Google Glasses? Yes or Hell to the NO!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Google Glasses? Yes or Hell to the NO!

Do we really need or want yet another layer of goofy gadgetry?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ants-spies.html

Old 03 March 2013   #2
like we need more crap to distract us from reality.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
I will buy one day one if someone can write a "robocop vision" plugin for it so I can live my childhood dream at last.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
This video sums up my feeling about Google Glasses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK_cdkpazjI

Especially this quote:
"Google says it is working on a spectacles-compatible version and Google Glass contact lenses are surely only years away."

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Where's the viewcube?

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I will buy one day one if someone can write a "robocop vision" plugin for it so I can live my childhood dream at last.
that or the Fallout 3 HUD along with a wrist strapped Nexus 3000.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
I guess it's illegal in many countries as it may be considered as a spy equipment.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Originally Posted by mister3d: I guess it's illegal in many countries as it may be considered as a spy equipment.

You have to explain this further, I don't see why this would be a problem with the "spy equipment" aka smartphones, etc. we have today.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Originally Posted by Zykras: You have to explain this further, I don't see why this would be a problem with the "spy equipment" aka smartphones, etc. we have today.

Practically it's more complicated. Though you can indeed shoot with mobile phones and stuff, at least in our country if they define it as a spy equipment, you may get in jail for a long time. The guy in the article might get 7 years for buying a spy camera toy from China to Kiev.

http://translate.google.com.ua/tran...ved=0CFkQ7gEwAw

Old 03 March 2013   #10
The vision in my right eye is bad so unless there's a left-eye version, it's worthless.

Even if there were, I wouldn't bother with it.. just another annoyance and I have plenty of those already.

Great for some people, I imagine, but I'm sure not in the target demographic.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Until they can more naturally integrate it with current eye wear, it's still too goofy looking. I've worn glasses for the past 30 years. That part doesn't bother me. Adding some freaky looking Borg accessory to my shades just seems extraneous. It's like wearing one coat over another. If they could give me prescription glasses that had this built-in and they didn't look like tech... Yeah. I'd be all for it. I'm an information junkie. It'd be nice to have an augmented display built into my glasses; something that communicated with my other devices. As a tacky add-on? No thanks.

My other concern is how this tech can turn into pervware. A recent Gizmodo blurb made me really worried how people could misuse this tech. I'm not saying that everybody will abuse it, but there's that potential. More so than the distractions usually associated with texting & driving, this concerns me.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Originally Posted by WoolyLoach: The vision in my right eye is bad so unless there's a left-eye version, it's worthless.

I have an astigmatism in both eyes so I get what you're saying. 3D movies don't work with me since neither eye focuses properly. This sort of tech won't work well with everybody. It, potentially, has a limited market. You can't sell it like you'd sell an iPad or smart phone.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
I'm sure they are testing this thing but even then, once it's in consumer hands how many people are going to walk into poles or stop signs because its throwing off their depth perception. Get your smart phone ready.

Originally Posted by sheepfactory: I will buy one day one if someone can write a "robocop vision" plugin for it so I can live my childhood dream at last.
I'd settle for a Pipboy or Lela's wrist doohickey.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #14
More brain tumors for everyone!

Old 03 March 2013   #15
I don't think I want to be around (I probably won't be), when 50 years from now, no one will be able to tell the difference between a car and dog without google glasses. Wasn't already enough with people not even walking without looking at their "smart"phones?

I do see this as having some pretty neat applications though. Image a fireman with this glasses, in the middle of fire and smoke, feeding them information about victims locations and their vital signs. Now that would be something.

Thread Closed share thread