Looking at 3DCoat: would anyone who's used it recommend it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Looking at 3DCoat: would anyone who's used it recommend it?

I'm seriously looking at a program called 3DCoat. I have not yet downloaded the demo, though I intend to when my work load gets a little lighter. Has anyone used it and, if you have, would you recommend it and how well did it fit into your pipeline right off the bat?

03 March 2013
I absolutely love it. I never really could get along with zBrush, and 3DCoat is easy to learn and use. The painting tools are very good, retopology based on a sculpt easy.

I talked to this guy (http://www.izmeth.com) - he teaches at VanArts now, and he prefers 3DCoat over any of the other solutions.

03 March 2013
I'm really leaning toward getting it... I'm working in Hexagon now, and it's a little... buggy... but I'm used to it. Does it have decent traditional polygon modelling tools?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by wancow: I'm really leaning toward getting it... I'm working in Hexagon now, and it's a little... buggy... but I'm used to it. Does it have decent traditional polygon modelling tools?

Its pretty much just for sculpting, but if you want polygons it's also good at retopolization. Look for some videos of that on Youtube.

03 March 2013
Okay, so basically, I'd keep using whatever I'm using for traditional work and 3DCoat for sculpting? That sounds interesting. Thank you very much, guys! You helped a lot!

03 March 2013
I am thinking about getting it myself for retopo and painting. It seems like it has come quite a ways since it first came out.

03 March 2013
Just looking at this video makes it exciting to even think about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2qQFh64UI

It's almost reminding me of Rhino, but with more mesh control (Rhino's ability to produce nice meshes is... difficult)

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I am thinking about getting it myself for retopo and painting. It seems like it has come quite a ways since it first came out.

The sculpting side of it is something personal I gather (never used it for that), some like it, some hate it. Never touched it so I can't comment.

The availability for Linux and the retopology tools though have turned a lot of heads. We've picked it up here for a production that required an inane amount of retopo work for some fairly complex stuff, and quite a few people think it the second coming when it comes to that (or at least not as painful as some other tools).

It's at least worth trying in those regards.
You might like it, or you might not, but objectively speaking it's functional. Fairly cheap too, just don't post heathen work done with it anywhere if you ever want to update it

03 March 2013
You guys have basically convinced me to at least spend time with the demo, if not sold me right off... thank you all very, very much, I truly appreciate the input.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: just don't post heathen work done with it anywhere if you ever want to update it

This is the first thing that stops me from buying it.
I can't stand the forced religious moral and freedom stomping the licensing imposes. I feel like I'm dealing with a software from the middle ages.

The developers have been known to enforce their religious licensing (obviously at their discretion), so don't do a satanic big boobed shiva, or your license will be in trouble.

03 March 2013
On that note: I mentioned because I think it's an important enough thing to know, as it will limit what of your work can be exposed to the public if you decide to pursue those (banned) themes in your art.

With that said, that's the whole extent of it, please lets leave it at that without bringing in whether it's reasonable or not, whether as a Wiccan you might be offended or not and so on.

The developer made a choice and they communicate it and manage it rather transparently (it's not like you're not told on the website and find out too late or something), questionable or not. Lets leave it at that and not bring religious discussion in here

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: The sculpting side of it is something personal I gather (never used it for that), some like it, some hate it. Never touched it so I can't comment.

The availability for Linux and the retopology tools though have turned a lot of heads. We've picked it up here for a production that required an inane amount of retopo work for some fairly complex stuff, and quite a few people think it the second coming when it comes to that (or at least not as painful as some other tools).

It's at least worth trying in those regards.
You might like it, or you might not, but objectively speaking it's functional. Fairly cheap too, just don't post heathen work done with it anywhere if you ever want to update it

Yea voxel sculpting is not my cup of tea from what I have tried but retopo and texturing seems to be really nice in it.

03 March 2013
Really? If I were to sculpt a satanic big boobed shemale what would they do? Register me on a black list or something? Send me hate emails? Did they ever did something like that or it's just something you think they could do by reading their terms and conditions?

03 March 2013
They reserve the right to revoke your license and refuse updates. The latter they can enforce, the former I think they will offer a refund for.
It did happen before allegedly, and it is in the EULA, but I haven't found any real accounts of it having happened, so feel free to bolden and triple underline the "allegedly" part.

They also, in the past, refused to sell a license to someone after seeing their gallery, that much I know for sure, I don't know first hand of other measures, but they do seem to feel pretty strongly about it.

Again, just for the sake of discussion and disclosure, lets not get religiously upset about this, please

03 March 2013
Well, I guess they are in their rights. I would not like to sell any of my work to pedophiles or dictators. I hope they are able to do a distinction between fantasy (Lovecraft for exemple) and... and what? Snuff films?? That's evil!

I would be really happy if Adobe/Autodesk would start banning users that work on crappy reality shows like american idols and jersey shore. Or users that use more than 3 lens flares per month... Software auto-destruct!!

Thread Closed share thread