When Collaboration kills Creativity

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by JQP: Being a culture far less willing to say "that sucked" might have something to do with it.

That's the same audience that chose not to buy Final Fantasy XIII-2. So they are very much capable of saying something sucks.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by JQP: Being a culture far less willing to say "that sucked" might have something to do with it.

Where did you ever get that idea? If you don't have the opportunity to work in a Japanese studio, I suggest listening to some Japanese commentaries on DVDs. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a great one.

While they are not so blunt as to say "that sucked", which is the most useless criticism anyway, right up there with saying something is "crap", they will be quick to say, "This shot shows you lack skill."
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 03 March 2013   #33
That video shouldn't be watched in the context of cg, which is a collaborative operational work by nature (unless you make a shortfilm or indiegame on your own) It's about revolutionary ideas, art and inventions that have an impact. It's true that there's no community that has ever invented something worth to mention in that sense. Even an inventive duo like Steve Wozniak/Jobs is very rare and they go their own way sooner or later.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Originally Posted by mustique: That video shouldn't be watched in the context of cg, which is a collaborative operational work by nature (unless you make a shortfilm or indiegame on your own) It's about revolutionary ideas, art and inventions that have an impact. It's true that there's no community that has ever invented something worth to mention in that sense. Even an inventive duo like Steve Wozniak/Jobs is very rare and they go their own way sooner or later.

I would say this is about the creative process, not the production of something.

One man comes up with the idea, a team creates it = more creativity than if a committee was in charge of coming up with the ideas. That is, according to the video.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Originally Posted by teruchan: Where did you ever get that idea? If you don't have the opportunity to work in a Japanese studio, I suggest listening to some Japanese commentaries on DVDs. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a great one.

While they are not so blunt as to say "that sucked", which is the most useless criticism anyway, right up there with saying something is "crap", they will be quick to say, "This shot shows you lack skill."

So Square Pictures put themselves in the seat and criticized their own film in the commentary of Spirits Within?

That's kinda more honesty than I've seen in any Western DVD commentary.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
It doesn't take a master of observation to notice that northeast Asians are more cooperative and agreeable, and less prone to criticism.

Oh, wait, I forgot the cardinal rule of nerddom: criticizing American audiences is always right, but making observations about foreign audiences that don't amount to praise is always wrong. Back to your regularly scheduled nerd PC programming.

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread