Google Glasses? Yes or Hell to the NO!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: I do see this as having some pretty neat applications though. Image a fireman with this glasses, in the middle of fire and smoke, feeding them information about victims locations and their vital signs. Now that would be something.

There are multiple companies developing some very cool AR systems for firefighters, and other areas have taken this sort of thing up already, there are tech goggles for skiing and snowboarding with GPS and heads up displays.

I think just like anything else, there will be good and bad, just like there are good and bad uses for everything we already have in our cell phones and are constantly carried with us.

Having your hands free and being in your line of sight will actually help a lot of the situations where people are currently morons with their phones already.

"Just like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard, if they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Old 03 March 2013   #17
I can't wait until hordes of people on Slashdot start arguing about Glass vs. the iWatch.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
There are bars already banning them.

Honestly I can see people saying it's ridiculous and they won't use it, and then in five years not being able to live without one.

"Glass- directions." - directions appear on road.

"Glass- movie times"- movie times appear before your eyes

"Glass- recipe" - cook with the recipe right there

I don't know, could see people getting hooked with the convenience.

Personally, still don't own a smart phone, so it could be a good while before I get something like this. Plus I definitely see people's hesitation with this tech, especially being able to take a photo or video at all times.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I will buy one day one if someone can write a "robocop vision" plugin for it so I can live my childhood dream at last.

And then wear them while playing light-gun games and make sure you raise your off-hand when firing!

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Along comes a new generation who grow up with it and wonder how people ever lived without it.

Sigh,
Jules

Old 03 March 2013   #21
I think this will be the blue tooth headset of 2013. It might be great when your alone, but you'll look like a pillock wearing one in a group of people. It just sends the message that your more interested in your phone than the people who are in the room with you.

-AJ

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Originally Posted by AJ1: I think this will be the blue tooth headset of 2013. It might be great when your alone, but you'll look like a pillock wearing one in a group of people. It just sends the message that your more interested in your phone than the people who are in the room with you.

-AJ

Yeah... the phrase "I saw something on youtube..." is the worst thing I heard when a group is talking. So what? Everybody has youtube. Give us some rest from the digital world.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
It will take voice rcognition to get a lot better before I'll be interested, and I mean A LOT.
Even unaccented and with great pronunciation a keyboard can't be replaced yet, and I have no intention of lobbing around glasses, their case and a bluetooth headset all the time if I already have to have a smartphone in my pockets.

I'm not adverse to the idea though, and am glad someone's doing it.
The fact Google is doing it doesn't mean having to wear their glasses in the future, it means glasses in general as a personal device will become an option in the longer run.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: It will take voice rcognition to get a lot better before I'll be interested, and I mean A LOT.
Even unaccented and with great pronunciation a keyboard can't be replaced yet, and I have no intention of lobbing around glasses, their case and a bluetooth headset all the time if I already have to have a smartphone in my pockets.

I'm not adverse to the idea though, and am glad someone's doing it.
The fact Google is doing it doesn't mean having to wear their glasses in the future, it means glasses in general as a personal device will become an option in the longer run.

I am actually really impressed with google now's voice recognition. It is the first time I have seen a device understand %90 of the things I say, even when using long sentences.

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Originally Posted by hypercube: I think just like anything else, there will be good and bad.

I could not agree more, but I can't help being really pesimist about this. Of course it has a great potential, but let's face it. Even before anyone can do anything useful with it, it's gonna be full of ads and adverts. I really don't need people around me watching their facebook or tweeter while I'm talking to them. It's rude enough when they check whatsapp or whatever.

And I agree, it's not the tech's fault, but sadly, we know it's a new space brands are going to invade to get you buying shit 24/7. I think ads are way more invasive than they should be as it is...

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I am actually really impressed with google now's voice recognition. It is the first time I have seen a device understand %90 of the things I say, even when using long sentences.

So am I (nexus 4), kicks the living daylight out of dragon, siri and all else.
It's still 90% or thereabout on a good day, and SOME words, especially if you are multilingual like me, and therefore will have some names in your address book and words in your grocery shopping list, you just can't get in, and there's no option to "train" it. Not that I'd bother anyway.

When dealing with a personal device's input, you need the means, and fallbacks for when the first tier means don't succeed, to hit absolutely 100%.

I have successfully dictated an entire mail with no re-dos once. That was satisfying.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
I don't want to pass judgment before using it, but I'm not sure how great it'll be watching something from one eye. Looks good on a video, but how does it look when I'm the one wearing the glasses.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os7myNlZRUA while on topic, but I can see this happening soon.

Old 03 March 2013   #29
This is a much more real representation of Google Glass's future IMHO. Quite scary really...

http://vimeo.com/46304267#

Jules

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by Michael5188: Personally, still don't own a smart phone,

So...so what do you read when you are on the toilet?

Thread Closed share thread