Looking at 3DCoat: would anyone who's used it recommend it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
I bought it a couple months ago. I already own Topogun and Zbrush but i dont really have a dedicated 3d texturing solution.

For that feature alone, it is worth it. I stilll willl be using Zbrush to model and Topogun for topology, maybe i might learn some of the other cool features (they are really nice) but i like my workflow.

One thing that blew my mind the other day when texturing in it was you can flip the texture in a layer based on the topology so it will always match up even if the UV's are in a different shape on the other side.

Like i said, i got it just for the texturing abilities, and i am more than happy with how it has performed.

edit:// btw i should add, the texturing is great for personal/boutique solutions (6+ 4k map tiles work very nice), it isnt as friendly for large scale requirement.

Last edited by Phrenzy84 : 03 March 2013 at 10:05 AM.

03 March 2013
I've never seen it being used for sculpting in any studios, but it popped up once or twice at a studio I was at a few years back for retopologising.

03 March 2013
I don't really care about the religious background, everyone is free to live their own beliefs.
But what is the worst that could happen if I use it for an "evil" project? They just stop updates or can they deactivate the license or something?

I really don't want to discuss their motives behind this, but I think it's important to know how far this restriction can go for a real project.
The program itself is genius, I tried some of its features and was really impressed. But if I have a big "evil chicks" project or something like that ... do I have to fear restrictions? And to what extend?

03 March 2013
Those restrictions they enforce on their users should not apply to all countries in the world since we all have our own unique set of consumerlaws which they cannot bypass with their religious madeup rules.

If i buy a product, software or other thing i own the rights to use it as i wish. If the seller still tries to limit and enforce their own madeup policy on me they are breaking the consumer laws which gives me the right to sue them for a lot of money.

This is why i left 3D-Coat behind, no matter how good it may be this is not acceptable treatment of customers.

/ Magnus

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: If i buy a product, software or other thing i own the rights to use it as i wish. If the seller still tries to limit and enforce their own madeup policy on me they are breaking the consumer laws which gives me the right to sue them for a lot of money.

AFAIK the site despite being overly religious doesn't force you to anything: http://3d-coat.com/company/our-voice/
Also how would they ever know you retopo'ed a naked jesus playing with himself ?

03 March 2013
Yeah I must say, I'd never, ever buy anything from a company that preaches to people on its site or attempts to set boundaries for what their product can be used for. It's a bloody 3D application, I don't want a lecture on sexual immortality and "evil thoughts".

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: Yeah I must say, I'd never, ever buy anything from a company that preaches to people on its site or attempts to set boundaries for what their product can be used for. It's a bloody 3D application, I don't want a lecture on sexual immortality and "evil thoughts".

I definitely agree with you. Middle Ages are far away, and so have to stay.

So...this is the victory we longed for.

03 March 2013
So is there any way this relgious stuff can influence a real project?
I don't really care what the creator thinks or writes, as long as I can use the program according to my needs.

I would look into it myself right now, but I only have time during the lunchbreak. So maybe someone with better knowledge could help out?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: Yeah I must say, I'd never, ever buy anything from a company that preaches to people on its site or attempts to set boundaries for what their product can be used for..

That would turn me off buying. I mean what's to stop them expanding their list of banned items whenever they feel like it?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Zykras: So is there any way this relgious stuff can influence a real project?
I don't really care what the creator thinks or writes, as long as I can use the program according to my needs.

I would look into it myself right now, but I only have time during the lunchbreak. So maybe someone with better knowledge could help out?

I have never heard of the program becoming inactive, and only allegations (but never anything substantial) about upgrade refusal, and third hand allegations are worth little much.
I do know from someone I more than trust that they did refuse to sell a license before, because they found the artist's gallery in bad taste (this was a while ago now).

Their website seems to have toned down things a lot too and gone froma religious mandate to a request for empathy with their ideals.

I don't think it will ever amount to anything, as a threat to you producing something, unless you literally go in their own forums pissing in their corn flakes, and I seriously doubt it would ever be a product being de-activated outside of your control, at most I could think the refusal of upgrades to be a sort of plausible scenario if you really trolled them the F out.

I can't promise something on a company's behalf when I have never had anything to do with the company other than toying with their product at work a bit, but I can honestly say I'd be hugely surprised if you'd ever get a professional production endangered the way you seem to fear.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: ...I don't want a lecture on sexual immortality.

Yeah, dealing with it in this lifetime is hard enough, stuff doing it for all eternity.

The irony here of course is that to get around commandment 2, you just have to break commandment 9.

(Heh, check that out: if you look at my post count, this post has made it an inverted - I'm in trouble now.)

03 March 2013
Once any company starts dictating what you can and can't do with something you've purchased AVOID THEM.

03 March 2013
Quote from their website

"That is a request and not a legal demand. "

http://3d-coat.com/company/our-voice/

I guess they are able to refuse new license, but I'm not sure if they can refuse the right to upgrade.

But disabling the software is a no-no.

After all, they did say its not a legal demand. But still....

Downloading the demo now...

03 March 2013
interesting, it does seem to have good ploygon modelling tools

Youtube Video

Thread Closed share thread