3D printing and professional discretion.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
3D printing and professional discretion.

Hello. I wonder if anyone could help. I am at a stage where I wish to prototype a 3d design I have worked on, but wish for it to remain out of the public domain until I secure rights etc. How would one normally go about confidentiality agreements etc?

Also, would leasing or renting a 3d printer be a realistic alternative?

Many thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Most printing services have rules about confidentiality and the client retaining ownership of the models, any that don't (like shapeways community) have options to make something available or private.

Are you worried they would literally steal the design and then end up in a lawsuit? Then you'll probably want your own printer.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Originally Posted by hypercube: Are you worried they would literally steal the design and then end up in a lawsuit? Then you'll probably want your own printer.

Yeah pretty much. I have been working on it for a while with a buddy and resources and time are thin on the ground. To pass over our labour of love to a company ( and it's many employees ) scares me a bit. I have been on the receiveing end of dishonesty in this industry twice now and the advice I received was ' should of got a good lawyer first '.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Renting a printer if you're not experienced would be impractical. I would think a place like shapeways would have some info on that type of details as far as confidentiality, you can definitely keep it from public but I don't know about how shapeways itself views your content.

With some of the more professional printing services like say Ownage I'm sure they have a good agreement, considering they do a lot of work for companies that would require the same type of deal.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Originally Posted by grrinc: 'should of got a good lawyer first '.

This is probably the way to go. You should be able to protect it whether its patented or not.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: This is probably the way to go. You should be able to protect it whether its patented or not.

I guess I am trying to minimise expenditure. Perhaps I am being naive ( again ). What I am trying to protect is not any technical design but an idea. If you see the model, you see the idea.

I guess a lawyer is the next step then really.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
If it's a prototype to see if it works before a patent, I could see why, but if it's just the idea, why not try for a patent or at least a copyright before going to that phase, with the designs on paper or renderings etc.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Originally Posted by hypercube: If it's a prototype to see if it works before a patent, I could see why, but if it's just the idea, why not try for a patent or at least a copyright before going to that phase, with the designs on paper or renderings etc.

Thanks. I have lots of renderings and the full 3d model. We have lots of other artwork too to supplement the idea including packaging designs and promotion. All we need now is to physically feel and play with the product.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Originally Posted by grrinc: If you see the model, you see the idea.

Why not get the model printed in separate parts by different companies so none of them gets to see the model in completed form? Many 3D models get printed in several parts (because they sometimes can't be done in one go) and then stuck together, so all you would need to do is make sure the parts were all printed to the same scale.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Originally Posted by Dillster: Why not get the model printed in separate parts by different companies so none of them gets to see the model in completed form? Many 3D models get printed in several parts (because they sometimes can't be done in one go) and then stuck together, so all you would need to do is make sure the parts were all printed to the same scale.

Hey that's not a bad idea too. The product we have would be made up of parts. Thanks for that thought.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
hehe, you aren't building a bat suite do you?

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Originally Posted by grrinc: ' should of got a good lawyer first '.

Yes, because lawyers are known for their honesty and trustworthiness...

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Originally Posted by musashidan: Yes, because lawyers are known for their honesty and trustworthiness...

I think he meant more for their professional opinion, which is probably wise to have.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Originally Posted by derOesi: hehe, you aren't building a bat suite do you?

That's the first thing I thought of too

Old 03 March 2013   #15
I think you should go to the lawyer.

Thread Closed share thread