Roster Teeth: what do they use to render?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Roster Teeth: what do they use to render?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9v...eature=youtu.be

I'm really curious to know what Rooster Teeth are using to render this Anime style render. Anyone know? They're the same guys who used to do Red vs. Blue (Halo fans will know that one), which I think they must somehow have modified the game to make those, but it doesn't seem possible with this...

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Brace yourself, because you might not like the answer...

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
This project was rendered in Poser. Really.

Lead animator Monty Oum rigs, animates, and renders in Poser. Modeling was most likely done in Maya.

In the meantime, enjoy the previous "Red" trailer for RWBY

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Poser? Well proves again: skill > software.
Love the hilarious spinning shotgun scythe fighting style.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Not to derail the topic, even Daz 3D is using 3Delight as a renderer. So on the render side, these tools are pretty top notch. But other than that, these Poser/Daz3D is a specialized tools that is quite useful if it fit your pipeline.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
I'd like to know what plug-ins and techniques they used for this as well. I've seen some newer anime/manga shaders for DAZ that seem close but no idea how they'd be for animation. I've heard different things about how a lot of these kinds of hybrid 3D anime things are done in Poser and even 3ds Max/Maya but I haven't seen anything like a step-by-step tutorial or even a technical breakdown. It'd at least be nice to know how this technique is done to at least have an extra style choice for possible future projects.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Smith Micro is working with RoosterTeeth to put together a behind the scene video which will be released after the RWBY premiere in July.

Originally Posted by ThinkCooper: So I met with the RT team in Austin earlier this week. RWBY, it turns out, uses very little outside Poser to generate the final video. They are modeling their characters in an OBJ friendly tool, then rigging, animating, and rendering inside Poser. All the sword trails, the explosions, the fabric and hair movement, even the final line work of the characters is being handled in PP 2012. They have engineered some really clever methods, with minimal material nodes and combined some tricks from one of Poser's old timers for the trails and particle sprites. It was amazing to see this in real time in Poser. We are working to put some behind the scenes details in a video together, but it will come after they fully launch the project at RTX in Austin Texas this July. Watching Monty work? I was blown away by how adept he is with the Poser interface and shortcut keys. It was almost like the scene out of Minority Report...
quote source: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthr...ll=1#post738156

Old 05 May 2013   #7
That my friends was pretty cool!

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread