Showreel Dimension Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Showreel Dimension Question

Hello guys,

I'm currently in the process of putting together a showreel for potential employers. I've done a search for some answers about it but I couldn't find anything directly related to my queries.

1. What should the dimensions of the showreel be (ie. HD720)?
2. What format should the showreel be in (ie. .mov, .avi, .mpg)?
3.*What is the best way to send this to employers? Via post on a DVD or on a low res version via a website?

I apologise if this is very basic information for some of you but I really would appreciate your responses.

Ian

03 March 2013
Hey man,

Vimeo seems to be a popular hosting site for reels. I don't think resolution is too important. Almost everyone I've shown my reel to didn't full screen it.

http://vimeo.com/

A lot of people will buy a domain name with free hosting, install a CMS like wordpress on it, and then embed the video. Its not very difficult, and you could set it up in a few hours.

-AJ

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ian27: 1. What should the dimensions of the showreel be (ie. HD720)?

720p tends to be the more convenient format. It doesn't take a year to stream if it's a busy day for the network and provides all the detail you need.

Quote: 2. What format should the showreel be in (ie. .mov, .avi, .mpg)?

Those are all containers, not codecs, which have little impact on something being easily readable or not.
MP4 is always a good container format, it reads on practically anything, as is mpg.
Codec wise just make sure it will play on any OS, as reels are reviewed on Mac, Win and Linux depending on person, facility and room.

Quote: 3.*What is the best way to send this to employers? Via post on a DVD or on a low res version via a website?

That's down to their job submission guidelines.
Some still require hard copies, some won't even accept them.
Make sure you have a vimeo link available, and prepare a handful of burned copies in playable DVD and data both, or be ready to make them.

Most will want a link to your reel and nothing more, only a handful do the hardcopy only thing any more.

03 March 2013
And make sure that if you do use Vimeo, that you use a broadcast filter on it to limit the RGB range from 16-235. If you upload an mp4/h264 codec file, it assumes that it is within 16-235 and expands it back to 0-255. Otherwise your video will look very dark and contrasty. It took me a few goes to get this right!

Have also read that if you upload a wmv file, then it won't alter the footage, but I haven't tried this as yet.

03 March 2013
I must apologise for responding so late. I have had a very busy week teaching at the school so I've only just found a moment to respond now. Thank you so much for your responses, I really do appreciate them.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: 720p tends to be the more convenient format. It doesn't take a year to stream if it's a busy day for the network and provides all the detail you need.

Great news, thank you.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: That's down to their job submission guidelines.
Some still require hard copies, some won't even accept them.
Make sure you have a vimeo link available, and prepare a handful of burned copies in playable DVD and data both, or be ready to make them.

Most will want a link to your reel and nothing more, only a handful do the hardcopy only thing any more.

Originally Posted by Zendorf: And make sure that if you do use Vimeo, that you use a broadcast filter on it to limit the RGB range from 16-235. If you upload an mp4/h264 codec file, it assumes that it is within 16-235 and expands it back to 0-255. Otherwise your video will look very dark and contrasty. It took me a few goes to get this right!

Thank you guys, I'll make sure that I prepare a page on Vimeo. I used to be a website designer many years ago so putting together any additional webpages should be relatively straightforward for me.

This will be my first true 3D showreel. I've been working with 3D for about seven years now but only as a hobbyist or on a few freelance projects. The last couple of years I've been taking it a lot more seriously and I've been studying a lot more intensely during any opportunities that I have had. I would really like to get an opportunity to work with 3D when I return to Australia at the end of this year. So any information that you guys can offer me is really invaluable to me. Thanks again.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread