2013   #33
everyone decrying wearable computing as terrible is just another iteration of 'tech phobia'

like when color tv's first came out and everyone thought they released extra amounts of radiation, so they would either hesitate to buy them or if they did, position them so they would sit really far away from them.

Or like when MP3's first came out and people thought it was lame because you were "listening to the internet", rather than whatever hot radio station was popular. Talking about MP3's when they first came out was a sure way to dismiss yourself from the gene pool by popular opinion... and you all know how that went.

I am personally stoked about wearable computing, it is the next step. Our culture is going to transition into a space where basically all the creative, technical, and business leaders of the world do all of their work in a vr space. With headset and point track spots on their limbs and fingers. They will be completely engrossed in a virtual world making movies, video games, designing buildings, managing large companies and large factories. Jame's Cameron's 'digital sets' in avatar is really just the tip of the iceberg of this, at some point every single person in a creative studio will just wear a VR headset and point tracking suit, walking around in the actual virtual world, rendered in realtime, manipulating the world through hand gestures and popup UI's on everything. It will do away with 'workstations' and everyone working at a desk on a screen. It will rather be like everyone is working collectively in an alternate dimension, manipulating (virtual) matter and energy just through the will of their mind and hand movements like magic.

It is inevitable that the gap between the sillicone mind and the human creative mind will become less and less divided until they essentially become one.

Seriously would you all stop being so old and un-nerdy I thought this was a CG forum whats with this 'down to earth', 'cool', 'realistic', 'nostalgic' attitude here?

"arrghee let me tell you son, back in my day I had to walk 10 feet to my laptop to use it, up hill, both ways, you don't know what kind of luxury you live in now with your brain connected to the internet at all times"

Last edited by techmage : 03 March 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Originally Posted by techmage: Seriously would you all stop being so old and un-nerdy I thought this was a CG forum whats with this 'down to earth', 'cool', 'realistic', 'nostalgic' attitude here?

Because your description of the future is a naive tech-romantic view that I really understand (I love the thought of it myself), but the reality is different.
What you describe would actually be a horrible world once you really had to live in it and not just daydream about the "cool future stuff".

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Originally Posted by techmage: everyone decrying wearable computing as terrible is just another iteration of 'tech phobia'

like when color tv's first came out and everyone thought they released extra amounts of radiation, so they would either hesitate to buy them or if they did, position them so they would sit really far away from them.

Or like when MP3's first came out and people thought it was lame because you were "listening to the internet", rather than whatever hot radio station was popular. Talking about MP3's when they first came out was a sure way to dismiss yourself from the gene pool by popular opinion... and you all know how that went.

I am personally stoked about wearable computing, it is the next step. Our culture is going to transition into a space where basically all the creative, technical, and business leaders of the world do all of their work in a vr space. With headset and point track spots on their limbs and fingers. They will be completely engrossed in a virtual world making movies, video games, designing buildings, managing large companies and large factories. Jame's Cameron's 'digital sets' in avatar is really just the tip of the iceberg of this, at some point every single person in a creative studio will just wear a VR headset and point tracking suit, walking around in the actual virtual world, rendered in realtime, manipulating the world through hand gestures and popup UI's on everything. It will do away with 'workstations' and everyone working at a desk on a screen. It will rather be like everyone is working collectively in an alternate dimension, manipulating (virtual) matter and energy just through the will of their mind and hand movements like magic.

It is inevitable that the gap between the sillicone mind and the human creative mind will become less and less divided until they essentially become one.

Seriously would you all stop being so old and un-nerdy I thought this was a CG forum whats with this 'down to earth', 'cool', 'realistic', 'nostalgic' attitude here?

"arrghee let me tell you son, back in my day I had to walk 10 feet to my laptop to use it, up hill, both ways, you don't know what kind of luxury you live in now with your brain connected to the internet at all times"

A good example of how a true and apparently young nerd thinks. Values the illusion and mantle of being cool over that of simply being a human without the need to put everyone into a judgmental cool versus uncool box.

Other than that, that post is plain dopey imho.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
never mind

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Originally Posted by techmage: everyone decrying wearable computing as terrible is just another iteration of 'tech phobia'

I wouldn't call it "tech phobia" per se. I just don't think that most of us want to be part of an expensive market test. As-is, Google Glasses looks dorky, not futuristic. This Borg inspired device plays great at tech conventions only. The average person would probably look like a massive douche wearing it. Crude to say, but probably true.

For it to be embraced by the larger audience, it'd have to be integrated far better with preexisting technology (ie. regular glasses). Sometimes, the best tech is the one you don't notice. It's just there. That's why we don't think twice about our refrigerators. That's why smart phones were so easily embraced. If something looks like a gimmick, it'll be treated like one. If something looks like something you're already used to or is an iterative upgrade, more people will probably give it a chance.

I don't think that people are afraid of advances in tech. I just don't think that anybody wants to be an early adopter of a tech that doesn't look mature. How many of you have bought something that you thought was going to be "the next big thing" only to see it flop? How many of you are quick to experience that sting again? 39 years on this planet have taught me that early adoption doesn't always pay off. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm taking a wait and see approach. Let everybody else suffer the growing pains of 1st generation tech.

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Nah, not technophobia. I think the idea is cool, there are just so many questions that we can't answer yet because this type of integration hasn't existed yet. In the ear is one thing, we had headphones forever, but having something in your eyesight all the time. I'm very intrigued, not saying good or bad yet, we just don't know.

Originally Posted by techmage: "arrghee let me tell you son, back in my day I had to walk 10 feet to my laptop to use it, up hill, both ways, you don't know what kind of luxury you live in now with your brain connected to the internet at all times"
Actually I was thinking more like, "Back in my day we could walk to the mailbox without getting out of breath."
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Originally Posted by Pyke: So...so what do you read when you are on the toilet?

I recommend you this

Old 03 March 2013   #40
unless my mind is blown within a 5-10 minute trial at Best Buy... my expectations are pretty low.

Also, like many things in America, state laws regarding recording conversations come in two flavors, Single Party (as long as one person knows, it is cool) and more restrictive. Even though you have these obvious, dorky (at least to my current aesthetic tastes) Picard-as-Borg things on your face, I think it is a matter of time before widespread loosely legislative issues arise. Ironically, the "cooler", liberal, blue states like CA are the ones with more restrictive conversation recording laws.

I also feel as if, right now, "cool"/"hipster" glasses are pretty darn bulky here on planet Earth. I think the capabilities are appealing, but I don't want to feel like a fashion template, failed or otherwise. If they could just make these things more ubiquitous and unobtrusive, like current common glasses, I think that would go a long way to generating more widespread interest.

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread