Professionalism.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I once advised a student that d3sturb3d0ne@gmail.com probably wasn't a good address for his resume but gmail itself is fine.

This is a better point than the "@gmail" one. I have seen many so-called "professional" email addresses which were obviously the same as their personal email, or were some gawdawful name they chose when they were 16. Jeez, free email is free. Get a version of your name and use that for professional communications. Nobody is impressed or amused by your "beerhunter@whatever.com" or "pantyslayer@whatever.com " address.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by grrinc: Well my original post about Gmail was security related but I didn't want my OTT anti Google rants to derail thread. Essentially, an IT friend of mine works for a company that does not deal with gmail in anyway due it's failure to meet some security requirements. Gmail emails never reach the building, nor get sent too.

Gmail is by far the safest free service out there in almost every possible regard. It's definitely safer and more secure than almost any enterprise solution except for the largest and most maintained out there.

Of course its visibility makes it prone to attack compared to something nobody knows exists (usual thing: how do you steal something in a house you don't know the location of), but Google's generous bounties and relatively transparent approach and fostering of white hats also places them very high in the IT world.

THE only objections, by seasoned, extremely well clued and handsomely paid IT security experts (a good friend has some bounties claimed as well) to gmail I've ever seen are all related to the fact that basically anything that public and with a webclient will always be prone to more attacks than a secluded solution.

It takes a mis-placed, silly level of paranoia to ban gmail on any company's side, usually one coming from "too little knowledge" kind of incompetence, or some extremely strict policies due to particular clearances (DoD contractors, political contractors, people dealing with some consulates, certain territories etc.).

For the average person out there GMail, if you observe basic safety/security procedures and have a well hidden master account somewhere used for nothing else, and never logged in on publicly, with two steps authentication, is somewhere in the 99.9 percentile.

As for the OP: You've been given a lot of rubbish, or some very dated and backwards notions, or a mix of both.
I know of not one place that shuns non-owned domains.

The web and how we interact and navigate it has changed in the last few years. Domains are worth almost nothing for most, where you pop up on a search engine is A LOT more important to be found, even if your site is a third level domain under wordpress.
A reliable, accessible address like gmail is better than most cheap domain and hosting SPs mailboxes, as is a paid for account on wordpress, or even the free one.

Old 03 March 2013   #33
Whatever you do, don't use a yahoo or AOL email account - or if you have one of those, get a gmail account to communicate, otherwise you'll be marked as "old-fashioned" and "out of touch with modern times" by teens and young persons in their twenties.

Seriously - it's happened to me and a colleague of mine.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
I'm in my mid thirties, and not that hip, and I shudder every time I see a Yahoo or AOL account

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Actually, when it come to Yahoo or AOL, its about the stability of the company. This is why redirection is important. johndoe@rhythmandhues-us.com sounds cool, until its not available.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: Whatever you do, don't use a yahoo or AOL email account - or if you have one of those, get a gmail account to communicate, otherwise you'll be marked as "old-fashioned" and "out of touch with modern times" by teens and young persons in their twenties.

Seriously - it's happened to me and a colleague of mine.

Honestly, why would you care what teens and young people in their twenties think about
the email account you use being old fashioned? Have young folk become that sissified
to be making an issue of that?

High up there on the list of silly concerns.

Avoid yahoo like the plague for its very weak security though...

Last edited by Tama : 03 March 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Originally Posted by lo: I think this e-mail issue is so inconsequential to your career that even discussing it here is a waste of your time better spent learning something new.

Could you imagine this conversation?

You have the silly impression that someone would even bother to read that e-mail.

Any time you put up a job ad you get hundreds of e-mails, most of them from India, so when an HR person wades through those e-mails "asshat9000@hotmail.com" goes straight in the trash, assuming he wasn't picked off by the firewall provider already.

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: You have the silly impression that someone would even bother to read that e-mail.

Any time you put up a job ad you get hundreds of e-mails, most of them from India, so when an HR person wades through those e-mails "asshat9000@hotmail.com" goes straight in the trash, assuming he wasn't picked off by the firewall provider already.

Can't say I agree with your HR/Firewall policies then.

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Okay. This should put the cat amongst the pigeons.

My concerns over Gmail and security is not about hacking and exploitation. It is about Google's polices regarding how they snoop. In the UK, a number of medical and health departments will not contact patients using Gmail because it fails a very specific security requirement. The chap who I mentioned earlier who works in the IT department of a network and telecommunication department cannot touch Gmail for the same reason.

A quick search will yield similar discussions about Gmail and Google.

I have mentioned here on many occasions that CG is only a hobby to me so I cant claim to be any kind of expert or guide on how one should runs own business. But if you expect some of your work to be outside of the entertainment industry, I'd at least look into why Gmail has this shadow hanging over it.

Old 03 March 2013   #40
I wouldn't go to the expense of registering your own domain name. I think if you run a business that would be a different story, but for an artist it doesnt seem to count that much. I have seen some really famous folk using just a standard blog for their site. What is not standard is the quality of the work.

I reckon you should put all your effort into making a brilliant folio and there are plenty of free alternatives that are more than enough for you to use as a platform.

Old 03 March 2013   #41
I have never rejected a demo reel or resume due to an email address.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Of course its visibility makes it prone to attack compared to something nobody knows exists (usual thing: how do you steal something in a house you don't know the location of), but Google's generous bounties and relatively transparent approach and fostering of white hats also places them very high in the IT world.
Security by obscurity, an antiquated concept. I put up a new server a week ago and within 3 hours I got the usual "Remote user 'a' has been disconnected due to invalid login attempts". Being found digitally is not hard when any script kiddie can scan for open ports needed for business use. Lately, most clients have been very willing to embrace security so that's a blessing. Usually they need a hacker to pull their shirt over their head before they consider it.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: It takes a mis-placed, silly level of paranoia to ban gmail on any company's side, usually one coming from "too little knowledge" kind of incompetence, or some extremely strict policies due to particular clearances (DoD contractors, political contractors, people dealing with some consulates, certain territories etc.).
DoD was who I was referring to but HIPAA, NCUA, FDIC. If you are required to follow compliance regulations then sometimes you don't have a choice but to 'deny all'.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #43
Wink

Luckily I was never in the position of hiring. But if you ask me, I would not deny @gmail, unless the cases I mention (banking, security). .com or not .com, I don't mind either. So does @yahoo or @aol.

But anything logically offensive on the email name, or too strange of attitude, it a turn off. It just like going to an interview dressed like a homeless person. The person might be good, but in short time available, how do you know that person doesn't just download an image from internet gallery? What about the cost of 3 month probation in salary? In missing opportunity if you managed to hire the right person? Not to mention of the email address shows something of darker nature? For example hate group? what if you currently employ a group of people that this person might hate? All the pictures on the net shows that some people are willing to point out their preferences, even when choosing email name.

Most popular example usually email name with hint to sexual connotation. With company being scared of sexual harassment suit, some might stay away out of fear (who started first and who at fault is another story. Dr Warren Farrel have some interesting talks with interesting data).

True story: I once work at a company, and the person I replaced, get this, write directory name in hacker speak. "bAcKup dAtA" and the likes. And we are talking about hundreds of directory, "Pr3sent4tion SliD3s". Imagine trying to use Search on these directories. I don't know if we can catch such people via their email name, but I think you get my point.

A smoke doesn't mean fire, but it does mean something.

Old 03 March 2013   #44
Originally Posted by fablefox: But anything logically offensive on the email name, or too strange of attitude, it a turn off.

This.

Don't assume everyone in this industry in a hiring position shares the same outlook on politics, sex, race, religion or life as you do - or that they're not occasionally petty or uncaring with their decisions (they are human after all).

Note that this doesn't mean you have to be boring with your choice of email address - and I would think most of us already have reasonable and interesting email addresses that are perfectly fine for sending out with job applications.

Old 03 March 2013   #45
Gmail is perfectly fine, but I believe you can use "gmail" with your domain as well if you want to get fancy. Although that might have a cost as well, not sure.

Quote: A smoke doesn't mean fire, but it does mean something
Yeah thats kinda true, better to avoid any controversy with a possible employer

Thread Closed share thread