Looking at 3DCoat: would anyone who's used it recommend it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by leigh: Yeah I must say, I'd never, ever buy anything from a company that preaches to people on its site or attempts to set boundaries for what their product can be used for. It's a bloody 3D application, I don't want a lecture on sexual immortality and "evil thoughts".

Yah, the closest most 3D artists get to sex is by making their own GFs in 3D anyway :P

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by wancow: interesting, it does seem to have good ploygon modelling tools

Youtube Video

Those are part of the before discussed retopo tools, and they are considered very good actually.

Old 03 March 2013   #33
Hey, if I can easily add polygons in a manner that makes sense, bloody hell, I want that app! Besides, I have a an Excriment coated Hedonist Demon to make...

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Well, as long as Andrew doesn't force us to buy his software, no real harm is done IMHO. Has anyone ever read all the restrictions and provisions in, say, an Autodesk license? Not, for instance, being allowed to use the software outside the territory of purchase, among many others, would seem just as strict as anything 3D Coat "throws" at you. And 3D Coat really is quite up-front about it.

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Originally Posted by wancow: Hey, if I can easily add polygons in a manner that makes sense, bloody hell, I want that app! Besides, I have a an Excriment coated Hedonist Demon to make...

You dug yourself up under a rock the last couple years?
Topogun, ZBrush since QRemesher, the next version of mudbox, 3DCoat...
Retopo tools have been on a pleasant roll for a while. Join the fun.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
I used the demo for retopologizing a project and it works fantastically. There were some compatibility issues with GoZ in the version of ZBrush I had just upgraded to but other than that it worked great.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: You dug yourself up under a rock the last couple years?
Topogun, ZBrush since QRemesher, the next version of mudbox, 3DCoat...
Retopo tools have been on a pleasant roll for a while. Join the fun.

You have no idea how deeply under a rock I have been Let's just say I'm updating my skills after a LOOOONG hiatus

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Originally Posted by wancow: Yah, the closest most 3D artists get to sex is by making their own GFs in 3D anyway :P

No way! Most of us probably see enough of our girlfriends without needing to look at 3D versions also.

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Originally Posted by Zykras: I don't really care about the religious background, everyone is free to live their own beliefs.
But what is the worst that could happen if I use it for an "evil" project? They just stop updates or can they deactivate the license or something?

I really don't want to discuss their motives behind this, but I think it's important to know how far this restriction can go for a real project.
The program itself is genius, I tried some of its features and was really impressed. But if I have a big "evil chicks" project or something like that ... do I have to fear restrictions? And to what extend?
I'm pretty sure they revised the EULA a loooooooooooooooong time ago, back when it was at V2. All they do now is request...nothing more...that the artist not use it for illicit, profane material. You can choose to ignore it or not. No drama necessary.

Funny that the same group of people who take serious objection at a developer making a simple request like this...has no problem sticking their noses in other people's business (no Large soda's can be sold in New York...and now no rocking out on your iPhone/iPad), and preaching their platitudes in virtually every movie and TV show.

If I boycotted everything I objected to, I'd have to be a hermit...so don't listen to the folks who get their nickers in a twist over this. It's a non-issue...really

Old 03 March 2013   #40
Originally Posted by AbnRanger: Funny that the same group of people who take serious objection at a developer making a simple request like this...has no problem sticking their noses in other people's business (no Large soda's can be sold in New York...and now no rocking out on your iPhone/iPad), and preaching their platitudes in virtually every movie and TV show.

People posting in this thread were actually doing all that?

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Originally Posted by AbnRanger: Funny that the same group of people who take serious objection at a developer making a simple request like this...

So if I work for tanks simulators, am I a bad person? Violence is everywhere in videogames. Should I starve to keep his believes? What is good or bad is a complex thing.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
Originally Posted by leigh: People posting in this thread were actually doing all that?

Same geopolitical views and ideology...."those dastardly 32 ounce sodas! You (Hardees) Thickburgers are next! Polluting the planet and expanding waste-lines. How dare you?!"

Old 03 March 2013   #43
Originally Posted by mister3d: So if I work for tanks simulators, am I a bad person? Violence is everywhere in videogames. Should I starve to keep his believes? What is good or bad is a complex thing.
That's absurd. This is about the merit of a particular application. If you don't share the developer's religious views, simply ignore it/them. It is just a harmless request.

I don't particularly care for Cameron's attempt to use Avatar to go off on a rant, cramming his geopolitical views on me, after I already paid $10-12 to watch the movie. But I didn't let his views keep me from watching it a few times. It was good art, and I was able to tune out his "message."

Last edited by AbnRanger : 03 March 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #44
Originally Posted by AbnRanger: Same geopolitical views and ideology...."those dastardly 32 ounce sodas! You (Hardees) Thickburgers are next! Polluting the planet and expanding waste-lines. How dare you?!"

Looking at the entire human population as a political dichotomy is foolish at best and downright destructive at worst, you know. Not to mention the fact that assuming that people who don't like some guy's religious rantings on his site means they automatically agree with the banning of sugary drinks and whatnot is frankly stupid.

Your desperate need to pigeonhole people only ends up pigeonholing yourself.

Old 03 March 2013   #45
One would have thought you'd have learned your lesson by now, having been banned from this site at least twice previously for your political and religious ranting, AbnRanger. Protip: when you're banned, it's because we don't want you here. So don't bother coming back.

Thread Closed share thread